Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

What does the panel think?

Post by bmcecosse »

cf this thread where I sold a steering wheel - am I right enough in my thinking? Or does the 'panel' disagree??
http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=63342
ImageImage
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: What does the panel think?

Post by SteveClem »

Seems that you were both happy so the price was right.
leafie

Post by leafie »

I sold one for the same price to a local member and asked them to give the £10 to a local charity. So if £10 is wrong we are both wrong. Does that make it a right? :D
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Roy, you are correct, but that's the old school way. It seems today that there is a culture of getting the maximum for everything. I've both given and received parts free of charge, but sadly in todays society this doesn't seem the case anymore. You got what you thought the part was worth, so that's an end of it. However, i'd be pretty miffed if it appeared on ebay for a lot more. It does annoy me when I've given parts away and expected the recipient to pay for postage (agreed they would before sending) and this not happening :-?
Go on any Minor site on facebook to see what the norm is these days :D

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I imagine we all want to obtain a price for items which seems "fair". However, what a secondhand item is really worth depends on all sorts of factors so it is very hard define. If you are simply wanting to get rid of unwanted items and don't much care what price you get, you'll obviously be very pleased to receive anything. If however you wish to achieve the market value you'll probably ask more or at least do some research? I you were happy to receive £10 for an unwanted steering wheel then that is great, you will be happy and so will the buyer but that alone doesn't establish that £10 is the market value. As it happens, I needed an identical steering wheel last year for my own Minor and looked at a few on ebay over a month or two. I paid £22 plus £6 postage for the one I bought which seemed fair to me and was less than some I had seen, so I was happy too :).
Rasputin
Minor Fan

Post by Rasputin »

Yes you are right,if buyer and seller are happy what`s the problem.A few years back at he Nationals I had a very good bootlid that I did not need ,I put it for sale next to my car at a very reasonable price and a chap had a look and said it was just what he wanted and bought it.Half an hour later it was on one of the stalls at twice the price !! never again. :evil:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Oh dear -that was definitely taking the ----- with your bootlid.
ImageImage
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Whatever happened to Mog69?

Prob run out of 1089 spares.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

He may have been reborn. :D

samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

we all like a bargain...but it seems some people on here try it on!!!! trying to sell things for more than you can
get them new from the usual dealers.
i thought this site was for fellow morris minor fans...i have given away many parts and had many given to me.
some i just paid the postage.
so roy, you know what you wanted and buyer was happy at your very fair price. :wink:
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

As it happens I was clearing my garage today and came across a set of proper Mercedes E Class mats in as new condition which I'd forgotten about. That car went in the recession, so thought about putting them on eBay, where they might have fetched £10 to £20. Half an hour later noticed an E Class turning round at the end of our quiet cul-de-sac, so went and flagged him down and asked if he would like them. He did, and when he wandered down the drive to collect them he noticed my work in progress Traveller and turned out to be restoring a Healey 100. So - he's happy, I'm clear of my clutter without the hassle of selling and he's promised to put a fiver in Parkinsons UK which I support. In a way this follows on from Roy's generosity when he gave me a windscreen a couple of weeks ago - oops, I'll get him in trouble with our more commercial members.... :D
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Sometimes you get a bargain other times you have to pay over the odds, If both parties are happy and it helps people out then all the better, Roys prices always seem fair and the items he gives away some people would charge so its nice to be nice.

amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

As far as I am aware this web site/forum was set up with one of the aims being to aid fellow Morris Minor owners. To my mind that does not include charging maximum prices for parts that are reasonably common. However I am aware some people need to get as much money for their spare parts as they can and they have a right to do this but I think if this is the case it would be better sold on a web site more suited such as Ebay. Don't forget that if you feel the price is too high then you don't have to buy and I don't (and no, I have not put anything for sale on here but I have given).

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I've advertised stuff here for free AND included a ten pound note! :D

moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

I tried to give away the original blue seat covers from my car when I replaced with new.
One potential "buyer?" asked for photographs before he could commit, my description clearly not being accurate enough.
Maybe its me, I still have them.
As for the steering wheel yes, I gave someone on here a free Morris workshop manual as I had two, I think its better that these unwanted parts find a useful home, durable motoring necessitates a charitable philosophy.
Where angels fear to tread
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

" I think its better that these unwanted parts find a useful home, durable motoring necessitates a charitable philosophy"
My sentiments exactly :D . If you want profit use a web site more suited.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If I have been given something i.e. parts and they have become surplus to my requirements I am more than happy to pass those parts on to another Minor owner free and gratis.
As regards the sale of parts that I have purchased and which have become surplus to my requirements - whilst I do not search for a profit I do not expect to be out of pocket.
Charitable philosophy is all well and good but unfortunately classic motoring does come at a cost!
Phil

ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

An economist would say it's all a question of supply and demand. Some parts, like wide van wheels, are keenly sought. Others aren't,( how many prop shafts have you got?). On the supply side if you need to clear that shed quickly you will probably be giving stuff away. On the other hand people holding out for a high price may be needy or greedy, who is to judge?

Free prop shaft anybody?
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

bmcecosse wrote:cf this thread where I sold a steering wheel - am I right enough in my thinking? Or does the 'panel' disagree??
what happened to the link :-?
leafie

Post by leafie »

samuria wrote:
bmcecosse wrote:cf this thread where I sold a steering wheel - am I right enough in my thinking? Or does the 'panel' disagree??
what happened to the link :-?
Item sold, advertisement deleted with other sold/out of date avertisments as part of a clean up process of parts for sale.