Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
graham1957
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

send a text and run into a morris van!

Post by graham1957 »

On saturday i was waiting to turn right into my drive when there was an almighty bang!! a t--- had run into the back of my morris van,i got out and he said "what have you stopped for" i said arn,t i allowed to turn into my drive then????? his mobile phone was on the drivers seat and all this happened in a 20 mph zone so i can only guss he was paying more attention to his text message than watching where he was going, i photographed my damage/ his damage and of course the mobile on his drivers seat, my glasses flew off my head and hit the back doors and the speedo popped out of the dash board, so im well pis--- off
[sig]8872[/sig]
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: send a text and run into a morris van!

Post by SteveClem »

Rotten luck...much damage?
graham1957
Minor Fan

Post by graham1957 »

back cross member bent,back near side door damaged on bottom and inner and outer valance damaged, i would like a cash settlement and repair it myself. i dont want it a cat c or d on the register as i am the second owner and know all its history!
[sig]8872[/sig]
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

:cry: sorry to hear that
Some people really need to take the driving test again high beams on whilst on coming traffic is coming and mobile phones are my biggest hates whilst out on the road :(
Hope it gets sorted mate I'd have thought you could atleast ask your insurers if you can do it but I doubt they will agree to it
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968 Morris Minor - 2 door - Smoke Grey - De luxe - called Norma
-1970 Morris traveller - trafalgar blue - De luxe - called Ona
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Bad luck indeed! Was the low winter sun to blame ? Don't forget to get your whiplash claim in..... Hope you weren't relying on a 'trafficator' - he may be able to argue it's not a realistic 'indicator' these days. Fun to have as a show-piece perhaps - but not practical in today's traffic.
ImageImage
graham1957
Minor Fan

Post by graham1957 »

hi bmc, no its a 1971 van with indicators, it was overcast sky no sun no rain and dry road surface, ideal driving conditions!all he had to do was look through his windscreen and not at his phone screen!!
[sig]8872[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Oh dear - well the phone on the seat is not a good sign - were the Police involved? They could check if the phone was 'in use' at the time of the impact. It really really annoys me to see truck drivers regularly 'on the phone' - but so high up that it's unlikely the cops will take any notice.
ImageImage
graham1957
Minor Fan

Post by graham1957 »

no i did not ring the police, it shuck me up ,i managed to stop a passing friend a few moments latter to give me support, i also managed a photo of the driver just in case he was not the insured driver as you here about these things happening to other people
[sig]8872[/sig]
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Anyone who runs into the back is at fault, they should be at a distance to stop. Indicators or not. Highway Code.

Bidz
Minor Fan

Post by Bidz »

Sorry to hear this awful news. A similar thing happened to me in October, I was shunted from behind by a Fiat 500 driver paying more attention to her SatNav. Luckily (for me) she was being followed by a police traffic car, who witnessed the whole thing and ensured that the claim went through without a hitch. Not having my Charlie for six weeks was saddening though!!
“The car has become an article of dress without which we feel uncertain, unclad, and incomplete in the urban compound.” ― Marshall McLuhan
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

The bad thing is with a claim you have to report it every year you renew your insurance even though it was not your fault :evil:
BTU268F
Minor Friendly

Post by BTU268F »

Hi, he should have watched the latest advert from The department of environment (northern Ireland) regarding texting while driving.

My stepdaughter, Bethany, is filmed driving the mini at the start of the advert.

https://youtu.be/CtXVxjwhDbk
Copy and paste the link above to watch the video

Hope you'll get the van repaired soon.