Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Historic car road tax renewal

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I know this subject has been mentioned before but how exactly do I go about renewing this when it becomes due?
And do owners of historic and therefore tax exempt cars need to do anything anymore?
I say this as the Police and therefore (presumably) HM Customs and Excise can view online whether a car has got insurance and a current MOT (or not).
This being the case they don't need to inquire, as it would be logical to assume that any car without such will flag up when it's due for renewal and, if the date passes, a letter would be (computer?) generated and sent out to the owner, to remind them (and / or threaten them with a fine / legal action for non-compliance).
So, as I inquired above and being we will no longer receive (and therefore be required to display) a replacement disc, do I, as the owner of MOT'd and insured historic cars actually need to do anything when my current tax discs expire?
(Apart from, obviously, keeping the insurance and MOT's up to date.)
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
simmitc

Re: Historic car road tax renewal

Post by simmitc »

It's really very simple, the DVLA will send you a reminder as they do at present, and you renew the "tax" either online or at the Post Office. Remember to attach the duty payable of "Nil". You still have a duty to either "tax" or SORN a vehicle, it's justr that you don't have to display a paper disc.
chickenjohn
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by chickenjohn »

Easiest to renew online at the DVLA website.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
customjob
Minor Fan

Post by customjob »

You will still need to apply for Tax in the normal way as you would a modern car. If not it is now a £1000 fine for not paying. If your Tax disc expires after 1st Oct 14 you must still display the disc until it expires, otherwise you commit the offence of failing to display a current VEL (Vehicle Excise Licence). Classic/Historic vehicles can display age related discs.

Deux Chevaux
Minor Friendly

Post by Deux Chevaux »

And it has nothing to do with HM Customs and Excise. The DVLA is an Executive Agency of HM Government, and has responsibility over Vehicle Excise Duty.

Photo taken at Skaw Beach, Unst, Shetland Islands. The very end of the most northerly road in the British Isles.

Owned 663 KYC a 1961 Clipper Blue Morris Minor Tourer.
Propriétaire d'un 1988 Vert Bambou et Blanc Meije Citroën 2CV-Six Spécial.
andy.pointeer
Minor Fan

Post by andy.pointeer »

My TAX runs until 31 October 2014, I am waiting to see what comes in the post and will then do as indicated on form. I will supply update on what is requested on form.
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch

1966 Smoke Grey Traveller
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Thanks for the replies.
My Moggy also runs out on the 31st October, the MG on 31st March next year, both are registered to me at my current address, so like Andy Pointeer above, I shall just have to wait and see what comes in the post.
Though I think I shall look into doing whatever is needed online this time (also suggested above), unless they still require you to produce your documents, as there is no disc to collect.
If, despite records being viewable online for interested 'official' parties, my MOT's and insurance certificates are still required to be 'seen', then I shall pop along to the local Post Office like usual.
I will (like Andy) add an update for anyone else who is interested, when I know.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
warweezil
Minor Friendly

Post by warweezil »

For on line renewal surely things should remain the same as before which I have used for taxing my "modern"?

Then the system cross referenced a renewal application with the Insurance database and VOSA and allowed the application to progress if all was in order. I am assuming that for the new system the (printable) confirmation will still be available - it has been useful for peace of mind in the past while awaiting the disc, so that might be useful to have in your records.
The voices in my head may not be real.... But they have some damn good ideas.
jfs52e
Minor Friendly

Post by jfs52e »

You don't have to display any disc now even if it doesn't run out for a few months. See the following link :D http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2014/10/unde ... isc-rules/
Humpty. 1956 2 door deluxe
faversham999
Minor Fan

Post by faversham999 »

its now personal Vehicle Excise Duty, so when you buy another car you have to tax it from the day you own, it same as insurance
so there is no need for a tax disc

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I will not have the satisfaction of standing in front of the queue in the Post Office saying "Can I have my FREE tax disc please"
[sig]3580[/sig]
catswhisker
Minor Friendly

Post by catswhisker »

So you have to tax the vehicle but don't get a tax disc and don't hand over any payment.
Seems a bit pointless I reckon !
warweezil
Minor Friendly

Post by warweezil »

I think with historic cars it becomes an excersize in verifying the ownership and documentation, pretty pointless really.
The voices in my head may not be real.... But they have some damn good ideas.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Okay, I'm a convert - now that I no longer need to collect a disc to display anyway!
Renewing online was a doddle, you just type in the site address - http://www.gov.uk/vehicletax - and follow the directions - simples!! :D
The only piece of information required from you is the 16 digit reference number on your V11 renewal form, which is located in the top right hand side blue bordered box headed 'You can tax or SORN online at'.....................
then just follow the prompts, it checks your vehicle details (MOT and insurance) automatically and bingo, one taxed car! :P
(For my own piece of mind I selected the 'print this page' option on the confirmation page, where it gives you your reference number, I attached this to back of my V11 application form like a receipt.)
So I can carry on driving Abby legally for another year................... :D :D
Best wishes,
Mike.
andy.pointeer
Minor Fan

Post by andy.pointeer »

My reminder came today and I TAXed my car on line as I have done in previous years. As Mike indicated its very easy to do once you have your V11. I also printed the Application Complete form and requested an email confirmation.

The only change to the form from last year was the words below that were in the top right corner of the form.[frame]Image[/frame]

So I am now OK for another years driving
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch

1966 Smoke Grey Traveller