Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JWD
MMOC Member: No

New build after advice

Post by JWD »

Hi there,
My name is John, i live in New Zealand.
I have bought a morris minor ute that needs a complete over haul.
The plan is to build a complete new chassis with jag IRS, and tubular a arms up front. The motor and trans plan at the moment is to try a toyota 1uzfe v8. Its a great motor small, light, strong and cheap.
Its a bit of a longer term progect because of other comitments, but i really want to start designing the chassis. I design for a living using Inventor software so im rearing to go.
I'm after some advice so i can start.
After looking at many morrie photos on the net trying to figure out the wheel/tyre sizes and how low to set the car at, i have decided i really like the look of this set up (see pic below). I believe the owner is active on this site.
So can the owner or anyone help me with the wheel size, tyres and height this car sits at?
Dont stop there though, the more advice i can get the better. Pictures would be awesome also. Thanks in advance.
[frame]Image[/frame]
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: New build after advice

Post by les »

To my mind something doesn't look right concerning the height, the relationship between the wheels and wheel arches don't complement each other, not sure of your view but usually that is an important design issue, each to their own of course but to my eye could be more pleasing with tyre circumference parallel to the wing opening. Hope you think so too, for your future project !! :D

ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

The car in the picture looks great but I think it is a sprint car or dragster. Those big wide front wheels don't have much space for steering so I guess it mostly goes in straight lines. Whether you design yours like this will depend on your intended use. Is it just for show or do you want sporty road Holding?

Are you planning to use it legally on the road? In the uk a homemade chassis would lead to a vast amount of bureaucratic grief.
MrIan
Minor Fan

Post by MrIan »

That car has bee sectioned !!!! (ie a section of body removed all round) hence the strange image looking lowered but with overly large looking windows !!
It will obviously have a full seperate chassis and looks tubbed at the rear for the fat wheels under non flared arches.
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

I am sure that is Plastic Orange`s car (Pete) He is a moderator on the other Morris Minor site http://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk/
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Very strange comments guys. Car isn't sectioned at all, just channeled. Front and rear axles are narrowed and it has full steering capabilities. I've changed front wheels recently from the 3 1/2 x15's to 5 1/2 x 15's (same type) and rears are 10 x15's with 12 x 26 x15's. Axle lines front and rear have been moved slightly to be in the centre of the wheel arch as opposed to a Minors rather strange rear axle positioning.
Car has done at least 10,000 miles since this picture and drives great. 12.2 @116 mph so far and over 30 mpg. It also goes over speedhumps easily without grounding and is smoother and quieter than a standard minor. Have a look at it at this years Nationals - I'll even take anyone for a ride if they don't believe me.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Nice car, apologies for doubting its road ability. I'd love to take you up on the ride offer but sadly I'm at the other end of the country.
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

pete was kind enough to take me for a spin in his car at last years National and it is either :D or :o but probably both at the same time
MrIan
Minor Fan

Post by MrIan »

plastic_orange wrote:Very strange comments guys. Car isn't sectioned at all, just channeled.

Pete
Yes I was thinking it might not be sectioned after i'd posted !!!!!!!!
Looks like the rear arches have been modded? and maybe that coupled with the lowlight wings ? threw me a bit !! :D
Fantastic looking motor !!
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Front wings have been modded slightly to match the profile of original high cut rear wings. Only mod to rear wings is unseen - flanges removed to allow more clearance for rear wheels.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]