Re-registering a 6 chr number plate?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Re-registering a 6 chr number plate?

Post by les »

That sounds like a plan. :) My second traveller cost me £75, (the first was a fiver) the former, after years of reliable motoring, was wrecked in an accident, and unusually for a '64 it had 3 letters and 3 numbers, so I kept the reg. Its followed me through all my daily runners since. It definitely wouldn't have done so if I'd had to pay £'s for it! :D

OHP 900
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by OHP 900 »

The real 'kick in the teeth' can come much later down the line when a future owner wants to try and get the plate back. Effectively there is no real easy way of doing it. Especially when it's still on another car. If you have a vehicle that's been of the road since before the computerisation of the DVLA system (barn find type thing) then getting 'the right' to have that reg is possible, and can be done through special is clubs etc. Remember you never 'own' a plate, you just pay for the privilege to have it on your vehicle. What's not so great is if it has been involved in an official "cherished plate transfer" and has been designated an age-related reg. The process then relies on contacting the person who is now using that original plate, coming to a deal and then trying to get they're vehicles original plate back too. You can see why some get frustrated. If the vehicle that now has the transfered plate is scrapped and the owner doesn't want the plate the DVLA will then put it back up for sale. Usually at prices enthusiasts can't/won't pay. Although this is rarely the case and the plate is just transfered to the person's next vehicle.

I have a '63 saloon that was involed in a transfer way back in the eighties, the original plate is now on a Porsche that's been off the road. Fat chance it'll get scrapped so getting the plate back is almost impossible. :roll:

However it's your money and your decision, do what you feel is right. :wink:
'49 saloon - LMM 982
‘52 4 door saloon - KWP 463
'53 van - OHP 900
‘54 Traveller - LVJ 184
'56 4 door saloon - 656 BPK
Million #281 - 1620 MY
'63 2 door saloon - KGH 680A (was 936 STX)
‘65 2 door saloon - CYD 315C
'66 Traveller - FHW 952D
'66 2 door saloon - KUD 108D
'66 Convertible - GKE 885D
'68 2 door saloon - TUW 453F
'68 4 door saloon - TYA 501G
'69 2 door saloon - RKJ 882G
'69 2 door saloon - ROU 979G
‘69 Traveller - LWL 835G

Old shape
Minor Friendly

Post by Old shape »

irmscher wrote:What makes the reg so special ??
Wifey's full initials.
Old shape
Minor Friendly

Post by Old shape »

TDV102 wrote:When I sold my 55 back in 1986 I was gutted when I saw that the buyer had sold the plate. I don't understand the appeal of a personalized plate, unless you are allocated at random for free and it has significance. I knew someone who got their initials by chance!

My last car, a Celica GT-Four cost less than a vanity plate and had supercar perfromance. Spend money on a good car, not a plate IMHO
I also knew a lad who got his initials by chance, on a Minor too! 1927PE it was. This was 1983 and before cherished plates were vogue, although it was a thing to have in certain circles.
Old shape
Minor Friendly

Post by Old shape »

leafie wrote:If the plate is worth £3-4k to your wife then offer that for the car, then put the car in a classic car auction and any money back is a bonus. If they still won't move on price pay if your happy to and any money back at auction will get you back towards your £3-4k hopefully your wife gets what she wants and somebody gets a minor at the right price.
What do you reckon the value of that car is? (Sorry the rubbish photos are all I have, and there is no further details on the advert.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Old shape wrote:
irmscher wrote:What makes the reg so special ??
Wifey's full initials.
Can't she remember them? :oops:

Certainly get the "numbers" from the car - may be a "rego mule"!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Here's a complete car with 3/3 Reg number - it's says it is the 'original' yet non-tranferable - which can't be the case if it is the original.... Anyway - complete car for £550 - probably easier for her to change her name...... :lol:
http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=62312
ImageImage
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Value? Hard to tell without underneath pictures - if I was buying I would be negotiating down from £2000 towards £1500....
ImageImage
leafie

Post by leafie »

