Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Unimatrix1066
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Air compressor

Post by Unimatrix1066 »

I was lucking enough to get an air compressor for christmas :D , looking at the compressor you need an airline plus there is a mention of various adapt ers on screwfix website.
I am just seeing what I require to get going, I got 2 kits today one had various male adapt ers , just looking for a bit of advice
Thanks
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Air compressor

Post by bmcecosse »

Initially you need a long length of pipe and an adapter for inflating tyres! Next up must be a 'rattle gun' with Whitworth and A/F sockets which takes much of the effort out of work around the car.
ImageImage
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

This is all you need to start with:-

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/kit-600 ... -tool-kit/

You can build up the accessories as you require them.

The most useful air tool I have is the blow gun followed by the paraffin gun for cleaning.
I have never had the need for a 'Rattle Gun' - too easy to strip threads and snap bolts/studs.
Aldi every so often have some very good air tools on special offer and I have bought a few over the past couple of years.

I would advise against using a spring coil hose - better to use a normal hose as the spring coil hose pulling against the tool I do find very anoying and uncomfortable to use.

For example use:-

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/rh10-ru ... -10-metre/

All of your air line needs / connections can be obtained from Machine Mart.

What is the air tank capacity and the output of the compressor? Asking as you may be limited in your accessory options.

http://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/compres ... e_size=100

With all this damp weather you will need a water separator otherwise you will end up spraying everything with damp air. It is surprising how damp compressed air gets even when it appears to be a nice dry day outside.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke- ... auto-drai/

Happy New Year.
Phil

Unimatrix1066
Minor Friendly

Post by Unimatrix1066 »

Thanks for the answers , I got the upright scheppach hc50v and bought theses at screwfix 50 lr 180 psi
http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-air-t ... -set/5671h
http://www.screwfix.com/p/air-tool-spra ... eces/1710h
So looks like I just need the hose and separator there are adapt ers in the kit for the line to tools , plus a manual in English for the compressor.

I ve got to change a driveshaft on my mg van so will try it tomorrow to see what it's like
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The rattle gun I use has 4 settings - so no need to strip any threads. Very useful for undoing tight nuts/bolts - for refitting use the lowest setting and finish off with a ring key.
ImageImage
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

If you are getting a rattle gun don't be tempted to use poorly fitting sockets.
Get a set like this;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-IMPERIAL- ... Sw8-tWYE9S

The you won't be rounding nuts and bolt heads in double quick time!

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

I find the retractable hose very usful it should have a lock mechanism that keeps it held in the extended position, you should hear a racheting sound as you pull it out get it to the length you need, when you hear the racheting noise (should be three or four clicks) stop pulling in the middle of the clicks and it should stay where it is and a pull on the hose again should retract it fully again.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The rattle gun is most useful on suspension parts.....where the nuts/bolts are Whitworth/BSF... I would not use a rattle gun on engine/transmission parts (except for the crank damper bolt) so the Imperial sockets listed will have limited uses...
ImageImage
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

It is worth your powder and shot to look at the flow rate of the compressor, it will be labelled in either cfm or L/min.
Then you will be able to size your tools to fit, if you buy for instance a tool that consumes 300l a minute at 6 bar and the compressor is rated to half that you could spend a lot of time waiting for the compressor receiver to fill.
Its worth your while also to fit a filter/regulator if one is not provided, you did mention a separator, maybe thats it.
This way you will protect your air tools from dirt and water.
Also an in line lubricator pot can be used to lengthen the life of air tools, adjusted to the minimum, synthetic oils by the way wont atomise so should not be used, then I would fit A Y Piece or T at the outlet so you can have dry air for paint spraying etc.
Where angels fear to tread
Unimatrix1066
Minor Friendly

Post by Unimatrix1066 »

I ve got the compressor out for the first time the connectors do not appear to be right, see pic , is there another one I need?[frame]Image[/frame]
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Doesn't the male end on the hose just push in and click in place?
Unimatrix1066
Minor Friendly

Post by Unimatrix1066 »

I've tried that it doesnothold it, it did not want to put too much pressure on it when putting in though
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

It looks like a standard quick release connection. Make sure there's nothing in the female part to stop it going together, if it still doesn't click in try pulling on the knurled collar to see if it locks it.
BAS587
Minor Friendly

Post by BAS587 »

There are various types of quick snap connectors for compressors, euro, pcl and others, they look similar but won't fit each other.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Could be a miss-match then :(
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I also suspect a mis-match.
The female connection on the compressor is suitable for a short tailed male connection and it is obvious you have a long tailed male connection on the pipe.
A common occurrence when pick and mixing air components.
Change either to suit the pipe or compressor.

andy.pointeer
Minor Fan

Post by andy.pointeer »

The connector on the hose and the connectors in the kits you list above I belive are PCL Standard Adaptors (Screwfix 5763H).. If they do not fit the compressor, it could have the connector PCL XF Adaptor (Scewfix 2015H). If all the tools fit to the hose, (same type connectors) you would only need to change the compressor connector to a PCL Standard connector. If you search Screwfix you will see the difference in lengths.

Hope this helps
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch

1966 Smoke Grey Traveller