Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
GPO_Van
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: HOW SAFE ARE WE?

Post by GPO_Van »

bethfewster wrote:Thinner wheels are better in fresh snow, without a doubt because, as you said, they just cut through the snow. Some people actually prefer to drive mogs in the winter and snow, they're less likely to get stuck than a fair few modern cars, and as long as you know how to control them on ice they're great to drive in winter :D
Because we where young and maybe foolish we used to play on the GPO car parks in our moggy vans, usually a Saturday when the bosses where not in.
Deliberately throwing the van into skids on ice and snow, it actually improved our driving, we had lots of practice at controlling skids.
I think all learners should go on a skid pan so they know what to do in the event of a skid.
Regards
Reg
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Modern cars are undoubtedly safer but people still sadly die in them, I use my 1956 model on a very regular basis, no seatbelts, frequently carrying passengers. It very rarely goes above 40 MPH and feels built like a tank, not bothering me in the slightest. I should also add that there is strong evidence of a frontal impact in the past, with new wings and shattered windscreen glass in nooks and crannies under the dash, but the owner lived to a ripe old age.

My grandad told me that, decades ago when he ran a Hillman Imp, on long journeys my mum as a child used to sleep on the rear parcel shelf as it was warm from the engine! That car incidentally caught fire as the loom burnt out.

Makes you wonder how the human race isn't extinct! :roll:
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I'd rather be back then and take the risk than be wrapped in cotton wool today. There's a playground for kids where I used to work, I walked over it a while ago-----It's made with rubberizes asphalt!!!! Can't have kids getting cuts and bruises. :roll:

lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

it was the pre-historic health and safety that kept the human race going ,inspecting caves, hunting grounds and the food they consumed, if it wasn't for the jobs worth we wouldn't be :roll: around.Didn't you know ?
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

If you could predict the future and knew there was an unavoidable accident coming you could maybe pick the car that would survive that accident best. Other than that it's defensive driving, probability and other things that aren't easy to factor in advance.

For example, I've heard of a 2cv that drove down the verge of a motorway into a field to avoid a reckless driver crashing just ahead and being hit from behind. Having the high ground clearance the 2cv could drive down the rough verge without digging in or rolling. Conventional wisdom would have the 2cv being crushed like tinfoil in a pile-up situation.

A Minor might be distinctive enough to be seen by someone who might have otherwise crashed into an unwashed silver hatchback that has blended into it's urban background on a grey day. Statistics aren't kept on near misses because nothing happened to record.

That said, additional rear seatbelts and better brakes can't do any harm.
Jonah681
Minor Fan

Post by Jonah681 »

Agreed that modern cars are safer, but does that lull you into a false sense of security. I am often 'cut up' by drivers pulling in front of me (then usually braking) where I have left a decent braking distance. If I then plough into them, I would get the blame.

Defensive driving is your best option regardless of the car. It's the ones surrounding you that you should worry about.

In addition, it depends on the type of accident. I remember a few years back when a lorry tipped sidways, landing on a car. The police said the rounded roof and strength of the 'Moggy' saved the occupants - a modern car would have collapsed, probably killing them.
faversham999
Minor Fan

Post by faversham999 »

If you are worrying about safety Its not the car for you . I will be safe in my morris because it always happens to someone else ever me. PS I like cycling in London

MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

That's the way to learn defensive driving!
A useful side effect is that you become a bit of a mind reader :)

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Ratbag

Post by Ratbag »

bmcecosse wrote:On the Trav there's only two sticks of wood at the back ....and then the petrol tank will be crushed........ :oops: :cry: :roll:
... and (on mine) the 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle the towbar is mounted on!
Robbie/Mort
Minor Friendly

Post by Robbie/Mort »

Hi
I use my traveller "mort" every day including school run with my girls 4 and 7.
They both have good booster seats with side and neck protection just in case we
have a accident. Hopefully we don't have a accident but you never know who is
driving the other car.
Safe and happy driving :D

Robbie/Mort
customjob
Minor Fan

Post by customjob »

As Welshrat said these small and supermini sized cars leave little or no impact area at the rear. It's frighting to say that these types of new car have only started to be euro ncap rear crash tested in the past six months results will be out later this year 2013. Any small or supermini type car that is 2 or more years old wont be tested as most cars are redesigned for ncap compliance.

neil4030
Minor Friendly

Post by neil4030 »

Thanks everyone; Horace now in daily use! Failed MOT yesterday on brakes!! Never mind, there is nothing I like better than lying on my garage floor, loud music in back ground to drown out swearing....[frame]Image[/frame]
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Never mind, there is nothing I like better than lying on my garage floor, loud music in back ground to drown out swearing....
You know you'd miss it...................
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
daveyl
Minor Fan

Post by daveyl »

I trained as a driving instructor years ago and did the job for a few years. I only mention this as up until that point I thought that I was a reasonably good driver, with only one minor accident in 8 years.
I was shocked to find that I wasn't a very good driver. Defensive driving (me thinks) is really the art of 'seeing and predicting' what is going on way, way, way, way, ahead, around and behind of you. And keeping a cool head. Basically, lifting your field of vision. None of these things I did and I only really reacted to situations as I got there (if that makes sense).

I've noticed that in recent years the DVLA have introduced onto the theory test a simulated test (a film) where the candidate, has to point at the 'potential' hazards coming toward them. Miss enough of them and you will fail.

I'd like to tell you that armed with this education that I'm now the best driver that can be found. But I'd be telling a lie. I'm prone to stupidity and every so often have to go back to basics. If you've ever been on a defensive driving course, you'll know what I mean.
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Riding a motorbike makes defensive driving second nature. In fact, everyone should be made to sit a bike test prior to getting a car licence.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Seconded!

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
JPX877J
Minor Fan

Post by JPX877J »

Anyone willing to donate their Minor for Euro NCAP rating? :lol: :lol: :lol:
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

The Hazard Perception test is a joke for experienced drivers (hopefully) who understand that hazards can come from anywhere i.e. are potential hazards ,but if you press for too many possibles hazards, you fail !!!!!!,
as the program thinks you are randomly pressing the button. :roll:
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
old sea horse
Minor Friendly

Post by old sea horse »

I am a retired technician, I have spent thousands of hours repairing cars over a period of more than three decades and my conclusion regarding Morris Minors in an accident situation is..................watch out moderns! I am no structural engineer, but with all the experience of nursing cars through MOT's my practical material handling experience is second to none.

If you look at some of the components of the Morris, i.e. the doors, they are FOUR times heavier than moderns, so even with reinforcing bits are better in a side swipe situation. Having welding plenty of Morris's in the past, I know that the steel is generally two to three times thicker than moderns in ALL areas so would agree that a Minor is superior if you compare it with say a Citroen Saxo, Ford Ka or any similar sized car, and personnaly I reckon its superior to a lot of mid range modern saloons as well. Downside? seats and steering wheel column are less safe. But personally, I would rather be in a Morris in a medium/high speed accident any time. But by choice drive defensively!
Roni
Minor Fan

Post by Roni »

[frame]Image[/frame]