Old shape wrote:
leafie wrote:If the plate is worth £3-4k to your wife then offer that for the car, then put the car in a classic car auction and any money back is a bonus. If they still won't move on price pay if your happy to and any money back at auction will get you back towards your £3-4k hopefully your wife gets what she wants and somebody gets a minor at the right price.
What do you reckon the value of that car is? (Sorry the rubbish photos are all I have, and there is no further details on the advert.
Almost impossible to say without a lot more pictures, go and have a look, if it's a shed then assume you will get nothing back.
leafie

Post by leafie »

bmcecosse wrote:Here's a complete car with 3/3 Reg number - it's says it is the 'original' yet non-tranferable - which can't be the case if it is the original.... Anyway - complete car for £550 - probably easier for her to change her name...... :lol:
http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=62312
This can happen if the number is removed from a car and then put back on it at a later date. My everyday modern came with its original registration number but as the previous owner had a private plate on the car previously the number is non-transferable. The OP really does need to check before parting with any money as it is the only reason he wants the car, if it turns out to be none transferable that would be a very expensive lesson. My traveller has its original E registration but it is non-transferable, something to do with when it was a police car.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Ahh - how strange ! Yes - very careful checking would be needed.
ImageImage
XWL61
Minor Fan

Post by XWL61 »

I believe original numbers that are retained through the V765 scheme are non transferable.

Andy
1955 Series 2 saloon XWL61
1957 Series 3 saloon
1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover
1953 Jowett Javelin PE Std.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

If it is non-transferable it should say so on the V5 document.
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

I just knew this site was populated with sound individuals that cared not a jot for either the quick buck or supposed status.
Not only have my suspicions been realised they have renewed my faith in my fellow man.
A very happy Christmas to Minor humankind one and all .
Where angels fear to tread
Old shape
Minor Friendly

Post by Old shape »

Thanks to all those who gave sensible answers.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

Don't understand why some people are so anti cherished numbers,I personally don't have one,but if I were rich probably would.Its got to be up to the individual,if the guy wants one it matters not where it comes from. TDV102 says he sold his 55 and the number was then sold on. My advice , do the same as I did to stop that,I sold the number of my 55 BEFORE I passed it on ,its still the same car,and the new owner was more than happy to buy it with the non transferable number,since I was prepared to accept a slightly lower price than it was worth,I made more than it was worth overall, and he got a bargain .
So come on lets not have a dig at this guy, its his right to do as he wishes
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

kennatt wrote:Don't understand why some people are so anti cherished numbers,I personally don't have one,but if I were rich probably would.Its got to be up to the individual,if the guy wants one it matters not where it comes from. TDV102 says he sold his 55 and the number was then sold on. My advice , do the same as I did to stop that,I sold the number of my 55 BEFORE I passed it on ,its still the same car,and the new owner was more than happy to buy it with the non transferable number,since I was prepared to accept a slightly lower price than it was worth,I made more than it was worth overall, and he got a bargain .
So come on lets not have a dig at this guy, its his right to do as he wishes
I agree with that. Everybody to their own, and let's remember the sale of a decent reg number can finance quite a lot of restoration/recommissioning work on a minor that might otherwise be tight on funding.
leafie

Post by leafie »

kennatt wrote: So come on lets not have a dig at this guy, its his right to do as he wishes
Thanks Kennatt.

Could I remind all posters to adhere to the Terms & Conditions as agreed to when you registered.

Specifically the following point:

8. You agree not to negatively criticise any individual, organisation, product or service.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I have no feelings either way about the 'cherished plate' - my concern here is that the OP may be seriously ripped off buying a car he doesn't want - just because it has an ' interesting' Reg number - which appears to be grossly over valued by the vendor ! Buy the car for £2k max - transfer the number, and sell the car - for £1.5/2 k . Simples ! :lol:
ImageImage
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I personally don't agree with robbing a roadworthy classic car of its identity but there are two key points that have been raised on here before he parts with any money:
One is the one pointed out above by BMC, that he should avoid being ripped off, with an overpriced car based on the vendors opinion of the value of the plate.
Secondly, that he should check that it is transferable before he buys the car. A point he doesn't mention is his posts after this was mentioned earlier, so I hope he's picked up on it.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)