Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Ondergard
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

RIP Betsy Blue

Post by Ondergard »

Since I bought my Morris in 2009, I have been buying bits and pieces - Riley and Wolseley 9" brakes, an engine, a leather interior from a Rover 200, tyres, that sort of thing - and saving money at the same time to pay for the restoration. During that time I have corresponded with some lovely, helpful people, on this group and off it.

I've also been ripped off by an unscrupulous so-called restorer (a situation I handled badly, and should have protested about) and separately by a member of this board - who "sold" me a 3.7 differential, was not in when I made a pre-arranged journey to collect it at his home after a three hundred mile drive, and also wasn't in when a friend who lived closer tried to do the same thing, and has since failed either to send it through the post or to refund me the money despite several requests and promises.

It's been an eventful couple of years.

In November, however, we found out that we're moving in the summer from the far west of Wales to the far east of England. The house we're moving to has no possibility of covered parking for a classic car, and I can't afford to rent a lock-up, even if there were one available.

As a result, I had to make a choice - spend the money I had saved to get the Morris restored, and then be forced to sell it in the summer anyway, and in all probability barely recover the cost of the restoration, or sell it now, and keep my assets liquid until the move and then look around to see what's possible.

I decided to sell up: so as from yesterday I am Morrisless, and Betsy Blue (no doubt re-named) is now resident in Merthyr Tydfil. I hope this situation is relatively temporary, and that when I have been in Essex for a year I might be able to re-group and re-enter the classic car owner world.

Until then, I shall allow my membership of the Club to lapse this May - I can't be a member of an owners' club if I don't own one - and I probably won't visit this board so often.

So it's goodbye for now.

Thanks to all those who've given me advice, and a plague on the house of him who still owes me £120. Good luck to you all with your projects and restorations. Hopefully, I'll be like Arnie and be able to say "I'll be back" one day.

Anyone want to buy a Morris Marina 1275 engine and gear box, or a Rover 200 grey leather interior, complete with CD changer?
Pembrokeshire - God's Own County!
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Re: RIP Betsy Blue

Post by plastic_orange »

Sorry to hear of your saga. I'd certainly name and shame anyone that ripped me off - sad that it's a member here. Hopefully he's reading this and will do the decent thing.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Sorry you have to sell your car, good luck in your new home.

Can I suggest you place an advert in the For Sale for the engine and the seats. These are always wanted. :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Thats a shame :( but club rules :roll: :roll: wont let you name and shame
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

please pm me details of the grey leather interior :D
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
alexandermclaren
Minor Addict

Post by alexandermclaren »

PM his name to the mods they can do something even get your money back at least :o :roll:

santadawes
Minor Addict

Post by santadawes »

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Good luck with your new home and maybe sometime we will see you back.
Raymond.

brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

No rules that say you can't be a member of the forum if you are not a member of the club! stay with us - it'll keep you posted on any bargains that may be lurking in Norfolk/Suffolk :wink:

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Sorry to hear you have been treated this way, please pm me the board member who stiched you up. I need to steer clear of these types.

charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

sorry to hear you had to sell your moggy and after such bad experiences.. could pm the users name to me as well if you would not mind
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Ondergard - It's not clear from your post whether the transaction took place as the result of an advert on this messageboard but if it did we have a process in place here in relation to problems between buyers & sellers: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41567

On the rare occasions when there have been problems we have usually managed to resolve matters so please forward details to one of the mods if you wish us to look into it.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Ondergard
Minor Fan

Post by Ondergard »

I already have.
Richard H
Minor Friendly

Post by Richard H »

Whereabouts in Essex are you moving to?
Ondergard
Minor Fan

Post by Ondergard »

Colchester.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Ondergard
You are right - Pembrokeshire is Gods own country.
I see you are moving from Rosemarket. I have relatives living there. I originally come from Houghton Pembs.
Living currently in Hampshire but my heart is in Pembrokeshire and visit there as much as possible.
Sorry to hear that you are giving up on the Morris for the moment.
There will be another along soon with any luck.
Take care
Phil
Last edited by philthehill on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

brucek wrote:No rules that say you can't be a member of the forum if you are not a member of the club! stay with us - it'll keep you posted on any bargains that may be lurking in Norfolk/Suffolk :wink:
and Essex too :lol:

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Hi Ondergard - sorry/sad tale indeed. Please PM me the details of both the 'restorer' and the 'rogue seller'. It's ridiculo0us that these people are protected by the board rules - allowing them to get off so easily and repeat the fraud on other unsuspecting Minor owners. At least in Colchester I believe there is an excellent car restoration night class that you can attend and gain some skills ! And surely you will soon find a place a to keep a Minor....
And strangely enough, when I was buying my 3.7 final drive I was getting the run-around from the seller. Phone would be answered ' I'll just get him for you' - and left lying - I could hear them laughing away and asking 'is he still there' ??? Etc. And he had my money !! Trip to my local Police Station - Inspector made a call to the number.....and hey presto the final drive arrived two days later... Did cost me a Tenner donation to the 'Police Ball'.. but well worth it.
ImageImage
seriesmm_1
Minor Fan

Post by seriesmm_1 »

Where abouts in Pembs did you live

Ondergard
Minor Fan

Post by Ondergard »

I still live in Pembrokeshire for the moment (until August)!

I live in a village called Rosemarket.... And looking at your signature pic, you live somewhere near Carew, and bought your car at the garage with the huge boat in the yard near Whitehill.

I know, because I was looking at that car for about a month, and flagged up that car when it was for sale!
welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

seriesmm_1 wrote:Where abouts in Pembs did you live
Strange sheep you have there in the west of Gods country, you can take the boy out of Wales but they will never take the Wales out of the boy!