Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
neil4030
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

HOW SAFE ARE WE?

Post by neil4030 »

I am considering using my traveler as a daily driver!
I obviously love driving it and we all know how cheap they are to run and maintain. We also get lots of pleasure out of maintaining them, club events and so on. Compared to my modern Volvo, the Morris wins hands down every time except in one area and that's safety. Financially, I could do with selling one of the cars and I am very strongly tempted to make it the Volvo and to run my lovely Traveler full time instead. However, I have got myself into a bit of a 'tizzy' relevant to more regularly using a classic on 21st century roads. No air bags, crumple zones, collapsible steering columns, side impact bars; the list goes on. One particularly graphic Australian website described that a Minor driver involved in even a moderate collision would be 'dog-food!'
I do have proper Newton seats with head-rests and seat belts and the car is in A1 condition.
Does anyone have any thoughts? Am I being a bit over cautious perhaps? Should I just stop being a wimp and get on with it and put the worry of impalement to one side?? Does anyone out there regularly transport children about in a Minor as I have a youngish son who would be in mine more often; if I kept the Traveler?
Lets have a healthy debate>>>>>>>>>
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: HOW SAFE ARE WE?

Post by bmcecosse »

There is no doubt modern cars are much much safer in an accident. A Traveller is particularly vulnerable in a rear end shunt...hardly any protection behind you. It's up to you - all you can do is drive defensively........and perhaps add a high level brake light so others can at least see that you are braking...... :roll:
ImageImage
customjob
Minor Fan

Post by customjob »

A car or any car for that matter is only as safe as the person driving it. You can be seriously injured or be killed in the safest of modern cars just as you can in a moggie. It depends on the method of impact, head on in a moggie or a modern it could go either way. Offset impacts in either again could go either way. Think this way modern cars are designed for a crash structure to survive up to 50 MPH before deformation of the occupant zone. You have an offset impact at 60 MPH with a car from the oppositte direction it will be fatal for one or more persons in either car.

plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Just put this to the back of your mind - you could be run over by a bus tomorrow :)
However, I understand what you mean as driving standards these days are apalling - try riding a motorcycle :o
A minor will not cushion a bump as well as a modern, but the shell is a lot stronger than you'd imagine as they were over engineered. Keep up with modern traffic and you'll be fine - bimbling along in the slow lane I feel exposes you to more hazards.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I use mine as everyday transport and I wouldn't have it any other way given a choice in the matter.
I would recommend servo assisted front disc brakes but others will say that even they are unnecessary.
I also have a 1275 ex-MG Midget engine in mine but that was partly down to my 1098 engine needing a rebuild and this coming up, already rebuilt, for the right price.
Another reason was that I like visiting places like the peak district and found my old engine struggled there, however I will say that on the flat and even given a good run at a hill, the 1098 pulled very well and managed to keep up with modern traffic perfectly adequately.
Additionally when I first drove it home from Manchester I didn't think twice about joining the motorway, so I still think a 1098 is a good engine.
Safety wise, I have fitted a high level brake light now after enduring three (very low speed) rear end shunts at road junctions but this is down to the ignorance of others, rather than the fact that I drive an older car.
I will concede however that the lights are very low slung compared to modern cars.............. that and the fact that whatever you drive, other drivers seem to like to be able to sit right up your a**e these days! :x
Overall, just go for it! :D
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

I am not convinced that the small modern cars being produced today are that safe for rear seat passengers. There are many makes and models out there that seem to have just a few inches from the rear seats to the impact point. These little hatchback cars worry me as I cannot see how you would survive a rear end shunt of 30 mph or more. I am no expert but personally would feel much safer sat in the rear of a minor (any sort) than one of these trendy little cars.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

On the Trav there's only two sticks of wood at the back ....and then the petrol tank will be crushed........ :oops: :cry: :roll:
ImageImage
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Ive been driving a Minor everyday for over 18 years, not always the same minor. It will be fine!

Too many Minors so little time.....
Matt Tomkins
Minor Addict
Location: Aston Clinton, Aylesbury, Bucks or Oxford during term time

Post by Matt Tomkins »

I was unfortunate enough to have a rather nasty accident in misty last year, i hit the back of a static 4x4 audi at relatively low speed (around 15mph) and i am still suffering with my back. I also suffered broken ribs and serious whiplash.
the car was written off (though she is now back on the road) but it was clear that she took the brunt of the impact.
my fibreglass front wings helped a little i think, acting as a very primative crumple zone,
one of the key issues though, in my case at least, (i'm a tall chap) is the whiplash from the standard seats.
with your newtons, i would be tempted to say you would be a lot better off.

I now am paranoid, though love my car to pieces, and score and readjust the drums biweekly as well as remembering to leave a colossal stopping distance.

With the trav, rear seatbelts are more easily fitted too (see threads on here) to restrain back seat passengers. In my shunt, the rear seat had jumped forward into the rear of my seat -- hate to think what the concequences would have been if it was occupied!

