Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
millerman
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Radio aerial booster

Post by millerman »

I have a roof-mounted radio aerial on my Traveller which doesn't give very good reception on either AM or FM.

Has anyone fitted an aerial booster and had much better reception or any other advice to enable better radio reception?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Radio aerial booster

Post by bmcecosse »

It will also 'boost' interference and background noise.. Is the aerial correctly fitted with a good connection to bare metal - and no chance the co-ax lead is shorting to the car body?

G7ALL
Last edited by bmcecosse on Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I've tried a couple over the years and found them a waste of time and money. Best result is always to fit a good aerial with a good cable. For roof mounting, I have always found Ford Mondeo aerials to be excellent.
leafie

Post by leafie »

millerman wrote:I have a roof-mounted radio aerial on my Traveller which doesn't give very good reception on either AM or FM.

Has anyone fitted an aerial booster and had much better reception or any other advice to enable better radio reception?
Is this a recent development? Reason I ask is that in my part of the world they must have been doing work on the transmitter because four of the five cars in our household have been affected to varying degrees by the same issue recently, the one that isn't had a digital radio fitted.
graham1957
Minor Fan

Post by graham1957 »

i agree with bmc, it will also boost interference,its worth testing the aerial with a multimeter if you can handle one.measure continuity from the aerial plug outer to a suitable body part eg metal dash or somewhere, it should read less than 2 ohms. Then measure the tip of the plug to the aerial rod which should give a reading of less than 10 ohms.Then measure from tip of plug to plug outer and that should be infinite of course.Just one other thought if its a cheap radio they seem prone to just picking up interference. My money is on the aerial earth connection on the inside of the roof!!
[sig]8872[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

They are trying to force us all on to the dreadful DAB radios - so indeed they may be reducing transmission output as part of the 'encouragement'.... Just use a mobile phone connected to an amp if you want music while you drive...although how you can hope to hear it above the engine noise is beyond me.

G7ALL
Last edited by bmcecosse on Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
millerman
Minor Addict

Post by millerman »

Thanks all for replies :D

I can just about handle a multi meter :( and will carry out the tests as per Graham 1957. Are these recommended figure or what you think they may be? Presumably this will prove whether or not I have a good earth connection on the roof?
graham1957
Minor Fan

Post by graham1957 »

i have 40 years experience of radio tv electronics and the reading are what i would expect, yes it would prove if a good earth from the outer coax conductor to the roof is present, any shorts in the coax and an open circuit inner conductor, i dont know what radio you have but from experience some of the budget one,s tend to be more prone to pick up all kinds interference from the car, hope this helps Mackie the collie
[sig]8872[/sig]
millerman
Minor Addict

Post by millerman »

graham1957 wrote:i have 40 years experience of radio tv electronics and the reading are what i would expect, yes it would prove if a good earth from the outer coax conductor to the roof is present, any shorts in the coax and an open circuit inner conductor, i dont know what radio you have but from experience some of the budget one,s tend to be more prone to pick up all kinds interference from the car, hope this helps Mackie the collie
Will have a test session over the weekend, very useful information. I have a Kenwood radio, reasonable quality. the problem is the weak signal rather than interference.

You have a PM
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

Some of those boosters work quite well, the powered variety are best, before you commit though, all the fm transmissions are transmitted in vertical polarisation, so If your antenna is laid flat or at a 45 degree angle its reception will not be as good as if you point it straight up.
This tends to be why they are predominantly wing fitted, where they wont bash any low garages etc.
If possible just point it to the sky and see if things improve.
Ideally you need an antenna made for the 90 to 100 MHz range, or there abouts, this makes it resonant to the fm frequencies you are trying to pick up.
Tandy or some such will help there in selecting the right antenna.
Good luck, Dick G0AIH. Amateur by name, amateur by nature, :roll:
Where angels fear to tread
graham1957
Minor Fan

Post by graham1957 »

didnt know bmc is a radio ham G7ALL/G8RFW
[sig]8872[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Sold my Radios yesterday - haven't used them for many years......
ImageImage