Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Morrisminormo
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Spare parts issues!!!

Post by Morrisminormo »

Hi

Has any one else had issues with the quality of parts from esm lately? I purchased a Rear Link Arm & Bushes less than 6 months ago and the bush has come away from the arm already!

Bull motif look to know what they are on about and realise the issues with other suppliers.

Bull motif say "TRUST US-THESE ARE THE BEST ON THE MARKET BY A LONG WAY***WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCE EVAN IF YOU CAN BUY CHEAPER LINK ARMS YOU WILL NOT GET THE QUALITY! (HAS BUSHES BOTH ENDS) .

I rang esm for a replacement water pump and I told them I had the long impeller type in my 948cc and it has been running super with this in for 10+ years! They told me it must be the short impeller type so I did what the said, when it arrived the impellers was totally different! But works none the less.
I can already feel side to side movement in the bearings! My fan belt is adjusted correctly and not over tight! What rubbish quality!

Again bull motif look to know what there on about

"Water Pump(Long Impellor type)*PREMIUM*(948/1098/1275)*we only supply the best***

Oh look, long impeller type that's categorised with 1098cc and 1275cc engine! So looks like I could of had the long impeller type after all. Now thanks to esm's lack of knowledge and poor quality parts I have to once again replace my water pump for the type I originally wanted but was told I couldn't have!

I am currently in the possess of changing all trunnions and track rods and will want a clutch some time this year and I don't want a Chinese copy in a Borg and beck box! So I will be getting all parts from from bull motif from now on.

8)
Every day is a day closer to death, live for today for soon be forgotten :-(

philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Spare parts issues!!!

Post by philthehill »

As regards the water pump long/short impellor. It has been known for a water pump fitted with a long impellor to foul against the coolant side of No 1 cylinder when fitted to a small bore engine. In the past when fitting a Cooper 'S' water pump (long impellor) to a small bore engine the requirement was to shorten the impellor to allow fitment. So the general advice for fitting a water pump to a 948cc/1098cc engine is to fit a short impellor even if you found previously that the long impellor cleared the coolant side of No 1 bore. Current production water pumps (other than the Metro Turbo which has a high circulation/volume) for the 'A' series have little difference in circulation/volume even though you may be offered the choice of Long or Short impellor. I would say that ESM gave you the right advice as regards the impellor length.
As regards the bearing wear I would raise that with ESM sooner rather than later.
Even the best quality parts do go wrong sometimes and if you do not raise the problem with ESM the improvement in quality control will not happen and the bearing problem will perpetuate until someone does raise it. I am certain that ESM would be more than happy to hear your complaint because it is not in their interest to ignore it.
Last edited by philthehill on Sat May 31, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morrisminormo
Minor Fan

Post by Morrisminormo »

Hi

Yes I think I will mention the water pump to them and see what they say. I' don'twant to sound to be 100% negative towards esm. They always have a fast efficient service and are 'generally' helpful. It just the quality of parts doesn't seem to be up to a satisfactory standard.

Cheers
Every day is a day closer to death, live for today for soon be forgotten :-(

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Poor quality is pretty much the norm now. Regarding esm I've found them very helpful in the past if something is not quite right. Delivery time is always great. Doubt if other companies offer any better.

lowride stepside
Minor Fan

Post by lowride stepside »

Great service .
speed not tweed
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

If people took the time to evaluate poor quality parts (there is a section for this on ESM's website) then perhaps folk wouldn't buy them and quality would improve. I've evaluated a few items which weren't fit for purpose - takes minutes to do.
Most Minor parts are made in the same place, so quality is poor across the suppliers.
Sadly, until folk are willing to pay the price for items that are fit for purpose, then it's what we have now - and probably only going to get worse. I've got perished rubbers (year old) on a car that has been outside only a handful of times :cry: Cost a few pence, but will take hours to replace.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

That sounds useful, have you got a link to the section on ESM's website? I can't find it...
Ah, found it. :oops:
So each product has a review button, never noticed it before. Great idea and will be using it in future. :)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Whilst you can put your comments in the review box it would still be best to speak with a member of staff regarding parts issues/poor quality of parts and is specifically asked for in: http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/conditions.php?x1 Look at customer services.
Not many reviews posted on a huge range of parts so far :roll: