Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Edward.21
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

what colours?

Post by Edward.21 »

hi
im currently restoring a van and im not to fond of the origional colour (my father describes it as sick green) and i was wondering what i should do. will it affect the value if its not the factory colour but still an origional one such as good old trafalgar blue? or if its not the factory colour does it make much differance what colour i paint it? im not intending to sell it when its done but i didn't want to cross some unspoken tabbo about painting a moggy :lol: :wink:
thanks in advance
You are unique Just like everyone else
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Re: what colours?

Post by chrisryder »

I'd say do what you like! Don't plough lots of money into something that you'll look at every day and think 'i still don't like that colour'.

On the other hand, there were two official shades of 'sick green'. Both of which were only used for about a year each. So it could be worth keeping it in its slightly uncommon colour.

Sage green:

Porcelain green:
Edward.21
Minor Fan

Post by Edward.21 »

it neither of those colours its more marine green. ill see if i can get a pic up.
Edward.21
Minor Fan

Post by Edward.21 »

could not work out the pic but this colour is remarkably similar
http://www.goldstarstockists.net/live/c ... 50023.html
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

The thing about the LCV vans is that you can paint them in any colour you like as they were often liveried in owners colours anyway. The LCV register might have more details on the paint code your one was originally finished in as I understand the Van colours differed at times from the saloons. Lindsey Porter's book from memory also had a paint code and colour section at the rear , might be worth seeing if your library can get a copy of it.
Edward.21
Minor Fan

Post by Edward.21 »

Our library close down two months ago due to budget cuts :/ I think I've made a decision she's going to be black pearl with orange details. Unless anyone else can think of a better colour sceam?
customjob
Minor Fan

Post by customjob »

As someone said about rare green colours Porcelain green was one and if i'm right i think i am the other one was Gascoyn green. It a personel choice as to what colour you paint it or have it painted but it's an expensive mistake if you don't like the colour choice in the first palce. Colours and codes have been in other threads on here in the past Potteries branch have a good link to colours and codes.