If you are in Mauritius, visit Auntie Athalie (13 pictures)

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Hubert
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

If you are in Mauritius, visit Auntie Athalie (13 pictures)

Post by Hubert »

Don’t you know this feeling? As an owner of a classic car you always keep your eyes open to detect other classic cars in traffic and a digital camera is in your pocket to capture these rare vehicles. I must admit, I can’t stop doing this even when we are on holiday. Quite recently we spent a holiday in Mauritius, and it was the same. As a former British colony, there used to be numerous Morris Minors, and during previous visits we were able to spot one or the other, but I never had the chance to photograph one. Therefore I was especially eager to see one this time, but all the attention seemed to be in vain.

That was until a taxi ride with a very nice driver, with whom we had a very interesting conversation. When the subject turned to classic cars, especially Morris Minors, he mentioned a restaurant near the village of Pamplemousses. He explained that the landlord of the restaurant “chez tante Athalie” also loves vintage cars and has assembled a nice collection of mostly British classics, among them a Morris Minor. We were happy about this information, as a visit to Pamplemousse and its large botanic garden had already been on our list of further visits.

So a few days later we took a bus from our resort to Pamplemousses and spent half a day in the wonderful garden. Leaving it we enquired for the restaurant, and one of the guides showed us a large poster opposite the entrance to the garden, indicating the route to auntie Athalie, but he was astonished that we didn’t want him to call a taxi (Mauritians obviously don’t like walking).

Half an hour later we turned into a lane that leads to an old colonial house, where a sign directed us to the adjacent restaurant.

There we were, and we were overwhelmed about the view that was offered to us in the garden around the restaurant. We were welcomed by a Wolseley 15/50 and a Jaguar XK 150, …

… joined by fintail Mercedes 200.

By the side of the garden was a shelter that gave a basic protection to eight classic cars.

We saw a VW 181, an Austin A40 Somerset, a …

… a Morris Oxford S III, a Singer Gazelle IIIc, a Bedford wrecker, which I believe is based on a Luton or OST lorry, a Triumph Toledo, an MG 1300 and …

… a Vauxhall Cresta.

I finally took a look at the immaculate Jaguar XK 150.

The lawn by the restaurant terrace was decorated by an MG Midget, a rubber bumper MG B, …

… a Mini and a Citroen 7CV.

Near the restaurant entrance a Triumph TR 3 was parked.

We enjoyed a very good and typically Mauritian lunch in the company of beautiful classics, and had a nice chat with the landlord and his wife. We also asked for the Morris Minor, which our taxi driver had mentioned. We were invited to have a look behind the restaurant building.

There was the Moggy, but it was in a very sorry state. Someone had even parked a Range Rover on part of the front end. Obviously the Traveller had been cannibalized for spares needed by some of the other classics. It was a sad view, but to see all the other classics, mostly in immaculate condition, made the visit to tante Athalie well worthwhile.

On our way back to the town we passed another car in a car port which obviously belonged to the landlord’s house and saw another classic, which I first took for an Austin 10 or 12. But at closer look it revealed a Toyota badge on the bonnet. Hadn’t I read somewhere, that the first postwar Toyota was based on an Austin model? Unfortunately we had to walk back to Pamplemousse to catch our bus, the New Year’s party was waiting for us, but I’d loved to enquire about this car.

Anyway, if you happen to come to Mauritius, I can only recommend a visit to the restaurant “Chez Tante Athalie”. It is situated on the main road from Pamplemousses to Flacq, about 2 kms from the town centre and easy to find.

Cheers

Hubert
busguy
Minor Addict

Re: If you are in Mauritius, visit Auntie Athalie (13 pictures)

Post by busguy »

Shame about the Minor, but well done Hubert in sharing this really interesting discussion post!
Last edited by busguy on Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by panky »

What a brilliant place :D
leafie

Post by leafie »

Please tell me it's not just me who's first thought was I wonder if that traveller could be saved :x
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

leafie wrote:Please tell me it's not just me who's first thought was I wonder if that traveller could be saved :x
...and I thought the wood looks in quite good condition.
]
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

stag36587 wrote:
leafie wrote:Please tell me it's not just me who's first thought was I wonder if that traveller could be saved :x
For heavens sake, do NOT tell Alan!!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Hubert
Minor Friendly

Post by Hubert »

stag36587 wrote:
No, I don't think so. It looked like it had a thick coat of plaster and a few layers of paint on it.
TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

I know a few like that
:roll: