After nine years time for me to go.

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
leafie
MMOC Member: Yes

After nine years time for me to go.

Post by leafie »

Well sadly due to what I feel are constant pointless / negative responses to posts by a small number of people I've decided to leave the forum. The for sale section which I dont use is particularly badly affected and I believe damaging to the club image. I would not recommend anybody to use the site to advertise their car unless they want a hard time. The final straw for me was when it got to the point were a simple wanted add for a rocker cover gets an instant '''you dont want one of those'' reply and when removed and re-advertised gets a ''but you really don't want one of those'' reply. Well clearly I do want one of those, otherwise I would not have asked twice. :roll:

On a more serious note as a sufferer of dyslexia I have found some of the comments regarding the quality of the writing in peoples posts quite offensive and I feel has no place in a forum which is simply for people with a common interest in the Morris Minor.

On a positive note, thanks to all who have helped me out over the last nine and a bit years. :D
samuria
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: After nine years time for me to go.

Post by samuria »

don't let the response from a few get to you :wink:
but the choice is yours.
best of luck in what ever you do :D
Sparticus
Minor Fan

Post by Sparticus »

This is the problem with the 'anonymous mask' the internet provides. I completely agree with you that, granted a very select few, take it upon themselves to upset/agitate other members! However i don't think leaving is the answer, it is up to the administration to do something about it. :)
Grant, 23, Morris Minor traveller - Saloon. Merlin traveller 90% finished!
DSN Classics

busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

Hi Leafie

Don't let this force you off the forum. There are only a few on here who are 'over the top' with criticism, just ignore them. Most on here will question sellers in a reasonable way. I do agree with your criticism of those who make personal comments particularly about the effects of dyslexia, and even when they know the facts, do not back off and be sympathetic.

However, I notice you are in, or from, Manchester from your details. I too was raised in Manchester, and as I result, you tend to acquire a very hard skin, are extremly resolute and tenacious, and can at least give as good as you get in any situation. Please think again about leaving the forum, and show the true Mancunian spirit, which not least, includes a really dry sense of humour to beat all others.

Stay with it!
PaulTubby
Minor Fan

Post by PaulTubby »

Yes don't leave, im from Manchester also and want and need your support! You have always been helpfull and friendly to my posts etc. There is a lot of negative replys on this forum and we all no who they are I feel and its only a small number... you cant take to heart what they say and rise above it... I had a issue myself on here when I stated my van got the cover page on the front cover of a classic car magazine and people was sarcastic in there reply or I made a error in the heading, either way most got what I was saying and was happy for me... please stay positive and lets not back down to the small number of people who have nothing better to do then put negative remarks or comments... I no it can be upsetting.... but if you walk away from here all the NICE members and people will slowly dissolve... stay please :)
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

Paul is 100% right ,I hope you stay :D
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Same as all the other follow ups.Ignore 'em!!!!!Theyre not worth a second thought.
viewsonic1
Minor Fan

Post by viewsonic1 »

I'll tell you something, leafie. When I was running my previous everyday car and the last three all the same make, ( which I will not name as it wouldn't be fair to their club), I got little help in my sixteen years as a member. I have only been in the MMOC since July 2013 and I have had more help, advice and encouragement in the few months of membership than the sixteen years of the old club.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I hope you stay too - my comment re the cover was intended as useful advice, and for no other purpose. To run an A series engine without adequate crankcase breathing will lead to oil leaks and/or slipping clutch. I did wonder if my mind was wandering when i saw the post again - when I was sure I had commented before. Could you explain to us why you don't want a breather pipe ? Oh and I do think I have some covers like that - removed from Minis in the past to fit breather pipe covers. You can have one for the cost of the postage if you still are determined to go that route.
ImageImage
Sparticus
Minor Fan

Post by Sparticus »

I believe it is the way in which certain members post their replies, that is causing the issues across the site!
Grant, 23, Morris Minor traveller - Saloon. Merlin traveller 90% finished!
DSN Classics

Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

I concur with the sentiments in the past posts but do sympathise and empathise with you as many of the reasons that you mentioned are the reasons why I rarely come on this site myself nowadays .Do what I do and come on just for the information as and when required :-)
drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

leafie,
If you leave the idiots have won. Don't let the bar stewards grind u down. Anything I want to sell or aquire I use ebay, far less sarcastic coments, although sometimes it is the way somethings written sounds a bit more sharp, if that's the right word for it.

