Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Jayen
MMOC Member: No

Hello

Post by Jayen »

Hello there,

First post on the forum having recently also joined the MMOC following the acquisition of a 1970 ex-military Traveller which we are aiming to display next year on completion of the current restoration.

I recently e-mailed Gerry Cambridge of the Ex-Government Fleet Minors register to hopefully pass on the vehicle details, I used the address on the register website but the email was immediately pinged back as 'unable to deliver', I have also tried another Yahoo contact address but alas as yet, have not received any acknowledgement - I'm just wondering if I have the correct address or not?

Also, having made an enquiry to the DVLA regarding the possibility of obtaining a 1970 age related registration number for the vehicle (it is currently on an 'S' registration after being released from MOD in 1977) they stated that one of the requirements is a covering verification letter for the vehicle from someone at the MMOC - I wonder if anyone could advise on who such a point of contact within the owners club would be (?) - thanks. :)
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Hello

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Hi and welcome to the messageboard!!

Ive sent you a PM

Too many Minors so little time.....
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Hello and welcome. Are you sure you want to change to an age related number? The army minors have a distinctive history of their own and having a registration from when they passed into civilian use is surely part of that.
Jayen

Post by Jayen »

ianmack wrote:Hello and welcome. Are you sure you want to change to an age related number? The army minors have a distinctive history of their own and having a registration from when they passed into civilian use is surely part of that.
Thanks for the reply, this was indeed something that I had also initially pondered and now you have also made the point, on reflection, I think we will probably retain it's original first civilian registration.
leafie

Post by leafie »

Jayen wrote:
ianmack wrote:Hello and welcome. Are you sure you want to change to an age related number? The army minors have a distinctive history of their own and having a registration from when they passed into civilian use is surely part of that.
Thanks for the reply, this was indeed something that I had also initially pondered and now you have also made the point, on reflection, I think we will probably retain it's original first civilian registration.
It does make a good talking point and leads to confused looking people standing transfixed at the front of the car. :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Does it still get free road tax when on a later Reg Number ?
ImageImage
leafie

Post by leafie »

bmcecosse wrote:Does it still get free road tax when on a later Reg Number ?
Yes, historic vehicle road tax is based on the date the car was manufactured rather than when it was registered.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - just wondered if DVLA accepted that....
ImageImage
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Welcome to the MMOC.
Have you been able to determine its MOD reg number and bases/depots where it served.
You used to be able to get that info from The Army Museum Of Transport at Beverley but not aware were to go now for that info. No doubt someone on here will tell us.
Phil

Jayen

Post by Jayen »

philthehill wrote:Welcome to the MMOC.
Have you been able to determine its MOD reg number and bases/depots where it served.
You used to be able to get that info from The Army Museum Of Transport at Beverley but not aware were to go now for that info. No doubt someone on here will tell us.
Phil
Phil,
From the details on the military ID plate on the bulkhead (Military reg. 39 FJ 18) I then went onto the Royal Logistics Corps website as they now hold the archive details for ex-MOD vehicles, they have now digitised their records so you are able to run a quick search to see if the record card etc for your vehicle is available, if it is, a payment of £35 is required to proceed and obtain the specific information.

After a short spell in storage at the Central Vehicle Depot Ashchurch, this vehicle spent it's life based at the School Of Mechanical & Electrical Engineering (REME) at Bordon in Hampshire from March of 1971 to June 1977 - it was then sold off at Ruddington from MOD use.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Jayen
Many thanks for the info above.
The record cards are an important part of the vehicles history.
As part of my job before retirement I used to hold the record cards for all military locomotives both steam and diesel and for rail mounted cranes etc etc. Those cards also ended up at the RLC Museum, Deepcut.
I did my REME Officers Course at the REME School of M & E in 1984 and it was the first time I had encountered a computer and it was huge and had less capacity than my current desk top.
I was offered the job of head of the REME examination team at REME Ashchurch but declined as Ashchurch Depot was at that time in decline with possible closure.
Happy days.
Phil