Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
viewsonic1
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Chrome Cleaner

Post by viewsonic1 »

After many years of colour coded bumpers, I now need to buy chrome cleaner for the MM bumpers. I remember Solvol Autosol as being "the one" to use in my earlier motoring days; is this still the best product, or has something new or better arrived on the market to get THAT shine?
ASL642
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Chrome Cleaner

Post by ASL642 »

I always use the above.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

Me too.
Where angels fear to tread
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Autosol is mildly abrasive. (but so it toothpaste).

What it will do is abrade off the corrosion on the chrome, and any other contaminants. I wouldn't use it too frequently!

Once you have used it, immediately polish with a good body wax, putting a layer on top of the chrome to prevent the elements getting at it again for a little while - prolonging the life and the shine :wink:
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
Tiny
Minor Friendly

Post by Tiny »

+1 on the Autosol
Also theirs a product called MER, that can be used to polish practically any surface, great if your in a hurry and don't have time to work through a garage cupboard full of different products for different bits.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Try Peek non abrasive multipurpose metal cleaner as recommended by Practical classics.
See:-
http://www.frost.co.uk/car-care-tools/p ... eaner.html

db6431
Minor Friendly

Post by db6431 »

I to have used autosol and found it very effective.
I only use it for an initial clean though and after that I borrowed an old motorcyclists tip and just sprayed a mist of wd40 on the chrome. You just leave it on and it protects the chrome and also gives it a great shine. My old motorcycle mate said that's how they keep their shiny exhausts shiny :D
db6431
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

My grandfather was a chauffeur to a Lancashire mill owner. He used to polish the chrome on "his" Daimler by using fine dust he picked up from the concrete garage floor as an abrasive. He was highly amused by one of the senior managers who saw him doing this, then brought a matchbox which he filled with the magic dust to take home....

Mark
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Once you have used it, immediately polish with a good body wax, putting a layer on top of the chrome to prevent the elements getting at it again for a little while - prolonging the life and the shine :wink:
Hi,
I also use Autosol and think it's really good but I take your point about abrasion, so thanks for a useful tip.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Coalmossian
Minor Fan

Post by Coalmossian »

I, too, use Solvol Autosol and find it to be excellent. :D :D
However, I have before me the Morris Minor 1000 Driver'sHandbook, this particular copy being one of the later ones and from May 1969. Looking in the "Body" section on page 12 under the heading "Bright Trim" it says;
"Never use an abrasive on stainless, chromium, aluminium or plastic bright parts and on no account clean them with metal polish" :cry: :cry: :roll: :roll:
It goes on to recommend the use of petroleum or white spirit to remove grease or tar stains and to wash frequently with water containing a mild detergent. After removal of dirt polish with a clean dry cloth or chamois leather until bright. Any slight tarnish found on stainless or plated components which have not received regular washing may be removed with BMC Chrome Cleaner!!! :-? :-?
One wonders what the magical latter concoction was which made it so different from a regular metal polish!!!
You pays your money and you takes your choice!! :wink: :wink:
PaulTubby
Minor Fan

Post by PaulTubby »

I use autosol for a initial clean then one clean I just polish the chrome with the car polish as and when I was the car, car polish protects it and shines well! beedage!
customjob
Minor Fan

Post by customjob »

I also use autosol but only twice a year. The rest of the time I use PEEK.

lowride stepside
Minor Fan

Post by lowride stepside »

l love solvo , my dad gave me a tube when l was about 8 so l could polish his Norton , man that bike did shine , kept me quiet for hours. He wasn't so pleased when l spent all day cleaning and polishing his cast iron front disc ,severely reducing stopping power .
speed not tweed
Joe-54
Minor Friendly

Post by Joe-54 »

I've been told that rubbing chrome with aluminium tinfoil has the desired effect without the abrasion. Obviously no good for rusty or pitted chrome but may work on the smooth stuff.
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

You can't beat solvol plus wax polish twice a year. Been using it since 1957. :D