I'm from Wigan like you, almost. I find it much easier to communicate by speech than text, you can't beat looking at someone who's talking to you! I expect in a face to face discussion no one would ever critisise your dialect or where you paused in a speech, so why should they do it on here. It's their short coming NOT YOURS!!

Oh and you can call in our garage for a brew anytime we are near Haydock Park, with or without your Moggie

bigjim
Minor Friendly

Post by bigjim »

i totally agree with the above if you leave they have won , some only seem interested in putting other people down rather than being helpful , we all have our shortcomings thats no reason not to try and help someone.
PaulTubby
Minor Fan

Post by PaulTubby »

Let's hope he comes back on to see the support we are giving him and that we want him to stay ......
leafie

Post by leafie »

PaulTubby wrote:Let's hope he comes back on to see the support we are giving him and that we want him to stay ......
Thanks Paul and all of you for your kind words.The support has been nothing short of amazing, trust me I am not upset just fed-up with some of the replies people receive from a small number of very active people when they post cars for sale, try to tell a good news story or even place a wanted add.

As I think is the case for most people with dyslexia I started to develop my thick skin early in life when, after the first week of secondary school the English teacher stood me up at the front of the class, recited my homework exactly as written and then asked me if I was thick. It didn’t put me off teachers, after all I’ve been married to one for the last 32 years, however I know things have changed in schools but it would seem at times not on here. I have never before felt the need to mention dyslexia and have not personally had any problems but have seen plenty of examples where others have. As an adopted Mancunian, I moved here at 2 weeks old (I was a very independent child) I will believe me give as good as I get, but as I said I’m fed-up with seeing people taken to task over things which are in the great scheme of things irrelevant.

The support shown to me on here and in the pm's I've received I think does show I am not on my own in feeling this, hopefully for a little while anyway people may just take a moment to think before they comment.

Rant over I need to get off this horse it’s to high up for me. :D
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I'm probably one of those people you speak of, however I make no apology for defending folk who make the effort to write properly, after all, what is the point in being taught to do so if it doesn't matter. In one of my posts I acknowledged people like yourself have their own difficulties but I suggest this doesn't apply to all people writing poor posts, when it comes to the English language.
I get stumped on some words, that's why I've got a dictionary. I actually had to checked a word in this post, it takes more time but I personally like to take a bit of pride and yes even respect for the reader. One poster hinted that amongst others I'm 'stuck up' for my views, well for what it's worth. I'm as common as the next man, just prepared to make the effort! :D Sorry to hear you're leaving us, just wanted to clarify my position before you went.

dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

les wrote:I'm probably one of those people you speak of, however I make no apology for defending folk who make the effort to write properly, after all, what is the point in being taught to do so if it doesn't matter. In one of my posts I acknowledged people like yourself have their own difficulties but I suggest this doesn't apply to all people writing poor posts, when it comes to the English language.
I get stumped on some words, that's why I've got a dictionary. I actually had to checked a word in this post, it takes more time but I personally like to take a bit of pride and yes even respect for the reader. One poster hinted that amongst others I'm 'stuck up' for my views, well for what it's worth. I'm as common as the next man, just prepared to make the effort! :D Sorry to hear you're leaving us, just wanted to clarify my position before you went.
Hmm missing question mark and a verb in the wrong tense above.- A bit more effort please Les, I'm feelin all disrespektid :)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

:D I'll learn by that! Thank you. :wink:

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

From a School report;

"Les has done well on most subject during this term, however, he
tends to lose concentration during English classes"
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Should that be "in most subjects"?