Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rogerowen
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Snow, Snow - Quick, Quick...SNOW!

Post by rogerowen »

WPR678B wrote:
brucek wrote:I'll see your chrome bumpers and raise you a Minor bonnet - trust me there is NOTHING and I mENA nothing like a good (or bad) bonnet for shooting down hill at a rapid rate of knots! Also good for stripping back to bare metal too :D I'll expect to see pictures posted tomorrow of the process in action - time to look out the silly hats chaps and chapesses :oops:
We have a bonnet that was converted a few years back!
Here it is in action yesterday! :wink:[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Brilliant! How does it go with an outboard on the back?
That's strange R2, the damage doesn't look so bad from here!
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Good Show Roger - well done! :D

Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

So, we've just had a text from the school to say. "We always consider the childrens health and safety our priority, therefore the school will be closed tomorrow."

Therefore lets take a closer look at this -

When at school:
1) They stay in doors all day.
2) They are not allowed outside incase they fall.
3) They stay in doors where it is warm.
4) They are not allowed to throw snow balls

When school is closed:
1) The kids are outside playing in the roads throwing snow balls at each other.
2) The kids are sliding down hilly roads and hills on home made make shift, none conforming to British Standard sleighs.
3) They refuse to put gloves and wellies on as it is uncool.

Surely they are safer in school??? Unless the schools close for another reason, they don't want to admit too??
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

Coalmossian
Minor Fan

Post by Coalmossian »

Dean wrote:So, we've just had a text from the school to say. "We always consider the childrens health and safety our priority, therefore the school will be closed tomorrow."

Therefore lets take a closer look at this -

When at school:
1) They stay in doors all day.
2) They are not allowed outside incase they fall.
3) They stay in doors where it is warm.
4) They are not allowed to throw snow balls

When school is closed:
1) The kids are outside playing in the roads throwing snow balls at each other.
2) The kids are sliding down hilly roads and hills on home made make shift, none conforming to British Standard sleighs.
3) They refuse to put gloves and wellies on as it is uncool.

Surely they are safer in school??? Unless the schools close for another reason, they don't want to admit too??

TRUE, BUT DON'T BLAME THE SCHOOLS. BLAME THOSE PARENTS WHO, THE MINUTE THEIR WEE HERBERT OR JEMIMA CAN'T GET HOME OR SUFFERS A MISHAP, EITHER SUE OR BLAME THE SCHOOL/LOCAL AUTHORITY AND KICK UP STINK! AS IN MOST THINGS IN LIFE, THE SMALL MINORITY DICTATE WHAT THE REST OF US HAVE TO ADHERE TO! SCHOOLS ARE BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE, NOT HELPED BY THIS LUDICROUS HEALTH & SAFETY GARBAGE THAT'S FOISTED OFF ONTO ALL OF US AND SEEMINGLY ABSOLVES EVERYONE OF THE NECESSITY OF ANY COMMON SENSE OR RESPONSIBILITY!
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

AS an ex-head who never closed a school (sometimes the LEA did) my biggest fear was the children's safety both in and out of school.

I could never guarantee enough members of staff turning up on time or at all,some were directed to their nearest school.

Often parents sent their children in very inappropriate clothes.

By far the biggest single complaint was making the parents walk to drop off/ pick up their children in such terrible conditions !!!!!
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
Roni
Minor Fan

Post by Roni »

From a website about Russia -
When it is below -45C (-49F) schoolchildren from first to fifth grade do not go to school. When it is colder than -47C (-52.6F) eighth graders are also permitted to stay at home. When it becomes as cold as -50C (-58F) all children miss school classes.
On last night's news, in NZ, about the closure of Heathrow, they had a comment from a stranded Norwegian passenger; "They close the airport? for this? (points at snow)

xlollx
Minor Friendly

Post by xlollx »

I got Myrtle started today (without help from battery charger).

I love the idea of using a bonnet for a snow sledge. Genius idea. I shall be on the look out for a spare bonnet.

I'm a teacher and am secretly hoping for a snow day tomorrow (just to catch up on assessments etc). It is no fun teaching 30 reception children (4 and 5 year olds) on a snowy day.
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

Reception teachers should be the highest paid in any school,I take my hat off to you.I spent three months on a placement once hated it .They touch you :o .......................................................................etc
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

xlollx wrote:
I'm a teacher and am secretly hoping for a snow day tomorrow (just to catch up on assessments etc). It is no fun teaching 30 reception children (4 and 5 year olds) on a snowy day.
Seriously though, it's no fun being told you won't get paid if you stay at home with the kids and don't book it as holiday. My wife and I simply do not have enough holiday to cover school holidays under normal conditions. Let alone adding on for teacher training and snow days. :(
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

Audrey1955
Minor Friendly

Post by Audrey1955 »

Out of interest, how many are currently using their moggies at the moment?

