Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stephenpolhill
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: WHEELER DEALERS

Post by stephenpolhill »

It's like Top Gear. People criticise it for being a crap car show...it's not, it's an entertainment show now, not like the old version.
Wheeler Dealers is fantastic to WATCH, and although they may do the whole job, they skim over what are actually larger jobs for the most of us and they miss smaller bits out.
As others have said, they do give useful tips which I'm sure a lot 'in the know' will know about but it's not exactly known until its on a tv programme. I liked this episode and although I could never do even half the work myself, it made me appreciate that with knowledge, screwdrivers and some spanners..you can have more fun than plugging in a diagnostic machine and it telling you the problem ;)

Just J-j-j-jiggle it a bit.
'Fiona' - a 1965 original 'C' 2dr in Almond Green
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... bc64c7805b
bjbrownie
Minor Fan

Post by bjbrownie »

It was a good episode, but very surprised that Ed didn't get it up on the lift and point out how bad the underbody can rust-he didn't even check the front suspension, just seemed to take it for granted all was ok underneath. All in all entertaining viewing, but as people have said, not the comprehensive guide to restoring a Moggy traveller. 8)
Martha the Moggy Minor-the year long winter project!
neil4030
Minor Friendly

Post by neil4030 »

I did wonder about the underside of the car, bearing in mind the state of the wood and bodywork. They usually show a lot of the prep work for painting and more mechanical stuff but as the wood took so long in the program, I guess lots had to be edited out. Surely Edd and his back office team wouldn't have left all the chassis rot that must have been present. Their total spend minus the initial purchase was £4050 so with real world labour costs, it was an 8 to 10k restoration. I thought the wood kit was a bit pricey at 1200! If that was a genuine 8k Traveller, mine must be around the 10 mark!! Bit tempted actually, where's that digital camera?? Yes I know I would miss it but I have seen a particularly nice Mercedes E class for sale locally............... :)
neil4030
Minor Friendly

Post by neil4030 »

Look how nice it is![frame]Image[/frame]
theminorsite
Minor Fan

Post by theminorsite »

It does look very very nice indeed. I'd love to see under the bonnet though - they didn't show that afterwards and Edd just said something like "clear all this gubbins up" prior to the paintshop. He also said that he'd replaced the rear wings, but didn't mention anything about the fronts, or the rot we saw in the initial purchase bit down the front pillar. They must have put a huge amount of hours into it that they didn't mention on the show, presuming that the underpinnings are as good as the top.
Mike
http://www.TheMinorSite.co.uk
Modified Best Engine Bay - Kelmarsh National Rally 2012
1st Place Modified - Kelmarsh National Rally 2012 woohoo!
littleblackflash
Minor Fan

Post by littleblackflash »

It was intresting to see the program after speaking with the crew when they filmed my car for the opening sequence. It was also great to see my car on screen.

They were saying that their car was so rotten underneath that they had to send it off to have the rot replaced because it was too much work for Ed and his 2 helpers (who double up as production helpers). I've no doubt it made a nice car in the end, and the program was enjoyable to watch, but I don't think the costs were quite right.

Did anyone else notice the new chrome all over and new badges etc.

Their main aim was to make each program with something different. It gets a little boring watching ed change a ball joint and sanding a car for paint. This is why the chose a Trav so they could show how much work goes into changing the wood, so this was the main focus of the program.

+ 1 more trav saved.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

i did notice all the new shiny stuff ,at the end of the day its a tv programe that lasts 45 mins or so ,just how much can you show in a programe of that length .it did look nice though . it does not give you a propper costing if you baught a fully restored one.there were some good tips and its puts the moggy on the tv and makes the younger generation aware of thease cars and how good they are . :D
[sig]5641[/sig]
Morris Mike
Minor Fan

Post by Morris Mike »

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

I just cannot believe that Mr Brewer who is an expert wheeler dealer purchased a car for £2450.00 that required so much work.
I have found cars like that for £1500.00 easily.
And for the previous owner to say "I have spent £5,000 on this car) where.???.

