Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Contaminated fuel

Post by les »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dryer-Removes-h ... B00NU633AK
Water in fuel was being discussed here recently. I've come across this.

panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Contaminated fuel

Post by panky »

A tampon for a fuel tank :D
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

The biggest problem is that ALL standard unleaded these days is contaminated fuel. Because they add ethanol to it and that ethanol contains water and corrosive acids.

Best to stick to Superunleaded as for the moment that does not have any ethanol added to it.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
Blades
Minor Fan

Post by Blades »

Hi CJ

At the moment I have got about half a tank of unleaded in Bessie, would i be ok just to add Super unleaded to this or would i be better off letting the level in the petrol tank get down to say a quarter full before putting some in

I've never used Super unleaded before, would it have any effect on the running of the engine

Nick
[sig]9332[/sig]
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

yes and yes :D
iconic
Minor Friendly

Post by iconic »

Ethanol isnt a corrosive acid.....its less acidic than pure water...it's a very mild alkaline, nor does ethanol contain water in its ethanol form....just to be correct...sorry to be pedantic but ethanol is very misunderstood and understandably, given the amount of misinformation on the 'tinternet.

happy christmas.
The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

iconic wrote:Ethanol isnt a corrosive acid.....its less acidic than pure water...it's a very mild alkaline, nor does ethanol contain water in its ethanol form....just to be correct...sorry to be pedantic but ethanol is very misunderstood and understandably, given the amount of misinformation on the 'tinternet.

happy christmas.
Well said,
I'm in the chemical process industry myself and i tend to avoid these fuel discussions, it's funny what becomes "fact" :D :D
If people really knew what goes on in fuel production they would pap themselves.

Just think of the alkylation process for example, the most dangerous acid on earth in large quantities is used in petrol production by the tanker load.

Not many people know that :wink:

Al
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

That of course begs the question---- what acid is that? :o

The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

les wrote:That of course begs the question---- what acid is that? :o

HF
Hydrofluoric Acid

Truly horrible, one of the worst deaths you can imagine. Just getting a tablespoon full on the back of your hand will kill you in a horrible horrible way as your skeleton begins to be stripped of its structural integrity. A chain reaction will ensue and you will be beyond help and in extreme agony in a matter of minutes. Amputation of the arm within an hour may save you but much beyond that and it's into your ribs, spine, skull, and then on downwards.

The HF valves our company sell are the price of houses, they are painted externally with bright yellow paint that turns bright red on contact with HF as a warning of its presence.

On the other hand, the antidote gel, if applied very quickly is a complete and total cure.

So, be careful and don't get any HF on you :D

Al
iconic
Minor Friendly

Post by iconic »

the same stuff that Aliens excrete if you cut them...it must be, I saw the film!

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

And Gremlins :lol:
iconic
Minor Friendly

Post by iconic »

irmscher wrote:And Gremlins :lol:
Ya on fire :D

next time I see Alien I'll be checking its lair ..be full of nuts, bolts, washers, circlips, split pins and spacers!
BLOWNMM
Minor Fan

Post by BLOWNMM »

Hi Guys
Hope everyone had a great Christmas day. Al - re HF acid - what you say is dead right. I worked in a cleaning and plating laboratory cleaning stainles steel beam transporting equipment for particle accelerators for about 18 years. Most of the processes involved using HF. There is however another 'super acid' which is 10 quadrillion times as strong as conc. sulphuric acid. It is Floroantimonic acid. See attached link. Glad I did not have to work with this nasty!
Cheers Bob

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoroantimonic_acid
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

I used to investigate diesel engine accidents on board ships,power stations and trains and one of the things you had to be very careful with were Viton "O" rings if the engine had been on fire as these rings would deteriorate with the heat if the temperature exceeded 300 deg centigrade and HF would be produced. Rubber gloves must be used and everything washed down in water. I don't think there are any on morris minors but you have to be cautious.
Hope you all have had a merry christmas. :D