Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Poor quality brake shoes?

Post by ManyMinors »

Funnily enough, I had to call into our local garage yesterday where the proprietor was replacing the rear shoes on a Renault Clio for exactly the same reason. He said he comes across this quite regularly. I haven't personally experienced it on our cars either elderly or modern but, as amgrave's experience above, it also happened on a trailer we have at work.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that it is OK for this to happen. Simply that it does. We probably should inspect our brakes a little more frequently?

Sorry to the OP that he feels other owners experiences are condescending. I'm sure that is nobody's intention. The car parts market in general does seem to be rather awash with cheap, poor quality parts. Presumably because there is a market for them?
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Well there's nothing you can do about people's perceptions.

I had to order brake shoes and a master cylinder a couple of days ago so phoned one of the main suppliers and was told they had 2 makes in stock. I asked for the best quality ones and was supplied mintex shoes and a lockheed cylinder. As they were sent directly to my mot garage I have no idea what box they came in so was relieved to hear from 2 people in this thread that the mintex shoes are good. Hence my post. I don't personally see how that is 'smug' but you're entitled to your opinion, as is everyone else who has posted a comment here.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Thanks for bringing the subject to our attention.
Last edited by amgrave on Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

allways fit branded brake parts not worth the risk modern or classic car
[sig]5641[/sig]
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

Seen this happen a few times over the last few years, not just on Minors, though theres been a few. I'd guess its an age thing mainly. Last one I encountered was a 1946 Railton, fortunately it was when I was backing it into the workshop when a front lining came off, went round and jammed under the other shoe and locked the wheel up solid. Had to jack it up and put it on a dolly to move it inside... Plenty of companies around who will reline brake shoes too, but couldn't find anyone who would rivet them - high labour costs I expect the reason all new ones seem to be bonded...
Maybe brake shoes should be date marked like tyres are. (The Railton shoes were last relined in the mid 80s when it was last restored).
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

'Mintex' is a good name from the past that seems to have survived well - unlike Ferodo which sadly seems to have disappeared. Of course some famous names like Lucas live on - but bear no relationship to the original manufacturer which in any case was sometimes know as 'The Prince of Darkness' ..... No idea where Mintex shoes are made now - but they do seem to be THE ones to go for. I was extremely lucky to be able to get 2 sets rear 9" shoes for my TR7 very inexpensively, (both less than £10 per set against £59 asking price for Wolseley shoes...) one set nicely riveted, and these were easily slightly modified (just a shave off each side where the lining slightly overhung the steel shoe and the notch filed for the adjuster to lock into) to fit the 9" Wolseley front brakes on my Traveller at the time. And they work very well indeed - much better than the original shoes I removed which stopped the car well, but tended to pull to one side or the other for some strange reason. I also had a set of new riveted rear 7" shoes in stock - and fitted them at the same time. Don't know the make now - I had them for ages and would not have paid more than £5/7 for them at a jumble, and they certainly much improved the handbrake. Riveted shoes for me every time if you can find them!
ImageImage
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

Another problem with the bonded shoes I've had is they have a very uneven surface with high and low areas. This must affect the brake performance as I've never managed to get them fully bedded in with an even flat surface. If I hadn't found some NOS riveted ones I would have had some re-lined and riveted. I think there were a couple of places in Norwich Dryad that did this.
faversham999
Minor Fan

Post by faversham999 »

Just fitted mintex car stops now I am now looking for old stock shoes with rivets

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

faversham999 wrote:Just fitted mintex car stops now I am now looking for old stock shoes with rivets
I'm probably stating the obvious here, but bear in mind that if you find and fit NOS shoes, you'll likely be dealing with asbestos dust the next time you are working on the brakes.
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Good point, be warned :o

GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

bmcecosse wrote:'Mintex' is a good name from the past that seems to have survived well - unlike Ferodo which sadly seems to have disappeared. Of course some famous names like Lucas live on - but bear no relationship to the original manufacturer which in any case was sometimes know as 'The Prince of Darkness' ..... No idea where Mintex shoes are made now - but they do seem to be THE ones to go for. I was extremely lucky to be able to get 2 sets rear 9" shoes for my TR7 very inexpensively, (both less than £10 per set against £59 asking price for Wolseley shoes...) one set nicely riveted, and these were easily slightly modified (just a shave off each side where the lining slightly overhung the steel shoe and the notch filed for the adjuster to lock into) to fit the 9" Wolseley front brakes on my Traveller at the time. And they work very well indeed - much better than the original shoes I removed which stopped the car well, but tended to pull to one side or the other for some strange reason. I also had a set of new riveted rear 7" shoes in stock - and fitted them at the same time. Don't know the make now - I had them for ages and would not have paid more than £5/7 for them at a jumble, and they certainly much improved the handbrake. Riveted shoes for me every time if you can find them!
Ferodo is alive and well, I've used Ferodos in my moderns and haven't had any trouble.