He should have come with me a few weeks ago when I picked up this Morris Minor Traveller for £2100.00.
A very genuine well looked after car with low miles.
Taxed and Mot`d.
Excellent original timber.
Very solid underside.
Very nice sounding engine and gearbox.
And brakes that work.

Requiring about 2 hours fabricating and welding work (me being fussy)
Just one piece of timber to replace (timber foot).(again being fussy)
Some new internal side panels.
A new headlining.(very slight tears)

My car is not far off their project when it comes to quality.
So if I sell this for say £7,000 that is a heck more profit than they generated,which at the end of the day is what the programme is all about...the clue is in the title.
They would never make a living out of their work.

And before people say "they need to show the worst side of the cars quality," there are other programmes that deal in full blown restorations of cars that need nut and bolt work carried out.And they always tell you they overspend compared to what the car is really worth.

Mind you,has not Mr Brewer just opened up a garage selling cars.? Bet he buys in stock already looking good and requiring no work..

Morris Mike.
Morris Minor Traveller 1961 Modified.
Austin 6cwt Van 1972. Teal Blue
Morris Minor Traveller 1961 Original
Austin A30 Van 1956.
Austin A35 Van 1960
What else is lurking behind those open doors.?.
theminorsite
Minor Fan

Post by theminorsite »

I think most agreed when you posted pics of it before that you got a pretty uncommon bargain there, and that its not really representative of what a couple of grand buys you. It really was a superb buy judging from your description and I genuinely take my hat off to you, but carrying on with hat metaphors I'll eat the damn thing if you can find another similar one at that sort of price!
P.S. Those who know me 'off'line' will know I wear a pretty big hat too - shall I pack a knife and fork for the next rally? :D :D
Mike
http://www.TheMinorSite.co.uk
Modified Best Engine Bay - Kelmarsh National Rally 2012
1st Place Modified - Kelmarsh National Rally 2012 woohoo!
Just the one

Post by Just the one »

Hi guys,

This is my first and probably only posting on this site for reasons that will become clear.
I am the guy who did in fact buy the car on behalf of my mother as a present for my Father and I have found your thread very interesting to read.
Can I start by saying that this a TV program aimed at the masses and not the purists out there. The program aims to highlight the fundamentals of such a car and as such a great deal of the program centered around the wooden frame and the importance of it's integrity.
Whilst at the site for filming (the day after I phoned to enquire about the car, it all happened pretty quickly) I learnt a great deal about a program I have watched a few times in the past and how, on such a frantic schedule, they make it all work. Yes work is subcontracted out as time is so precious and Ed would have to be an octopus to manage all that work alone (He's massive by the way) He does do plenty of the work himself and I was told by one of the other mechanics of all nighters by the 2 of them just to get things finished off for filming.
I will not discuss budget or additional works, but will point out, as has already been mentioned on this forum, that Ed himself said that hundreds of hours had been spent on the car also the eBay advert stated that they had spent 3 months refurbishing it. People draw you own conclusions.. this is a TV program that is not intended to generate money on the sale of the cars, it is, in it's purest form, for entertainment and may in the process help to generate a little more enthusiasm and knowledge across a large audience for such vehicles.

Yes the MMOC will have a new member in my Dad and yes another woody has been saved. Oh and it has nearly 400k on the clock, so unlike the low mileage, never sees the light of day cars people brag about owning but seldom get out the garage, we have bought a car that has done, for it's entire life and will continue to do with my Dad, what it was built to do, and that's something I am very proud to have purchased on his/my Mum's behalf.
Moggies have always made me smile. This one makes my beam knowing it will last for many years to come and be enjoyed every day.

Enjoy your cars I know my Dad will, we got a bargain.....
wickermonkey
Minor Friendly

Post by wickermonkey »

talking of mr brewer and his car buying expertise! did you see the one with the beetle, ended up being that bad that they scrapped most of the body and turned it into a baja bug. Saying that though it wouldnt be a very good program if they bought something that just needed a lick of paint and a bit of sprucing up now would it. Dont forget this is a tv program and not a lesson /howto in classic car restoration
Jonah681
Minor Fan

Post by Jonah681 »

Just watched the show on catch-up. Just The one (new owner) is spot on. He's not a purist & wants a car that is fun but can be used every day. When he said it was a present for his father, I did try dropping heavy hints to my wife & kids, but to no avail.

The show is basically a restoration snapshot. The show only has 45 mins, so naturally they will concentrate on the more unique aspects of each car - in this case the wood replacement. They will be working on various cars at any one time & then edit it to look as if they are scourcing,repairing and selling each one separately. Showing a full restoration would have taken up the whole series.

Just look at our magazine & the article on the pick-up rebuild. The 'Wheeler Dealers' lent their name to that but a legion of people were involved. It's the same with the show, we jut don't see them as Ed China and Mike Brewer are the headline act. For example, at the start of each show, Mr Brewer spends 2 minutes searching for a car & finds one every time! I can't even scroll through the e-bay listings in that time. Do you think the show has a researcher or two, maybe?

I wish Just The One's father the best of luck & hope he enjoys the car. I for one am rather jealous!
PhilR
Minor Fan

Post by PhilR »

Just caught up on this thread and I must admit to be being pleasantly surprised at the number of positive comments. I dont think there was any attempt to hide the fact that more work was required on the car than was actually shown in the programme and it did make a nice change to see Ed doing something different to the usual mechanical and bodywork. Although I own a Traveller, I have never seen one actually being stripped of its woodwork so I found this particularly interesting.
I thought the programme promoted the Moggie in a very favourable way and if that encourages more people to buy one and join the club, then thats fine by me! My two sons enjoyed the programme and have watched it twice now! They can't believe that ours was once in the same state!
I thought the new owners post was spot on wish them well with their new car. I am sure they will thoroughly enjoy it.
Last edited by PhilR on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morris Mike
Minor Fan

Post by Morris Mike »

[frame]Image[/frame]

I think you ought to start preparing some seasoning and a little side salad for that hat of yours.

OK it is not a Morris Minor.

Rover P5 MK11 1966. Mileage 74.000.
Advertised as not running very well and no reverse gear,spotted on Ebay last Friday afternoon..

Phoned the owner straight away and got a story where the car had to go to a good home as space needed and they could not afford the repairs which a mechanic quoted as a few thousand pounds.
I purchased the car over the phone and collected it the next morning at 8.00am,with cash in hand and a trailer.

I put the car in my workshop Saturday afternoon and got on with fixing it.
A new set of spark plugs and a few ignition leads had the straight six engine purring.
Adjusting the brake bands in the auto box had reverse gear working.

Cost of car.....£650.00

I just had to buy it at that price.
Right place ,right time,act very fast (do not dither) and most important..cash in hand.

Morris Mike
Morris Minor Traveller 1961 Modified.
Austin 6cwt Van 1972. Teal Blue
Morris Minor Traveller 1961 Original
Austin A30 Van 1956.
Austin A35 Van 1960
What else is lurking behind those open doors.?.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Can anyone explain where I can see this program - on my laptop?
ImageImage
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

Roy it's on the discovery channel on sky ,try sky on demand ,if not now very soon ? good luck :D
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - I know it's on sky/discovery - but I'm bu99ered if I can get it to play up on my laptop......... :roll: 'On demand' doesn't seem to be for laptop....
ImageImage
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

Roy do you have sky go? on your laptop or smart phone?
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

also go in to tv guide on your sky buttons

on demand is the windmill symbol on the top menu
Cheers Alex

[/color]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Does sky go work on laptop? Smart phone.....aye right!
ImageImage