Are they nicely tucked up for the winter, or still bearing the cold?
ben_sH
Minor Friendly

Post by ben_sH »

Last edited by ben_sH on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

TRUE, BUT DON'T BLAME THE SCHOOLS. BLAME THOSE PARENTS WHO, THE MINUTE THEIR WEE HERBERT OR JEMIMA CAN'T GET HOME OR SUFFERS A MISHAP, EITHER SUE OR BLAME THE SCHOOL/LOCAL AUTHORITY AND KICK UP STINK! AS IN MOST THINGS IN LIFE, THE SMALL MINORITY DICTATE WHAT THE REST OF US HAVE TO ADHERE TO! SCHOOLS ARE BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE, NOT HELPED BY THIS LUDICROUS HEALTH & SAFETY GARBAGE THAT'S FOISTED OFF ONTO ALL OF US AND SEEMINGLY ABSOLVES EVERYONE OF THE NECESSITY OF ANY COMMON SENSE OR RESPONSIBILITY!
Well said.
Out of interest, how many are currently using their moggies at the moment?

Driving mine, hate this weather but I need to get to work.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

I drive mine daily, though she is kept in a garage. In fact, yesterday I had to tow a Honda Civic out of a snow mound after an idiot crashed into it and give my boss a lift to his BMW Z4 after work :roll:
Last edited by chesney on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Schools close because of Offstead figures.
If they open on a few snowy days, and get 75% attendance because some parents (kid taxi's) can't get out in the snow then the school's entire attendance figures for the year are damaged, dropping some points for the overall Offstead rating etc..

The news was running stories (same tape as last year?) about businesses loosing 1.5 billion due to missing employees etc.. in winter weather.
As soon as someone successfully sues a school for their child being injured because the school was closed and nobody was available to look after them, then I expect the situation will change. Without that I expect we will have no end to the annual winter school closures and the knock on effects to parents.
Last year our kid's school (in oxfordshire) was closed despite the lack of any snow there... because some of the teachers from other counties had to stay at home to look after their own children.

Here at work, out in the middle of nowhere, almost everyone without kids to look after made it in despite 8 inches of snow over Friday-Sunday. The biggest problem we have is bad parking (lack of spaces) because people can't see the white lines.

Personally I am amazed about how well the gritters and ploughs cope with a rapid change in weather. They deserve medals!
Many modern cars (and drivers) are poor on slippy roads, so without the gritters & ploughs the rest of the country (not just schools) would really grind to a halt.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
youngcamper
Minor Fan

Post by youngcamper »

Audrey1955 wrote:Out of interest, how many are currently using their moggies at the moment?

using my 4 door every day of the week, oh how I wish the heater was better...
Will
ImageImageImage
________1967-Lily________________________1963-Phoebe_______________________1965-Dobby_________
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

Audrey1955 wrote:Out of interest, how many are currently using their moggies at the moment?

Sat out in the drive in all weathers and being used daily! That's what they were built (and rebuilt!) for after all! :lol: :wink:

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

outside and used daily
mattyb
Minor Fan

Post by mattyb »

[frame]Image[/frame]

my sons moggy in Somerset - the rear screen leaks like a sieve, so once defrosted....... !!
mattyb
Minor Fan

Post by mattyb »

and another[frame]Image[/frame]
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

using my 4 door every day of the week, oh how I wish the heater was better...
I find my heaters not too bad once it gets warmed up.
Mind you to help it along in releasing the warmth into the car, I've got rid of the awful, poorly designed (and by the time I bought her knackered) hardboard boxing that Morris had concealed it within, to reveal the inner beauty of my round 'Smiths' heater (1963 black type, as opposed to the earlier already exposed gold painted ones - still I suppose they thought concealing it was progress.................. :roll: ).
Also to aid screen demisting I removed the vents from under their dash-top slits and removed / restructured the vanes within them, so that now the heat going up through them is actually directed at the windscreen, rather than strangled before it gets out!
It's still not great but there's a noticeable improvement from when I bought her. :D
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)