Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dudload
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

bonnet insulation mat

Post by dudload »

morning all!

bought one of the bonnet insulation mats from ESM whilst i was buying some other spares (and before i buy some dynamat for the bulkhead).

this one appears to be fixed on by contact adhesive, so was wondering if anyone has any useful tips that may come in handy when installing / what definitely not to do!?
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: bonnet insulation mat

Post by mogbob »

I've never fitted the ESM one but usually the advice would be :-

1.Thoroughly clean the area , degreasing the paintwork. ( degreaser, white spirit , meths whatever you have to hand and plenty of rags / kitchen paper towels ).
2.Do a dummy run by offering up the material to the area. Temporarily tape it down with some masking tape ( test it can be easily removed on a small patch first ) and trim where necessary to get a good fit. It maybe useful to " mark edges" on the metalwork with masking tape, so you can position in the right spot when the glue is on the material
3.Prepare your tools, old news paper , adhesive ,either a pad made out of rags , to smooth down and / or a small paint roller or wallpaper seam wooden roller. White spirit to clean off adhesive.
4. A second pair of hands would be invaluable. If not available, gaffa tape the bonnet prop in position. You don't won't a situation where , in the midst of holding sticky material and rubbing it down without any greases or air bubbles , the bonnet prop breaks loose !! What do you grab and what do you drop in order to catch ?
5 Start at the top so that the material can hang down free. Initial lining it up , getting it square , is crucial.
Then work the material down to the bulkhead , a small section , each side of the centre line at a time.Smooth out from the centre to the edge. Put one hand on the outside of the bonnet to provide resistance when you are rubbing the material down.
6.Health and safety , flammable glue ...work in a well ventilated area. Whilst it may not be possible to work in a warm environment , in January , keep the material and glue indoors for at least 24 hours before you get " stuck in " , if you'll pardon the pun.Try to avoid a dusty area if you have a breeze blowing the dust will stick to the glue and adhesion will be
problematic.
7 Work slowly and methodically.

Good luck with it. Bob
Cornishman
Minor Friendly

Post by Cornishman »

When where insulation mats fitted to the bonnet, and are they worth installing ? I have been pondering on doing the same as Dudload.

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

i would think to do it properly you would have to take the bonnet off
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

thanks for taking the time to write that out mogbob - much appreciated!!

now for the really stupid question - one side is a dark plasticy type material, the other a dense fibre (like a doormat). i take it the doormat side is the one that affixed to the bonnet with the (i assume) fireproof darker side facing the engine?
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

You could always ask ESM. I'm surprised that it doesn't come with an (albeit very simple) instruction / information sheet to say which side in/out and which adhesive to use.

On a positive note, I fitted some sound deadening material to one of the Traveller bonnets about 32 years ago. The material I used was clear that the bitumen coated side went to the metal leaving the non-coated side out. Don't just use that with yours as it could be different material. Anyway, I used standard EvoStick and the material is still in place. Moreover, it gave a significant reduction in engine noise and was well worth doing. I used the same stuff on the cabin side of the bulkhead (far better than the standard material) and the inside of the roof - what a reduction in noise in the rain! The downside is that it added to the weight and therefore marginally reduced speed and marginally increased fuel consumption, but is was very marginal. The bonnet hinges and stay have taken the extra weight with no trouble.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Are you sure you had reduced speed and mpg? It's only a piece of underfelt and some glue! I'll leave my coat behind next time I take a drive! :D

andy.pointeer
Minor Fan

Post by andy.pointeer »

I have the same kit from ESM, not yet fitted and I had instructions in the pack with the glue. They recommend you remove the bonnet, clean and remove grease. Apply glue evenly around the edges and the centre of the felt and the corresponding area on the bonnet. Ally to dry for at least 24 hours before refitting bonnet.

Hope this helps
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch

1966 Smoke Grey Traveller
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

thanks Andy and simmitc - sounds like i've got some work on my hands as I've never taken the bonnet off. is this a tricky business, or fairly straight forward?

sorry for complete newbie questions!
faversham999
Minor Fan

Post by faversham999 »

Mabe he stuck it on the bonnet not underneath that would add more MPG
If you stick heavy plastic on the doors then put the door cards back on that make the car that cuts the noise

dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

Sandy - does the insulation say the fibre side is the one that should be glued to the bonnet, with the black side facing down towards the engine (didn't get a chance to call ESM).
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Bonnet removal is simple and easy if the nuts com undone OK. Lift bonnet and support. Remove pin that holds the stay to the bonnet. Remove the nuts that hold the bonnet to the hinges. Lift away. One of those jobs that is much easier with at least two people. Be careful not to lose the washers. Refitting is the reverse of removal. The only problem will be if the threads strip or studs shear, but that does not usually happen. If it does, at least replacement hings are available.

To those wondering about weight vs performance, every weight will have some effect - passengers, luggage, even the amount of fuel in the tank. With soundproofing, the denser it is the more effective it is, and the heavier it is. If doing the whole car (bonnet, doors, floor pan, side panels, roof etc) then a lot of material is used, and when amalgamated into a single roll then it weighs a lot and does have an effect. Anyway I wrote "marginally". For anyone really worried about fuel consumption, even head wind versus tail wind will have an affect - ask any airline pilot.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

All sounds quite nasty - surely the 'fibre' is bound to attract oiliness and become a fire hazard! Also can't see how it would affect top speed....... Surely the bonnet is the least effective place to soundproof - after all - the noise escapes into the fresh air! Refitting a bonnet without causing any scratching to wings and/or scuttle (and not breaking an expensive hinge) is not a simple job - and then you need to align it so the front catch holds it securely - but still allows it to open when you pull the rod! Consider this all carefully before going ahead.
ImageImage
andy.pointeer
Minor Fan

Post by andy.pointeer »

Below is the instruction that came with my kit
[frame]Image[/frame]
Hope all goes well with the fitting, can you post pictures when completed
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch

1966 Smoke Grey Traveller
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

I was advised to fit a soundproofing mat on the underside of the bonnet years ago, when I was wanting to enter a Minor for night time road rallies and all cars were strictly noise tested before each event. I was a bit unsure about this so had a pre event noise check by the local motor clubs scrutineer and he advised a sound proofing mat under the bonnet as a lot of noise on his meter was coming from the front end of the car. I made from from some underfelt and glued it on. Got through the noise test though I suspect it was more to do with another exhaust silencer I fitted at the same time... But I guess it all helped!
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

Thanks All for the advice - ended up not fitting it this weekend as a friend needed me to do some ferrying around which used up my remaining tinkering time! (will try next weekend and will certainly post pictures)

on a separate note - i did have a look at brakes on the rear at the weekend, but will start another thread to avoid going OT