Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tezm8
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Need New Exhaust

Post by Tezm8 »

hello there! I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which exhausts to buy my 1960 Morris 2 door saloon. the car has the original exhaust fitted. I have been looking at the larger bore exhausts available and I am wondering if they would be a nice addition. my problem is I haven't done anything to the exhaust since I've ad the car and need advice on if I decide to switch to the larger bore which parts will need replaced? and do I need to do anything to the engine? also if it is worth the change to the larger bore or is it better staying with the same size? I look forward to a reply soon!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Need New Exhaust

Post by bmcecosse »

If it's a standard engine - keep to a standard exhaust... Ask in your local autoparts place - they may be able to get an exhaust, and save you the carriage costs...
ImageImage
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

I did wonder what to do about replacing my exhaust which may only last a few more months. I've now picked up an Ital manifold and am keeping my eye out for a an SU 38 HIF so that when the exhaust gives up I can increase to 1.5" bore. My idea is to go for gradual improvement as and when I can afford the bits and I would like a 1275 engine one day......
John

Bertie.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

To get the benefit of the larger carb - it should be on an unheated alloy inlet manifold. A 1275 would want a HIF 45 carb....
ImageImage
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

I recently got two from a local car parts place, they had to be made as none were in stock when ordered but delivered to the parts place only cost £37.50 each though they did take about 4 weeks. They seem well enough made but the silencer is quite a bit smaller. It hasnt been fitted yet though as my temporary repair (rolled tin, exhaust paste and jubilee clips..) hasnt started blowing yet!!

Too many Minors so little time.....
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

If you intend keeping the car for a long time then it is worth fitting a stainless steel system. My Series MM system hs been on for 25 years
[sig]3580[/sig]
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

The new stainless systems are not as good as the old stuff Mike and watch out for dubios quality
Tezm8
Minor Friendly

Post by Tezm8 »

So is a bigger bore a good idea or not necessary?
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Bigger bore = bigger cost, may only be available as twin silencer system?
[sig]3580[/sig]
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Only if you are planning further modifications, i.e. 1 1/2" carb with a better cylinder head. Otherwise all you will do is make more noise :-?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I said already - standard engine needs a standard exhaust. So unless you are planning modifications.... It would need a large bore manifold anyway... which would use a larger carb. All perfectly do-able, but are you up for it?
ImageImage
Tezm8
Minor Friendly

Post by Tezm8 »

Thank you for all your comments its much appreciated. after all that I think im better off sticking with just a direct replacement. this is because although I intend on keeping my car for a considerable length of time I don't intend on doing too many modifications. originality is best in my mind and although I am only 19 I would rather keep it as the company intended instead of turning it into a boy racer car. thanks again for your replies!
Deux Chevaux
Minor Friendly

Post by Deux Chevaux »

One of the biggest character defining idiosyncrasies of a Morris Minor (especially the 1000 models) is the exhaust note. The 'parp' must be preserved! :lol:

Photo taken at Skaw Beach, Unst, Shetland Islands. The very end of the most northerly road in the British Isles.

Owned 663 KYC a 1961 Clipper Blue Morris Minor Tourer.
Propriétaire d'un 1988 Vert Bambou et Blanc Meije Citroën 2CV-Six Spécial.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

keep it standard
[sig]5641[/sig]