Despite all of this, i still drive misty every day - i have a very healthy respect for the laws of physics - and would emplore you to do the same

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46862234@N ... 671969048/
http://www.facebook.com/matttomkins

Misty, Morris Minor 2-door, 1970,
fully restored with the help of various of the young members to whom i am forever grateful. http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=43571
Also Mavis, 1960 Factory Tourer, and a '69 Traveller project: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=53487

Join the young owners at: https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/gr ... [sig]11392[/sig]
bethfewster
Minor Friendly

Post by bethfewster »

I own a traveller that i used daily, until september when i took her off road for some light restoration over winter. I then bought a Ford Ka to use as a replacement. I have never felt as safe in the Ka as i did in my trav, and aftet hearing horror stories from various people i personally cant wait to get rid of the ka and get my trav back on the road.

I know of someone who rolled his mog on the motorway, and both he and the passenger walked away with only a few cuts. The police officer there at the time said she'd seen exactly the same thing happen the week before to 2 young girls in a Ka and both had died instantly upon impact.

I dont think there is any issue with driving a mog as a daily drive, there are many modifications that can be done to brakes etc that can make them as good as modern cars. I'd trust mine to save my life over the crappy Ka any day.

My 1965 Traveller 'Rosie'
orb596
Minor Fan

Post by orb596 »

We have many members in the Dorset branch who use their cars on a daily basis. At the end of the day it is your choice but I would have no worries about putting a Minor into daily use.
Laurie Blewer
MMOC member since 1986
Dorset Branch Secretary for ever!!!!
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

It is really interesting that somebody mentioned driving defensively, as a young driver an ex employer forced me on a defensive driving course, ostensibly to reduce the company insurance costs on company cars.
It was one of the best moves they could make from my point of view, it taught me to look for potential accidents before they happen, a lot about distance and when to let traffic by.
I dont think this can obviate all potential problems, but it will make you feel a lot more in control and safer too.
It may also reduce your insurance costs.
Where angels fear to tread
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

I fully agree ,I drive defensively every time I ride my lambretta/vespa; and bikers really need to as there are so many who treat you as second class motorists :evil:
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
neil4030
Minor Friendly

Post by neil4030 »

Very helpful information prompting me to lean further towards keeping my Traveller to run every day. I did (do) worry about a rear end shunt and agree there is the risk of the tank bursting with plenty of wood on hand for the fire! That said, it is certainly true that many modern hatch-backs have the rear seat passengers sitting pretty much against the rear hatch/door. The new shape Panda is a good example of this and many of the bigger people carriers have the rear most seat effectively in the boot area.
I hadn't thought about the high level brake light option so that is very helpful too; brake upgrades and so on.
I think the Newton seats and belts would certainly help hugely in a collision although we can't get away from the fact that any moderate side impact would result in significant intrusion into the cabin. After all, our upper arms rest against the door cards!
If you recall, we had some freezing weather a few weeks ago and I avoided using the Traveller then as I switched directly back into 'wimp-mode' worrying about how stable my car was on it's little thin tyres. I know we are rear wheel drive and I do have the ubiquitous heavy tool bag over the back axle but I wonder (worry) how more likely are we to slide on icy roads? Do you daily drivers out there just plug on through every type of weather without any problem? Does anyone run kids about on a regular basis?
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

Does anyone run kids round on a regular basis? Yes!
My dad ran 3 kids around roof down in his olive green convertible HTY 337, for more years than I can remember.
Mum spent every trip dragging us by the shirt tails to stop us standing on the rear seat, waving back to all the people that seemed hell bent on waving to us kids in the back.
On rainy days with the roof up we all kneeled on the back seat and tucked our heads down in the rear,(no seat belts ) rolling at every bend seeing who could stay up the longest, best when Dad found humps in the road that threw us in the air.
Dangerous? you betcha! But what JOY!
Big brother is 60 next year, I will be 56 and little sis 52.We survived.
As long as your lot are strapped in, the rear bumpers fitted and you drive defensively you'll have the time of your life and the kids will look back like I do with grins as big as Cheshire cats.
God bless sensible Dads with a little fire in their bellys.
Where angels fear to tread
neil4030
Minor Friendly

Post by neil4030 »

You are completely right.
I am keeping my fantastic Traveller and thanks for all the advice![frame]Image[/frame]
neil4030
Minor Friendly

Post by neil4030 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

worrying about how stable my car was on it's little thin tyres.
I drove mine through all the heavy snow we had a year or so back, on standard wheels and tyres, no problem. Weather doesn't stop me, it just makes me drive more carefully.............. as I don't want to damage my car!! ........ :P
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
GPO_Van
Minor Fan

Post by GPO_Van »

jagnut66 wrote:
worrying about how stable my car was on it's little thin tyres.
I drove mine through all the heavy snow we had a year or so back, on standard wheels and tyres, no problem. Weather doesn't stop me, it just makes me drive more carefully.............. as I don't want to damage my car!! ........ :P
With regard to driving in snow, my friend and I discovered that our Morris vans could make it up a local snow covered relatively steep hill, yet his triumph Herald with wide wheels could NOT.
We concluded that it must be the narrower van wheels cut through the snow to a firmer surface while his wider wheels just stayed on top and spun.
Any thoughts on this ladies and gents?
Regards
Reg
bethfewster
Minor Friendly

Post by bethfewster »

Thinner wheels are better in fresh snow, without a doubt because, as you said, they just cut through the snow. Some people actually prefer to drive mogs in the winter and snow, they're less likely to get stuck than a fair few modern cars, and as long as you know how to control them on ice they're great to drive in winter :D

My 1965 Traveller 'Rosie'