Last Minor Ever......really ?? (Manchester)

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
busguy
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Last Minor Ever......really ?? (Manchester)

Post by busguy »

Just an update on the last minor saloon.

I have now received a heritage certificate from Gaydon listing all the details of the build of this car, which confirms that it is the last factory built minor saloon built on the Cowley production line. It confirms all numbers including chassis, body, engine, gearbox, diff and key numbers, plus the delivery date to the London distributor.
I must congratulate the Archivists at Gaydon on the rapid turnaround of the returned certificate too. I didn't expect it back quite so quickly.
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Well done acquiring and saving an important part of Minor history!
Don
mrbenn
Minor Fan

Post by mrbenn »

What a find! Well saved, will look forward to further reports 8)
The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by The Issigonis Kid »

I see from the latest issue of Minor Matters that this car is now in the safe hands of the MMOC and will be on display at the Classic Car Show !. Well done to all those involved and I'm so pleased I highlighted it, still can't believe I didn't even get a reply from MINI Oxford, obviously not that bothered about their factory heritage unless it's Mini related.

The Issigonis Kid - Richard Troup - Sheffield - 1961 Morris Minor Traveller ...... at last
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

We should all get busguy a big medal! He had the guts to buy it.
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

SteveClem wrote:We should all get busguy a big medal! He had the guts to buy it.
Don't be daft, Steve!
With the scant information in the advert, I just took a risk that came off. It is now in the best place, where hopefully the club can eventually get it roadworthy, and preserve it for the future.
The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan

Great to see this at the 2018 National Rally - made my day - shame it wasn't parked next to NWL - so wish I'd bought it now.

The Issigonis Kid - Richard Troup - Sheffield - 1961 Morris Minor Traveller ...... at last
The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan

Great to see this at the 2018 National Rally - made my day - shame it wasn't parked next to NWL - so wish I'd bought it now.

BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

Great to see a happy ending to what originally looked like a possible scam.

Well done chaps!

(Maybe I should have been more trusting with that Nigerian prince)
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

An update on this thread, the best part of five years since it was started. The car was indeed verified as the very last Minor off the production line and in the past few days - on the 50th anniversary from the day it was built - the restored car visited its birthplace having been restored by the club - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72886 .
The car is an important piece of our club history and we are very much indebted to a significant number of people who helped make this happen including the original poster who alerted us to it, and no doubt the forthcoming article in the club magazine will reference those people properly.
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

Mike, the saving of this car couldn't have resulted in any better final solution than this. I agree with you, many members have been involved in getting this result, which was my original objective, and they all have done a brilliant job.

With all the uncertainty in the early days this could have gone pear shaped in so many ways. On 28/4/16 7.50am, I pledged in this discussion to bid for it, if nobody else did, as I knew the seller wanted to sell it through the posting on ebay.

Nobody else bid for it, so, now four years later, the car is in great condition, it's in its rightful resting place, and the MMOC owns the last Minor saloon off the production line. Well done to everyone involved. Objective achieved, and job well done!
Last edited by busguy on Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

busguy wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:41 pm and the MMOC owns the first and last Minor saloons off the production line.
Really?
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

..... and the MMOC owns the first and last Minor saloons off the production line.

Really?

Thanks. Amended

John