In the Morris the Mintex have worked well even in very mountainous roads.
Gabriel
orb596
Minor Fan

Post by orb596 »

liammonty wrote:
faversham999 wrote:Just fitted mintex car stops now I am now looking for old stock shoes with rivets
I'm probably stating the obvious here, but bear in mind that if you find and fit NOS shoes, you'll likely be dealing with asbestos dust the next time you are working on the brakes.
You really are talking an extremely minimal risk! I personally prefer to fit NOS, rivetted, asbestos shoes. I find that the car stops much better on them. There's a complete set going onto my Morris 8 tomorrow! Managed to pick up NOS linings at the Beaulieu Autojumble last month and have put them onto some old brake shoes ourselves.
Laurie Blewer
MMOC member since 1986
Dorset Branch Secretary for ever!!!!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I agree - the asbestos shoes work SO much better. Just take a bit of sensible care with the dust when you take the drums off. I'm not actually sure it is legal to sell such shoes now (even at a jumble etc) but if you have them - use them! Glad to hear Ferodo lives on - but they don't seem to be available for Minor sizes - probably where I got the idea they had disappeared.
ImageImage
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

bmcecosse wrote:I agree - the asbestos shoes work SO much better. Just take a bit of sensible care with the dust when you take the drums off. I'm not actually sure it is legal to sell such shoes now (even at a jumble etc) but if you have them - use them! Glad to hear Ferodo lives on - but they don't seem to be available for Minor sizes - probably where I got the idea they had disappeared.
Absolutely right - while it's legal to use them, it's been illegal to sell them for some time.

To Laurie - I appreciate the risk is minimal, but I suspect those people suffering from asbestosis would consider it worthwhile mentioning the risk :wink:

It's just about being aware, as because asbestos hasn't been used for years, most people don't think twice about being exposed to brake dust now, so could get caught out with old brake shoes.
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

i know this is a old post. just had to change all my shoes on my series land rover...
all made by mintex.. they fell apart and the pegs came off after 3 weeks.
this has happened to lots of mates on the land rover forum with mintex brakes.
now have ferodo ones fitted. so mintex to me are crap :evil:
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Ahh, yes! Some prolific poster(s) would doubtless come back and claim that the braking was much improved during that three weeks, so I will preemt that response, They may also claim it was only a single batch - but failing brakes is a very serious safety issue. They might even tell you that you and your mates on the Landy forum are mistaken, or the shoes were incorrectly installed, etc, etc.

Frankly, quality has declined over the last few years - mainly, I am sure, due to cheaply acquired import rubbish. These particular failures seem to be the base shoe construction, not the friction material, but everything, about brake shoes, needs to be up to standard not down to a price.

Of course, Landy owners might be much harsher users than Moggy owners. In the olde tymes the shoes were exchanged for relining, not just dumped, so the quality of the steelwork was probably much longer lived. 'Made in the UK' does not necessarily mean the components are not imported. Perhaps we should recommend fitting Morris Minor brakes to Landrovers!

After being around the series Landy for over 50 years, this is the first time I have heard of regular brake failures such as this.
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

yes some have had to fix the spring peg BEFORE they even fit them :roll:
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Where asbestos brakes or clutch are fitted, a good precaution is to dampen the whole area with a fine mist water spray before gently hosing down. That way the dust will be kept to a minimum.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote:Where asbestos brakes or clutch are fitted, a good precaution is to dampen the whole area with a fine mist water spray before gently hosing down. That way the dust will be kept to a minimum.
Better still, dampen with water with a surfactant (e.g. water with washing up liquid in it).
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Exactly the same thing happened on the rear of my '53 plate focus (having just gone down a mountain pass). Having fitted new shoes less than 50 miles earlier.

I won't name the manufacturer, but they are highly regarded aftermarket suppliers. The shoes were replaced, and I was also given a pair of cylinders to replace the one that was killed when the lining came adrift!

It does happen, but its not that common. But as said tell the supplier although I doubt they will do anything about it after 5 years
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics