Post by mach2 »

See full story here:

http://www.fbhvc.co.uk/about-us/news/_a ... s-testing/

Note that the Historic exemption applies to:

•it was manufactured or registered for the first time at least 30 years ago
•its specific type, as defined in national or EU law, is no longer in
production
•it is historically preserved and maintained in its original state and has
not sustained substantial changes in the technical characteristics of its mainomponents. “

The third line is a concern. While it is up to individual member states to impliment all of this, the guidelines exclude Historic vehicles that are modified from standard, but currently compliant within the DVLA 8 point scheme.

The obvious route (but note I have only scan-read the article) is for the UK Historic movement to embrace the 8-point scheme and push for Historics falling outside the EU definition scope, but within the UK 8 point scope to have an MoT category.

now some of you may be reading this and thinking that it doesnt affect them but it does. Alot of people have disc brakes and 1275 engines in theyre car so it does affect you.

if in doubt give it a clout!
twincamman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: EU reaches decision on road worthiness testing

Post by twincamman »

Technically, radial tyres would fall foul of this, as would a stainless steel exhaust. The problem is that the eurocrats (in common with most politicians) cannot comprehend that cars rarely remain completely original for their whole lives. Under the 'eight points' criteria, replacement springs cannot claim the points for 'suspension' and a recon engine cannot claim the points for 'engine'
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I thought 'political' comment wasn't allowed ??? And - I have warned many times against fitting fancy modern 'disc' brakes......no historic exemption for cars with them I fear....... :o
ImageImage
Hubert
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Too early to worry!!!

Post by Hubert »

I think it is still too early to worry, just wait and see what will happen!

First of all, what the EU has issued are guidelines what should be incorporated into national regulations. So all the governments have room for interpretation. Secondly, it is said that the guidelines regarding historic vehicles are directives, not legislation. It all depends, what the UK-government will make of it.

I would not yet worry about conversions like disc brakes, servos, stainless steel exhausts, or telescopic dampers. Over here each car has to be tested and certified if it is within the rules of historic cars, in case the owner wants to benefit from the historic car regulations (lower road tax, access to cheaper insurance, right to drive into environmental zones etc.). And to receive the certificate, period converions (e.g. 1275 cc engine, brake servo) or conversions which add to security (e.g. disc brakes, telescopic dampers, anti-roll-bar) are accepted.

I have also often complained about the eurocrats and the money they cost us all (Germany is the largest contributor), but in the end many of their issues did not at all create the impacts which everyone feared at first. So wait until the national regulations become effective.

Cheers
Hubert
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

(quote removed)

I'm not saying that we could gain some sort of reprieve for the UK, but by working with fellow enthusiasts in the rest of Europe
we may be able to work towards improving the lot of the old car enthusiasts Europe-wide.
Last edited by bpr81a on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed repost of political comments
bpr81a
Minor Legend

Post by bpr81a »

I have removed political comments and rants about moderators from this thread.

Please note that moderators have no obligation to inform anyone when they remove posts, they do so merely as a courtesy.
Moderators look after this forum in their spare time, and don't always have time to inform everyone of everything they do.

Nor do they read every post - some of the posts on this thread were reported by other users. That is why some posts get deleted or editted and others dont - they just haven't been noticed.

This is a car club forum. If you want to rant about politics, do it elsewhere

Jon Rocke