NEC 2013

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

NEC 2013

Post by simmitc »

It's ten days since the end of the NEC Classic Car Show. Although there were plenty of remarks about prices etc before the show, I've been waiting to see some comments about the show itself, but none have been forthcoming. Therefore I thought I'd kick off by letting anyone who didn't know, that the Morris Centenary stand organised by the MMOC won 1st prize in its class. Not only that, but our Centenary Celebration / National Rally came second in its class; and our own Ray Newell was awarded Club Personality of the Year. Our regalia stall did a lively trade, exceeding its target; and we recruited a record 41 new members. We also provided innumerable cups of tea and coffee with biscuits and sweets, and were almost non-stop talking with Members on anything vaguely related to Minors. The stand was visited, amongst others, by Sir Stirling Moss. There's already been some good publicity and reaction in the Classic Car Press, with, I'm sure, more to follow.

I can't comment on the rest of the show as I didn't get a chance to see much, but I do think that it was a damn good event for the club, and well worth celebrating. What do others think?
DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: NEC 2013

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

Except for the £10 Parking charge it was pretty decent overall, although it seemed to me to be more crammed in this year, that or there was just more people. The Morris stands were good too, although it does seem to be the same sort of cars each year or is it just me?

kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

The stands were good but:

Very crowded and not enough space to get around, (on the saturday) many of the stands seemed crammed in.
Autojumble was poor, mostly stands selling new stuff and little traditional autojumble.
Car park extortionate after already paying the thick end of 20 quid to get in.

Kevin
orb596
Minor Fan

Post by orb596 »

The lads from Dorset enjoyed the show - in fact I don't think 1 day is enough to see the show. We are hoping to go up for longer next year.
We were very surprised to receive a prize on behalf of the branch - the True Club Spirit award - for the branches efforts in organising the centenary display at Beaulieu in May.
I thought the Morris display was excellent with a good cross section of models on show. All the clubs put on a good show though, not just the Morris section.
I'll attach a few photos to start the ball rolling as no one has put any on yet.
Laurie Blewer
MMOC member since 1986
Dorset Branch Secretary for ever!!!!
orb596
Minor Fan

Post by orb596 »

lets try the photos again!!!
Laurie Blewer
MMOC member since 1986
Dorset Branch Secretary for ever!!!!
gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

I didn't get to go because it clashed with something else I was already committed to. Would love to see pictures. Orb596, try to downsize the images before uploading.
Regards, George.
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.
MrDodo
Minor Friendly

Post by MrDodo »

Here are my pictures from Friday http://sdrv.ms/IrsUEr (was much quieter than the Saturday last year and manage to see all that we wanted in each hall). Ursula also had a good run - round trip of 450 miles
gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

MrDodo wrote:Here are my pictures from Friday http://sdrv.ms/IrsUEr (was much quieter than the Saturday last year and manage to see all that we wanted in each hall). Ursula also had a good run - round trip of 450 miles
Many thanks, that is a truely great collection of photographs and, hidden in amongst the big names, I was very pleased to see a Messerschmitt KR200 (my younger brother used to have one of these).
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.