Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
C.J.
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Classic car magnetism?

Post by C.J. »

Why oh why oh why do following cars HAVE to drive right on your bumper when you are driving a classsic? :-?
Absolutely sick of it. :x

Actually caused a bit of verbal abuse hurling between me and two other drivers in Stoke yesterday. :evil:
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Classic car magnetism?

Post by irmscher »

Drive a bit faster then :lol: try putting your lights on as if you are braking soon stops them :evil:
C.J.
Minor Fan

Post by C.J. »

irmscher wrote:Drive a bit faster then :lol: try putting your lights on as if you are braking soon stops them :evil:
Tell you. I'm SSSSSSO tempted to stop, get out, open the boot and ask them what exactly it is that they want to see inside it. :x
C.J.
Minor Fan

Post by C.J. »

irmscher wrote:Drive a bit faster then :lol: try putting your lights on as if you are braking soon stops them :evil:
I did actually 'dab' my brakes which is not only potentially dangerous, but a bit childish too in all honesty, and is what actually sparked up the already bubbling under verbal abuse hurling.
Trouble is, when yer gander is got, it's hard to stop. :oops:
C.J.
Minor Fan

Post by C.J. »

Lol indeed!! :lol:
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

I find the opposite. Don't drive a bit faster... keep slowing down!

The whole reason they're tailgating you is that they want you to go faster. And if you do, you're just teaching them that their plan worked. Slow down, and they'll perhaps learn that if they'd kept their distance they'd have got where they were going quicker!
C.J.
Minor Fan

Post by C.J. »

chrisryder wrote:I find the opposite. Don't drive a bit faster... keep slowing down!

The whole reason they're tailgating you is that they want you to go faster. And if you do, you're just teaching them that their plan worked. Slow down, and they'll perhaps learn that if they'd kept their distance they'd have got where they were going quicker!

Not a chance. Thick isn't in it. :x
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If you are not driving at the speed limit - then it is courteous to move over at the first opportunity, and wave them past. I tend to find quite the opposite - hammering along in the Trav, and modern cars won't let me past - speeding up when the road is straight and clear and slowing when it's not...... And of course, I never exceed speed limits. well, not by much anyway...... :wink:
ImageImage
C.J.
Minor Fan

Post by C.J. »

bmcecosse wrote:If you are not driving at the speed limit - then it is courteous to move over at the first opportunity, and wave them past. I tend to find quite the opposite - hammering along in the Trav, and modern cars won't let me past - speeding up when the road is straight and clear and slowing when it's not...... And of course, I never exceed speed limits. well, not by much anyway...... :wink:

I was bang on the 50mph speed limit.
Wouldn't matter what speed you are doing in my experience, they'll still be up yer chuff. :x

Don't get this so much in my every day car, but it's virtually constant in the Mog or Fiasco. :evil:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You should perhaps check the accuracy of the speedo - compare with a GPS.
ImageImage
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

Driving by intimidation, usually practiced by children.
Defensive driving works, let em by and get right up their bumper bar at the next set of lights, p+$$"$ em right off. :D
Where angels fear to tread
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Not just classic cars, in fact it's anything that should, in their opinion, belong in a
scrapyard!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

i just let them pass cant be bothered it is annoying when they are a fag papers width behind you ,its the ones that pull out in front of you that are the most dangerus
[sig]5641[/sig]
margriff
Minor Fan

Post by margriff »

My mate used to do this in a mini! 'xsept he would drop done into a lower gear with high rev's just as I would knock the side lights...so the back end bobs down with the gear change... the car behind slams the anchors on and you tear DONT SWEAR OR YOU WILL BE BANNED away, laughing yer head off.

(This comment is not endorsed by MMOC as a whole and childish behavior is not recommended) :lol:
Sir Hugo Reginald Von Bartesby - "Burble and Squeak"
margriff
Minor Fan

Post by margriff »

margriff wrote:the car behind slams the anchors on and you tear DON'T SWEAR OR YOU WILL BE BANNED away, laughing yer head off.
Sorry :oops:
Sir Hugo Reginald Von Bartesby - "Burble and Squeak"
C.J.
Minor Fan

Post by C.J. »

I have a car with a 'secret weapon' for tailgaters, and it's absolutely ace! :lol:

Amongst the C.J. fleet hides my Skoda Fabia vRS (my future classic imo) that I keep all locked up, warm and cosy most of the time.

Anyone tailgating me gets the FULL soot treatment when I floor it. :lol:
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

There are a lot of a-holes out there who have just GOT to be in front of an old car at any cost, regardless of you doing the speed limit or over. I used to get worked up about this but I just let them go; they really are better off in front.

There was a twit who thought he could do me at the lights in his Ford Focus (I was in the Aggy). He got awfully angry when he tried to push back in lane. :lol: :roll:

Seriously though, it is annoying but there's no point even thinking about these people - just let them go.
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

JJ, couldn't agree more. If only everyone concentrated on there own driving rather than getting one over on others, the roads would be safer and traffic flow much smoother. :lol:
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
Roni
Minor Fan

Post by Roni »

Letting them past and having the opportunity to tailgate another car is an option but it is annoying when they pass you and then travel slower than you were in the first place.
I had a workmate who had a habit of intimidating drivers to let him past by driving really close to them and bragging about it. He told of a car that didn't move over for 3 miles or so. When it finally did and pulled back out behind him, that was when the police lights and siren came on.

C.J.
Minor Fan

Post by C.J. »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote:There are a lot of a-holes out there who have just GOT to be in front of an old car at any cost, regardless of you doing the speed limit or over. I used to get worked up about this but I just let them go; they really are better off in front.

There was a twit who thought he could do me at the lights in his Ford Focus (I was in the Aggy). He got awfully angry when he tried to push back in lane. :lol: :roll:

Seriously though, it is annoying but there's no point even thinking about these people - just let them go.

I do,if and when that's possible, but it's the 'before that can happen bit' that hacks me off when they're seemingly craving to get inside the boot.
Seriously, I've noticed this bad and odd behaviour is far more prevalent when driving one of the old 'uns.
Getting bits for the rear end of the Moggy isn't so hard, but have you tried getting some body panels for a Fiesta mk1 lately? :o