Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
WHOOSH!
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Introduction

Post by WHOOSH! »

Hello everyone.

My name is Barny and I figured as I joined today I will introduce myself. I am 18 and have just finished college. I am also a glider pilot. I have also just purchased this lovely moggie which I have affectionatly named "Annie". She is currently located in a barn and will be transfered to her new home (a garage of somesort) very soon. I intend to get her to roadworthy condition so she can be enjoyed for a long time to come as she has not run since 1985! I am reletively new to the mechanical side of things so I will no doubt be scouring through the resources on here :D Any help is also very much appreciated. Some pics to follow.
(Does anyone know exactly what colour she is? Im thinking dove grey with tartan red interior but im not sure as she is very dusty) :-?
She is missing the dizzy and the spark plugs at the moment but if you spot anything else please let me know
[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Introduction

Post by IaininTenbury »

It depends on the year of the car (the A plate could be a replacement for an non year letter plate thats been sold off at some stage). It looks more like Yukon Grey which is a 60-61 era colour.

Pic shows a Dove grey car for comparison (I can't find a Yukon Grey pic but know that its darker!)[frame]Image[/frame]
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
youngcamper
Minor Fan

Post by youngcamper »

it looks like rose taupe to me, you've also got a standard model with single tone interior, which isn't that common :)
Will
ImageImageImage
________1967-Lily________________________1963-Phoebe_______________________1965-Dobby_________
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Or it could indeed be Rose taupe! Much more of a warm brown than Yukon grey. Has been described on this site as 'Drinking Chocolate'!
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
WHOOSH!
Minor Friendly

Post by WHOOSH! »

I did a DVLA check and the results came up as being first registered in December 1962 so its right on the borderline of the two series of modern moggies as I understand.

Having searched the net for rose taupe it does indeed look like that to me. (lots of dust though :S) and does the single tone interior mean its harder to find these days?

beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Welcome to the forum, looks like the coil is missing as well, it is usually fixed on top of the dynamo. Good luck with the resto.

WHOOSH!
Minor Friendly

Post by WHOOSH! »

Thanks for the input. Starting to generate a list of what it needs now :D

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Interior looks just like my Traveller did originally - (1962) (Rose Taupe/Tartan red interior) a replacement interior is not hard to find, either on this site or from Ebay.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
WHOOSH!
Minor Friendly

Post by WHOOSH! »

Haha well the interior is not the issue. Its the engine bay im worried about :roll:

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

For the year it should be 948cc engine. All parts are available from Morris Minor parts suppliers (new spark plugs) or put a post in the Wanted section of this site (dizzy)?

Any questions ask away! :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
youngcamper
Minor Fan

Post by youngcamper »

WHOOSH! wrote:I did a DVLA check and the results came up as being first registered in December 1962 so its right on the borderline of the two series of modern moggies as I understand.

Having searched the net for rose taupe it does indeed look like that to me. (lots of dust though :S) and does the single tone interior mean its harder to find these days?

As ASL642 said the interior isn't hard to find, you can get replacement parts equally as easily. You just don't seem to see the single tone interior as often :)
Will
ImageImageImage
________1967-Lily________________________1963-Phoebe_______________________1965-Dobby_________
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Newton Commercial will make you a new one.... you just need to sell a kidney first! :lol:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
WHOOSH!
Minor Friendly

Post by WHOOSH! »

Well the one thing I will need is a new carpet as this one is a bit off colour and mouldy/dusty. I know ESM sell sets that you dont
have to give an arm and a leg for! :D

tomas.geoghegan
Minor Fan

Post by tomas.geoghegan »

hi could be claridon grey like mine??
Tomas

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Clarendon Grey finished in 1956 Tomas I'm almost certain it's Rose Taupe (1962 - open gloveboxes - like mine with no covers)

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The spark plugs missing means the engine will almost certainly be seized. DO NOT attempt to turn it!! Pour a 50/50 mix of diesel (or paraffin) and thin oil down the spark holes and leave it for at least a week - tea cup full in each one ! Then very carefully try to rock the engine back and forth to see if it will turn at all. Almost certainly though it will be a complete strip down and rebuild. The brakes will be seized on and the clutch will be rusted to the flywheel.... :cry:
ImageImage
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

That's a bit harsh BMC. The brakes may be seized, but not the end of the world, and as we all know everything is fixable on a Morris Minor - it may just take a little longer...... :lol: :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

I would say its rose taupe. Here's another AJH***A owned by Chris Drummond here in NI.[frame]Image[/frame]

WHOOSH!
Minor Friendly

Post by WHOOSH! »

Thanks for the reply BMC.

I did expect things like the clutchplate and brakes to be siezed but thats characteristic of a car having stood since 1985. Hopefully the engine wont be siezed as it is in a no moisture area. I think WD40 will be my friend. :D

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Looks like Rose Taupe clean a section off :D