A treat for my dad's 80th

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Carol Blain
MMOC Member: No

A treat for my dad's 80th

Post by Carol Blain »

I am looking for someone with a morris traveller (pref a light blue one) in the Nottingham/Leicester/ Derby area. I want someone to take my dad to his birthday party in one (6th Sept).... will pay
autolycus
Minor Addict

Re: A treat for my dad's 80th

Post by autolycus »

May I, with respect, suggest that you do not offer (in public, anyway) to pay for this?

If you take a passenger "for a consideration" - which could be money, or goods, or even discounts from a future service - you come under "hire or reward" regulations. You would need to make sure your insurance covers it (it won't); and get the car, driver, and (sometimes) car owner registered for private hire with the local authority. And it isn't just a half-page form and a couple of quid: depending on the authority, it could be twice-a-year roadworthiness exams at a council-approved tester, signs, special equipment, oh, and not more than x (varies) years old.

The only exceptions are carefully defined car-sharing agreements ("petrol money"), and the one I make use of: an exemption for cars used for weddings and funerals. Yes, you might well get away with it, but the consequences of getting caught could be very expensive.

Kevin
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

So just tell Plod it's your neighbours grandad and you aren't charging.
Carol Blain

Post by Carol Blain »

Look I just mean Ill cover expenses.. I didnt need a lecture!!!
Budgie
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Budgie »

Hmmmm comes across as sound advice to me not a lecture best of luck with getting some one to help you out after that last post !
Carol Blain

Post by Carol Blain »

Well I am sorry, but our club helps gives the old, ill, sick , disabled treats when they ask.......... thought the people in this club would understand giving an old man a treat, as he owned one for 40 yrs

really sorry I even asked now
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

:roll:
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Bit of a lecture maybe but it's just someones being extra cautious, no need to get upset

autolycus
Minor Addict

Post by autolycus »

Carol Blain wrote:Look I just mean Ill cover expenses.. I didnt need a lecture!!!
Some phrase about doing something awful to one's own chips springs to mind here...

This club has many younger members: they are enthusiastic, and the future of the club, indeed of the classic car movement, but sometimes people don't immediately spot risks, or think they've just invented new ways to get round rules or insurance policy terms. This is especially true when they are being led astray by ladies of more mature years, offering them money ("...will pay") for services they'd have happily done for nothing.

I did start my post with the suggestion to our aggrieved friend "that you do not offer (in public, anyway) to pay for this".

"A word is enough to the wise".

Sorry about the chips.

Kevin
Last edited by autolycus on Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bidz
Minor Fan

Post by Bidz »

Carol Blain wrote:Well I am sorry, but our club helps gives the old, ill, sick , disabled treats when they ask.......... thought the people in this club would understand giving an old man a treat, as he owned one for 40 yrs
You're not wrong, and indeed you'd have probably found someone to do it for nothing. I read your post as to cover expenses, some people on this forum have nothing better to do with their time than trot out the same old message, rather than respond to what you actually asked. Don't worry - I'm hope you find someone, it's a lovely idea.
“The car has become an article of dress without which we feel uncertain, unclad, and incomplete in the urban compound.” ― Marshall McLuhan
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I remember another long lost member who also felt the need to quote latin phrases, to show their credentials I suppose. :roll: