Even older cars can be greener..........

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
morrisminorbzh
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Even older cars can be greener..........

Post by morrisminorbzh »

Saw this on the Guardian website :

http://www.theguardian.com/andrex-green ... P=mic_2851

Confirms what I've always thought............our classic cars ARE better for the planet.
Happy to see that a photo of a Morris Minor was chosen.
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Re: Even older cars can be greener..........

Post by chickenjohn »

All this global warming stuff from CO2 is a load of nonsense anyway!

CO2 is actually good for the planet because it is plant food. CO2 makes the world a greener place!
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
Matt Tomkins
Minor Addict
Location: Aston Clinton, Aylesbury, Bucks or Oxford during term time

Post by Matt Tomkins »

chickenjohn wrote:All this global warming stuff from CO2 is a load of nonsense anyway!

CO2 is actually good for the planet because it is plant food. CO2 makes the world a greener place!
-- errrrmm, yeah - not quite chickenjohn! :P

As an environmental science student, i am often criticised by my contempories for the cars i drive, and this does go well towards the argumnets i've had for a long time!

I am also planning on using the development of fuels in the uk as the basis for a project this year, focussing on not only the short term emissions, but also the detrimental effect of ethanol and other additives in the fuel on the older cars and the remanufacture environmental costs of a new car on a longer term perspective.

I will share it on this site once complete if it would be of interest to anyone...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46862234@N ... 671969048/
http://www.facebook.com/matttomkins

Misty, Morris Minor 2-door, 1970,
fully restored with the help of various of the young members to whom i am forever grateful. http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=43571
Also Mavis, 1960 Factory Tourer, and a '69 Traveller project: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=53487

Join the young owners at: https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/gr ... [sig]11392[/sig]
Boris64
Minor Fan

Post by Boris64 »

Old cars are inherently greener!

The fundamental principle of sustainability on a domestic scale is - use and maintain what you have for as long as possible and then recycle the parts.

The embodied energy in manufacturing 'more efficient' items is much greater than the environmental saving of using them.

The green solution is second hand products, the damage is already done so exploit them for as long as possible - old's kool

Pete
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

The great global warming con...

it's just another excuse to put up taxes.

Who was responsible for the Ice Age and melting it all? :-?
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

Not me, can't blame me, nobody saw me do it!!! :D :D :D
Talk slow, think fast!
Coalmossian
Minor Fan

Post by Coalmossian »

chickenjohn wrote:All this global warming stuff from CO2 is a load of nonsense anyway!

How wonderful to read such a well thought out and logical viewpoint on this matter!(NOT).
Glaciers melting, Arctic and Antarctic ice sheets retreating. The list of effects leading us toward the unkown seems to increase weekly!
Yet people who know little dismiss it as unimportant and nothing to do with them/us!
We KNOW that CO2 is one of the fundamental requirements for plants to photosynthesise......that's not in question. Trouble is we keep chopping down the trees that use the CO2 up while producing more and more of the stuff as we hanker after our comforts and get lazier and lazier.
How do you get through to some folk!!???
drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

You must search google, youtube or tv archive channels for a programme I watched on channel 5 about 5 years ago. It's called "THE GREAT GLOBAL WARMING SCANDALL" and it convinced me that it is.

co2 is listed on the (elementry?) table it's part of our natural environment. the biggest producer of co2 in the world by far is volcanoes, followed closley by decomposing vegitation of the trees etc in autum time. the man produced co2 is a piddle in the ocean!
It's very easy to get a reaserch grant if it involves in someway global warming, that's why there are so much reaserch that's biased that way.

When I was a kid all the news was about a new ice age coming. Frieghtened the crap out of me then, but previously up to to this from around world war 2 every house had at least 1 coal fire, every city had a huge iron foundry and furnaces, all locomotives and a lot of large static engines that were coal fired steam. Maggie Thatcher instigated this LIE to kill the miners off and try to stop us being held to ransome by the middle east oil er people.
It's all bollox!

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

People need to understand that the Earth, as a natural entity, undergoes changes. It cannot remain constant all the time. We just happen to be coming to the end of a relatively stable climatic period, that's all. It's like the changing of the seasons but on a much bigger scale.

Undoubtedly in 10,000 years' time things will be so much different anyway, if we haven't blown ourselves to smithereens. The balance of power is shifting from the West to the East.

For the record, I abhor waste, chopping down rainforests, commercial greed etc etc etc.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Shame about the ice cap melting though! Still lets bury our heads. Sod the next generation :roll:

drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

2/3 of ice on water is underneath IE only 1/3 visible. water expands when it's frozen so when it thaws it's volume reduces so how does that increase sea level IE add more water to sea?

put some ice cubes in a glass fill the glass to the brim with water, leave it till the ice melts, the water level will fall!
Also the video we are shown of the ice falling into the sea is taken in the summer time.

I do believe in protecting the planet for future generations, but all this global warming is one sided bollox!

The average temp trend of the earth has been decreasing slowly over the last 10 years, I'm waiting for all these bollox talkers to claim it's due to all the measures being implemented.

drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

Just tried to find it this is part of it if not it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Mx0_8YEtg

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

All those scientists from all those countries spending all that time---they only had to read some of the posts on the morris minor forum. What greater authority could there be. :D

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

"The Great Global Warming Scandal" was pretty convincingly debunked as low grade journalism at the time. Try a slightly more authoritative representation of the view of the majority of the scientific community, hot off the press yesterday.

"Today, Friday 27 September, the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has published the first of three volumes of the fifth Assessment Report - the most comprehensive assessment of the science of climate change ever undertaken.

The Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change Edward Davey conveyed the urgency of addressing the report’s latest findings and said:

The message of this report is clear - the Earth’s climate has warmed over the last century and man-made greenhouse gases have caused much of that global warming. The gases emitted now are accumulating in the atmosphere and so the solutions must be set in motion today. The risks and costs of doing nothing today are so great, only a deeply irresponsible government would be so negligent.

Without urgent action to cut greenhouse gas emissions this warming will continue, with potentially dangerous impacts upon our societies and economy. This strengthens the case for international leaders to work for an ambitious, legally binding global agreement in 2015 to cut carbon emissions."
Roni
Minor Fan

Post by Roni »

Going back to the original title, it would be interesting to know the cost, to the planet, difference of manufacturing a new car vs restoring an older one.

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

The cost to the planet is negligible as all that is required is maybe a bit of welding and some paint.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

You've been dead lucky with your restorations then! :D

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Apart from brake parts and paint, I buy most of my stuff old stock. The rest I consider to be service items which you would buy for any car, i.e. oil & filter, tyres and so on.
Boris64
Minor Fan

Post by Boris64 »

Roni,

Its the difference between the environmental damage of quarrying a mountain of bauxite, the energy consumed in transporting the mountain from Africa to South America for processing into aluminium and then pressing the little that results into new body panels, compared with welding in an off cut of steel.

Pete
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Matt Tomkins wrote:

-- errrrmm, yeah - not quite chickenjohn! :P

As an environmental science student, i am often criticised by my contempories for the cars i drive, and this does go well towards the argumnets i've had for a long time!

I am also planning on using the development of fuels in the uk as the basis for a project this year, focussing on not only the short term emissions, but also the detrimental effect of ethanol and other additives in the fuel on the older cars and the remanufacture environmental costs of a new car on a longer term perspective.

I will share it on this site once complete if it would be of interest to anyone...
Actually Matt there is no evidence at all that CO2 causes global warming. The gentle temperature rise seen since 1850 is entirely explainable by natural factors such as oceanic changes (PDO, la nina el nino etc). And the 16 year halt in temperatures while CO2 continues to climb is strong evidence against the theory.

I myself care about the environment but the last thing we need is to despoil our beautiful land with wind turbines that generate very little electricity unreliably and expensive solar panels. Where we should he growing crops and creating natural areas of forestry.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage