Split Screen Traveller - new acquisition.

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
gtt1951
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Split Screen Traveller - new acquisition.

Post by gtt1951 »

Hello Folks, although I am new to the MMOC and this message board, I'm not new to Moggies. I used to own both a 2-door
1964 Saloon (Series V, I think) and a 1963 Traveller (series 3 - with the "clap hands" wipers).
I may well be wrong regarding designations.
I was surprised by the number of spares I still had, tucked away in the shed at the bottom of the garden!
I even located my original Haynes Manual (not so good in comparison to the Autobook one, which I used to have, couldn't find and have got a copy off Fleabay).
Until a few weeks ago, I hadn't owned a Morris Minor since 1989 (or thereabouts).
My very recent acquisition is a 1956 Series II, Split-Screen Traveller (20,000 short of the very last one).
I have a couple of questions, to start (lots more will, most probably, follow):-
(1) Should all Travellers from this period have black carpeting, rather than colour-coded (as I have)?
(2) Does anyone produce the rubber weather-seal for the wind winder channel regulator (Bull Motiff sell
the metalwork, but no rubbers)?
Picture of it arriving home (in the rain), attached/uploaded.
Best Regards to all.[frame]Image[/frame]
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: Split Screen Traveller - new acquisition.

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Very nice traveller :D , looks to be in good condition but (if it is roadworthy) I would have driven it home......
Much more fun!! :P
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
mbo145
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by mbo145 »

Well how exciting for you!
As you can see I have a very similar one to you mine is Feb 1956.
Series 2 travellers had a rubber mat which covered the floor in one section, I have the remains of mine, but it is in poor condition. The deluxe models had carpeted bits over the inner wing at the front!
Extras for deluxe models were front overiders, leather upholstery and a heater.
There should be a block of ash above the inner wings at the rear, the rear armrest is fixed to these at the back.
If you need any more advice, I am happy to help if I can.
Next year is the 60th anniversary of the Morris Traveller and the 100th Anniversary of Morris, there will be a Morris Traveller event in Oxford which you may want to join.
Enjoy the Morris! :D
Phil
My 1956 Series 11 Traveller! Bought when I was 17 (1985)....sold 6 years (1991) later......bought back 9 years after that! (2000) With 6 different owners in the middle, what a lucky boy I am!
gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

Hello Mike and Phil,
Thanks for the replies. Mine was first registerd in September 1956. Apparently, it left the UK and was then
re-registered in 1963, hence the wrong year-related registration number.
Interesingly enough, my 1964 1098cc saloon (with triple spoke steering wheel) did not have a modern 1964 plate, but one from the 1950's period - 234 BVB (I miss that number). The 1963 948cc Traveller (most of the spares were from that, but not enough parts to satisfy DVLA, although I have the registration documents still, of letting me re-use its index number of 6717PJ).
A previous owner had the outside resprayed in Almond Green but, I believe, the inside is still Emprire Green.
When bought, the car did not have an MOT or current Tax and, with poor brakes, could not be driven on the public highway.
Under the new, very stupid, laws, I could be driving this after November 18th, on the road, without an MOT!
I will be replacing the brake pipes and the 2 seized "trailing" front wheel cylinders before submitting the vehicle to an MOT to
satisfy myself that my repairs pass muster, before driving on public roads.
The car is already insured, so driving to a pre-booked appointment at a testing station is OK by the DVLA.
I very much hope to have this car up and running for the special celbrations in 2013. I'm also planning to refit an 803cc engine
(which I have already bought), to make the car period original.
Regards, George.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I will be replacing the brake pipes and the 2 seized "trailing" front wheel cylinders
Replace all the cylinders while you are at it, just doing half is a false economy.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

Hello MarkyB,
I will be replacing all 6 cylinders, the metal and flexi pipes and I even have a NOS 7/8" bore Lockheed Master cylinder,
just in case, although the existing one was replaced in about 1999, as was virtually the whole floor pan and most
of the members in 2000.
George.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Hi George, and welcome! I have an October 56 traveller and its the newest one known to the register thats kept for how many S11 travellers are left. If you want to contact the guy that keeps the register its Mark Howard email mark319 at btinternet.com and let him know that you are the new owner. This year there were 8 S11 travellers at the National rally, thats the most Ive seen yet!

Regarding the weather strip heres a link to both types sold by ESM

original type http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... 19fb056bf9

more modern rubber type http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... bf50e95d6d

Too many Minors so little time.....
gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

David,
Thanks for the reply and the 2 web links to window rubbers. Apologies for the delay in replying.
The actual rubber I'm after is the one that goes in the window regulator lift channel - please see
the attached picture, which shows my original rusted and fallen off one (fell off as the car was
still on the transporter) and the Bull Motiff replacement that comes with no rubber supplied.
I think its purpose is to deflect any water that gets in, away from the winding mechanism.
I haven't yet looked behind the trim card of the passenger door, but that will probably need
replacimng at some time too.
I am posting this in the correct place, General Discussion, or should it go elsewhere?
Regards, George.[frame]Image[/frame]
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

I couldn't find one when I was looking for this part, so will be interested if you locate a supplier.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I don't think it's a moulding just a bit of sheet rubber.
You could recreate one from an old inner tube.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

According to the latest Birmingham MM Centre catalogue, they do them - part numbers EXC 108/9 Channel - regulator RH/LH, EXC 107 - Strip glazing - door glass - might be worth giving them a call. 0121 544 5522 or e mail enquiries@davidmanners.co.uk

Failing that, if you find an old S2/1000 2 door or Traveller door, you may find useable second hand parts in those. Good luck :D