Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
singleton
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

V5 logbooks don't show full number of previous owners

Post by singleton »

I always find it interesting when you see morris minors for sale saying only 2 or 3 previous owners, the sellers are doing nothing wrong because it's what the v5 log book says but it's interesting to note the following. I sent for all the previous owner history of my car which was once owned by my grandad and then my dad, I bought it back 19 years after my dad sold it, the original written log book was sent into dvla by grandad in 1977, the paper log book had a dealer and one private owner before my grandad but when the first printed logbook was issued where it says number of previous keepers it says none since jan77, the later log book drops the "since" bit and just gives a number of previous keepers so in effect the paper log book keepers are not counted so makes it look like less owners. Officially my car had 5 keepers before me but my v5 just says 3 former keepers. So just because your log book only says a couple of previous owners your car has prob got more history than you think so send a v888 form in to dvla and see if they can give you full history. While on the subject of logbooks if you have a long term project but have not received the new style red v5c just ring dvla I did the other day and it was with me within 5 days, they should have all been issued by now apparently.
[sig]10193[/sig]
LouiseM

Re: V5 logbooks don't show full number of previous owners

Post by LouiseM »

I did the same with my car and the number of owners on the V5 did match all previous owners, including those on the paper log book, although the original dealer who sold the car from new is not listed. This is standard practice for new vehicles.

Prospective buyers shouldn't really pay too much attention to the number of former owners a vehicle has had though. What's more important is how the previous owners looked after the vehicle :D

If you are interested in finding out the history of your Minor the details are here: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=39205

You can also find out previous MOT history here: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=39206

Eric - 1971 Traveller
graham1957
Minor Fan

Post by graham1957 »

my 1955 saloon was bought new by a lady teacher and she sold it to my brother round about 1964, i have bought it from my brother so i am the third owner.The v5 says i am the second owner?
[sig]8872[/sig]
singleton
Minor Fan

Post by singleton »

Sometimes dealers did go down as 1st owner if vehicles were demos or pre reg if you like which is very common today in the motor trade, my car did have a private owner on the paper log book which is not counted on the new v5, it isn't really important when buying cars as old as moggie minors it just shows that cars could have had more of a life than you may think by the info on new v5. Just mentioned it out of interest really
[sig]10193[/sig]
DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

Its nice to know, although both of my cars had long standing original owners, Saloon had her first owner 1961-2000 and convertible had her first owner 1957-2012.

orb596
Minor Fan

Post by orb596 »

You usually find that the V5 only lists the number of owners since the records were computerised in 1977.
That's why as some of you have said you know you are the 3rd owner but the V5 says 2.
Laurie Blewer
MMOC member since 1986
Dorset Branch Secretary for ever!!!!