Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

garage alarm

Post by les »

I've been checking out home made garage alarms, using a mobile phone, basically wiring up one button to speed dail out. The circuits i've found are not too specific for wiring up the timer, which is apparently a 555 unit? Has anyone made a similar alarm using a mobile and has a proper schematic diagram?
http://www.instructables.com/id/Motorbike-Phone-Alarm/

Chipper
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: garage alarm

Post by Chipper »

Ah, yes, the ubiquitous NE555V timer chip, used in many such applications. In fact, E. A. Parr wrote a couple of small paperback books covering various circuits based on the chip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Integrated-Circ ... 0859340473
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

So much for the chip, what I need is the complete diagram to wire up the device, the link I posted shows the basic layout but not the circuit and connections for the condensers diode and resistors and what type of relay.

chuffit
Minor Friendly

Post by chuffit »

I knew a guy who used a central locking door motor which when alarm activated pushed the send button on the mobile which had already had the number keyed in , system worked well.

Fairford,Glos
Enjoy life in the slow lane buy a minor
jfs52e
Minor Friendly

Post by jfs52e »

Since my moggie cost me about £2000, i thought I'd get a proper professionally fitted garage alarm system. At just over £200 i thought it was quite good value. Helps with the lawnmower, bikes, barbecue etc, etc, etc as well. Only downside is you need power in your garage first. :D
Humpty. 1956 2 door deluxe
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I fitted a smoke detector in my garage, trouble is every time I start the car it sets the alarm off :(
[sig]3580[/sig]
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Our local Bobby reckons the most important part of any alarm system is a prominent alarm box. Deters the casual thief, he says.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I need a system that phones me when someone touches the door handle rather than wait until they actually have broken in!

kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

if you fit one of the wireless alarms to your house (we have a yale one) as long as your garage is reasonably close you can also fit the battery operated sensors to your garage.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Unfortunately this garage will be some distance away but thanks for the thought.

M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

How about this door switch alarm thingy. Will even monitor for sounds then text you. If you connect up to car battery it will run for ages...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Call-Back-SMS ... 3394104113
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks for that, it might be something I could adapt, especially at that price.

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I still agre with our Bobby that visible deterrence is more effective than clever technology.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

You could argue that a visible box etc suggests that there is something there worth stealing, especially if it's on a stand alone garage. The whole issue is a problem but as the existence of lowlife is no doubt here to stay, some measures have to be taken, be it a box or something else. I'm still keen on making a trigger mechanism to detect any movement of the door handles.

Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

I agree with Les, only takes one person to see into the garage, word spreads and before you know it they are in ransacking the place.
I belonged to a model flying club and we had a container with a petrol lawnmower for cutting the strip. The container was well secured with 3 custom made entry mechanisms that required special keys to open. The local scroats tried multiple times to get in,but were unable to get in through the front doors. In the end they used a gas cutting torch to cut a hole in the side to nick a 2nd hand £35 lawnmower.
It's a shame the guy in your first post Les doesn't go into more detail as it looks a promising alarm method.

The only one I can find is this, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RF-V11-GSM-re ... 1359391999
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes Richard, the arrangement I linked to is poor on detail but I'm slowly piecing the IC timer circuit together, I hope I'm getting it right! Will be ordering some components to make a provisional unit, if nothing else, It'll be interesting to see the result. :D

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

My dog lets the neighbourhood know when anyone comes near the garage :evil:
[sig]3580[/sig]
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

That looks very similar to the one above.:roll: Even the thief looks the same unless he has a twin but then that it as old excuse. :)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well, against all odds, and with great surprise, I have managed to build a working circuit that switches on for 3 seconds then off. I bought a cheap mobile to complete the setup but neglected to check if it had a speed dial function------it didn't! So I'll need to make sure of that for the next purchase. :-? Then I need to rig up the triggering system. It's coming along bar any unforeseen issues. :D

GrumpyOne
Minor Friendly

Post by GrumpyOne »

Hi, might be too late for you but I found this on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIR-alarm-Rin ... 487a3e823c