Vertically challenged Traveller drivers!

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
foragesandfinds
MMOC Member: No

Vertically challenged Traveller drivers!

Post by foragesandfinds »

Hello everyone!

My name is Charlie - I'm the new owner of a lovely 1968 Morris 1000 Traveller, and in the process of giving it a bit of TLC before putting it back onto the road.

I have one quite significant problem however... reaching the pedals and seeing over the dashboard is a bit of a challenge! My first couple of drives had me clinging onto the steering wheel for dear life before sliding backwards and stalling quite a lot as my foot pulled off the clutch.

Joking aside, can anyone recommend decent 'adult booster seats'? I'm just under 5'3" tall... I could just use cushions but I wondered if anything exists that looks a bit nicer, and is a little more secure...

Thanks for your help with my odd request! :)

[frame]Image[/frame]
DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan

Re: Vertically challenged Traveller drivers!

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

You can get rubber blocks that fit onto the back legs of the seat, which will raise and tilt the seat, not sure if they do work because I don't have them myself, although i'm sure someone on here has them fitted who can tell you.
http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... ef7e3a94d6

charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

how bad / tired are your seats? the webbing on the seat base and back perish and break after a while allowing you to sink into the seat, it might be worth replacing that to see if it helps alongside the rubber block as suggested by daisymayfozz.
howard jones
Minor Friendly

Post by howard jones »

Those rubber blocks are a waste of time ( in my view ). I bought a set and they will simply not stay in the correct place you set them at. ( Unless you ''bond'' them in somehow. I reverted back to a made-to-shape block of wood disguised under the carpet.
That has not moved since, and the carpet helps it to stay in place. * A length of planed 3'' x 2'' cut to size will give you the option of raising it at the 'curved' part of the frame of either 3'' or 2'' - which should give you a better - and closer driving position.
Sunny Oldham
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Lift the carpet up and see which set of holes the seat is in.
The chances are that it's in the rearmost set so moving it will bring you closer to the pedal and move it up the slope of the floor a bit too.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Welcome to the world of Morris Minors :D
As above and you can pack up the front of the seat with metal (hard wood at a push) between the pivot point and the floor.
You can also lower the steering column to make it a bit easier when handling the steering wheel by putting packing between the column bracket and the underside of the glove box.
Just play around with the various options until you are happy with the driving position.

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Try a folded up blanket on the seat.

If you're STILL having problems - even after advice given above -
better off sourcing a seat from something else.

I'm NOT a fan of modifications, however, in this case it's essential
for you to feel confident and in control of your motah!

Cedric Broomhandle
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As above - move the seat forward on the mounting holes - and if necessary put timber under the rear - fix it to the seat frame so it tilts with the seat. The Driver seat should also be 'adjustable' with a lever underneath on the outside edge. I advise against 'lowering the column' - it's designed to fold forward in a bad shunt - taking the wheel away from the driver - lowering it will lose that safety factor. It may then spear back at you. If you do decide it has to be lowered - MAKE SURE you loosen the rack clamps before moving the column - and then retighten when you secure the column.
ImageImage
nikki1979uk
Minor Friendly

Post by nikki1979uk »

:) I have exactly the same problem, being 5'1

Nearly brought some of those blocks on eBay but was out bid. Glad I didn't win now.

Although I have a 2 door not a traveller, I did see a man as short as me driving a moggie, so hopefully I will manage :)
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Hi

I'm not 5'2" and can drive a Minor (Traveller) with original seats. Check that the seat webbing (underneath the seat is new, and that the foam is good - both sag with age. As already suggested there are holes in the floor for the seat to be bolted to - check that the seat is in the first hole. Then using the lever under the seat sit on your seat and bracing your feet firmly on the floor shunt yourself forward. This should bring the seat forward and you will hear a "click" when it locks into position.

Try all this first. Failing that you can always get seats from other cars Metro, Ford Ka etc that with a subframe made to fit the floorpan will give you the adjustment you can get from a modern car seat (together with headrests) Hope this helps.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512