Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Supermarket petrol.

Post by SteveClem »

Friend of mine is a self employed mechanic. He's started advising customers to avoid Morrisons petrol due to s..t in filters. Think I may have heard of this before. Urban myth?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Supermarket petrol.

Post by bmcecosse »

It's fine for me - use it all the time. Maybe a local problem at particular outlet?
ImageImage
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Been using it for the past couple of years with no problems. At the moment though I am using Asda as it is up to 2p a ltr cheaper.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

This occurred down with us in Llanelli South Wales a few weeks before Christmas and it did cause a large number of problems with cars not making it out of the petrol station or just a few hundred yards and it was down to water contamination at the refinery which fills all sorts of filling stations and not just Morrison's. The AA and RAC had a field day and the petrol station was closed for a few days whilst the storage tanks were emptied but all seems fine since although I always fill up at Tesco's but that's something that I do because I shop there.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

And you get your points, 28p per litre off for me on this months fill up :D
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

I had to take my tank off my works van through water :evil:
viewsonic1
Minor Fan

Post by viewsonic1 »

Look at the Honest John website. He wouldn't touch supermarket petrol with the proverbial barge pole. Admittedly he refers to modern euroboxes.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/search/?typ ... ket+petrol
drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

Go to any refinery, Stanlow, Ellesmere port is near us. You WILL see the supermarket tankers filling up with the petrol companies tankers it,s all the same. Only difference is the supermarkets provide the haulier to deliver to their stations

Minor Fan

Post by 1098 »

drivewasher wrote:Go to any refinery, Stanlow, Ellesmere port is near us. You WILL see the supermarket tankers filling up with the petrol companies tankers it,s all the same. Only difference is the supermarkets provide the haulier to deliver to their stations
Top man drivewasher !Took my break in our mess room last night, with a Shell,BP,and Texaco driver,after,we had all loaded on the same loading rack ! Thirty years of delivering petrol,I've heard all the stories,yawn ! One way to save petrol/diesel consumption,and it starts with your right foot.[frame]Image[/frame]
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

I used to be an engineer on BP ships and we used to deliver to shell, esso etc. different dye was put in the tanks before we discharged it ashore and we only carried premium or regular, any other additives were added at the refinery. Same with parafin, it was either blue, green or red and came out of the same tanks on the ship. :(
Minor Fan

Post by 1098 »

smithskids wrote:I used to be an engineer on BP ships and we used to deliver to shell, esso etc. different dye was put in the tanks before we discharged it ashore and we only carried premium or regular, any other additives were added at the refinery. Same with parafin, it was either blue, green or red and came out of the same tanks on the ship. :(
Premium and Regular,now that takes me back a while !
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Of course it's all the same fuel - people delude themselves that one is 'better' than another.....
ImageImage
The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

It always makes me laugh when these topics come up. The very idea that there are folks out there believing that refineries exist just making morrisons petrol or indeed any other branded petrol is hard to consider without smiling widely.

It's even more entertaining that there are folks dispensing their wisdom on the subject to anyone prepared to listen. Any localised problem at any service station is just that, a localised problem.

all good entertainment.

One thing I have noticed since Christmas is I'm now putting diesel to the value of 130 quid a week in my company car instead of 170 quid. Now that's something to behold. I fill up twice a week and do around 1300 miles. I use any filling station no matter what the brand or price as I'm not paying and have never had an issue, supermarket or otherwise with the quality of the fuel. I just fill up when the light comes on at the nearest station to wherever I happen to be. There is absolutely no difference whatsoever in quality of fuel or performance of the engine for the above, obvious reasons.

Yes, it's an urban myth.

Al
LUR759H
Minor Fan

Post by LUR759H »

We only buy tescos its the best.....its always worked fine, i dont know what all the fuss is!!

Alan
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

Understand it all comes from the same place but different companies have their own additives....
Tesco points pay for my car and caravan thro' the Chunnel each year.
John

Bertie.
The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

LUR759H wrote:We only buy tescos its the best.....its always worked fine, i dont know what all the fuss is!!

Alan
There isn't any fuss :D
This is light entertainment only.

Always good for a chuckle, I'm sure Tesco MAKES very fine petrol indeed :lol: :lol:
drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

|And an advantage with supermarkets is you can get your nibbles and pop at the proper low price rather than greatly inflaited at petrol stations and don't get me started about motorway stealers!!

leafie

Post by leafie »

The trick our local petrol station next to Manchester Airport uses is to have unleaded and diesel on their board at a very competitive price and then only have them for sale at one pump. Their premium unleaded is the only petrol available at the other five pumps at a very uncompetitive price, they do exactly the same with their diesel.

It's absolutely amazing to watch how many people filling hire cars don't notice. :x
drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

is that T1 or T2 station

leafie

Post by leafie »

drivewasher wrote:is that T1 or T2 station
Neither of those as I'm aware, just a bit further down the road.