Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cliff
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Just how good is a round Smith's heater

Post by cliff »

Having sold my Minor convertible a while ago I now have an '51 MG and was thinking of installing an early round Smith's heater as the car doesn't have one originally.
Can a convertible owner tell me how efficient these little heaters are? I like to drive with the hood down and don't expect much heat in all honesty but what about with the hood up?
Of course the interior of a TD is probably a third of the size of a Minor.
Any thoughts welcome.
PS I miss my moggy ... ahh!
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Just how good is a round Smith's heater

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Im not a convertible owner, but I have had a few with round heaters and they vary! My split screen traveller has a very poor heater, its good after about 30miles! The green 4 door also has the same heater and its really efficient and I can get heat within about 1 mile, it does have the cardboard cowling fitted which directs the heat either up or down.

Too many Minors so little time.....
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

I am not a convertible owner but my 61 minor has a Smiths round heater.
The round heater can give a good heat output but the problem is in a minor during the cooler months, the size of the radiator and the inrush of air through the front grill never allows the water in the radiator to get up to temperature.
From what I have read, in a minor the key to getting a reasonable output from the heater was to fit a radiator blind during the winter to limit the cooling through the radiator.
In winter the temp gauge never shows the car getting up to a decent operating temperature. In the summer boy does it get warm in the car :D
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

'63 convertible owner with round Smiths heater. Ours works so well we turn it off it's too hot! Make sure your radiator is fully flushed out and all the hoses are sound.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
cliff
Minor Fan

Post by cliff »

ASL642 wrote:'63 convertible owner with round Smiths heater. Ours works so well we turn it off it's too hot! Make sure your radiator is fully flushed out and all the hoses are sound.
This is just the sort of reply I was hoping for, do you drive much with the hood down in the winter?
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

No - but it's a new frame and it needs 2 people to make it go up/down - still v. stiff. :D The hood is mohair and although I was expecting it to be draughty it's not. We don't use it to go to work in though - the 2 dr does the trip into Birmingham each day.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Of equal concern is the demisting ability. My fug stirrer in the Series MM is adequate at keeping the screen clear with just the driver on board but any passengers are given the yellow duster with instructions to stop breathing and keep wiping! Of course I could always open the quarter light but that risks severe frostbite to the fingers.
I should be grateful for the heater as it was an optional extra and one was expected to wear a hat, gloves and overcoat
[sig]3580[/sig]
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
My round Smiths heater works a treat, though it has to be said that it's effectiveness at screen clearance reduces with the outside temperature! :-?
Mind you, I flushed my system out with the two part rad flush and it worked all the better for it.
I recently did the same to my MG and found that was much happier for a good flush through - I followed the instructions to the letter, even removing the thermostat to help with the back flushing.
Also for the flushing out I attached the hose to the hot tap and flushed it with hot water - including jamming the hose on the heater pipe and flushing the heater individually. Cleared it out a treat.
Then refilled with a good 50 / 50 mix of anti-freeze / water.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
cliff
Minor Fan

Post by cliff »

Hi Mike,
Good advice thanks, only my '51 MG doesn't have demisting vents, I can always open the windscreen if it gets to misty :-?

[frame]Image[/frame]
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Nice car!
Just needs demisting vents to make it perfect!! :lol:
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
cliff
Minor Fan

Post by cliff »

:lol:
cliff
Minor Fan

Post by cliff »

For the record my round Smiths heater is now installed and working very well indeed, it looks period and gets the interior toasty. I think Smiths made two sizes, both the same diameter but one is roughly 3ins deep and one nearly double that, mines the bigger one.[frame]Image[/frame]
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

mine has a round heater just open the quater lights when necassary it works fine just need to keep the system flushed
[sig]5641[/sig]
Deux Chevaux
Minor Friendly

Post by Deux Chevaux »

I remember a trip from Worcester to Tamworth along the M5/M42 on a very cold winter's evening around 15 years ago. The convertible, being a 1961 model, had the round type Smith's heater. By the time I completed the journey I was a human icicle. I spent the evening drinking coffee at the pub just to defrost. I spent the night bouncing off my bedroom walls and ceiling. :lol:

Photo taken at Skaw Beach, Unst, Shetland Islands. The very end of the most northerly road in the British Isles.

Owned 663 KYC a 1961 Clipper Blue Morris Minor Tourer.
Propriétaire d'un 1988 Vert Bambou et Blanc Meije Citroën 2CV-Six Spécial.
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

I have a round heater in my '53 convertible which works pretty well. Hood is down most of the time when its used, even in winter, (otherwise whats the point of a convertible!) and it manages to stave of hyperthermia a treat! Seriously, its pretty good and the warmth coming past the legs works quite well combined with the fresh air of open top motoring. With the hood up it gets a bit stuffy so normally have quarterlights or door window open at least if its not raining too much...
Remember one transpennine trip in winter, and being reluctanct to stop and raise the hood when the snow started and keeping the speed up kept the snow going over the windscreen top. Had about an inch on the back seat when I got home. Fortunately no rear seat passengers on that journey... :)
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
kjm
Minor Addict

Post by kjm »

I find the round Smiths heater in my 63 convertible good