Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Olwyn, my new Moggie, 1955 four door:

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I've just had a great drive back from Newcastle today in Olwyn (which is a Welsh / Old English name meaning 'white footprints, Old friend').
It's lovely to be back behind the wheel of a Minor again, especially as it is the four door spit screen model that I've long coveted.
She has a (non original I believe) 948cc engine (950?? - which had a mechanical fuel pump originally - did Minors have these??) and drum front brakes, which worked surprisingly well and I thoroughly enjoyed the journey, even though it poured with rain south of Newcastle and the front windscreen leaked like a sieve - yes, you've guessed it the chrome insert is missing, hens teeth I believe....
Surprisingly the wipers did their job rather well.
Though the indicators don't, first on the list of things to fix then.................
...along with re-siting the oddly placed front ones......
As an aside, they are set up separate to the trafficators, which I'll try to get working again at some point, though looking at them I think they will be a case of replace rather than repair..........
There are other jobs to do as well, plus the engine bay is scruffy and the loom looks a bit tired.........
Best wishes,
Mike.

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Last edited by jagnut66 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
busguy
Minor Addict

Re: Olwyn, my new Moggie, 1955 four door:

Post by busguy »

Nice looking car!
Be worthwhile trying to find out the original identity of the car, as OSL *** reg numbers were a re-issue by DVLA for import, reg transfer replacements, or the identity of the car was not proven to them at the time of DVLA registration.

The SL series never even got to ASL before suffix registrations were introduced in 1964, all being SL ***** from Dec 1903 until June 1964. The last normal reg being SL 9602.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Post by bmcecosse »

Looks great - =well done. The mech fuel pump indicates an Austin engine, makes no odds unless it is a Low Comp ex van engine. . And no reason why the original brakes shouldn't work well - maybe they have been upgraded to 8" ?
ImageImage
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Thanks for the positive comments. I was expecting one about the front indicators, they will be moving......
The car has indeed come back from abroad, she was in Tasmania until 2000, although I can't confirm for how long.
I don't know about the front drum size yet BMC, as I'm just getting to know her.

The colour is listed as Almond Green on one of the bits of paper that came with the car and I'm inclined to think that is correct looking at her but I thought that colour came later than 1955?

As an aside I don't suppose anyone has a set of hens teeth....... sorry I mean the front screen chrome surround for one of these???
The rubber will need resealing, which I guess means replacement as it is a bit hard, so if I could get hold of a set that would be brilliant. :D
Best wishes,
Mike.
Last edited by jagnut66 on Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Adrian Pearse
Minor Friendly

Post by Adrian Pearse »

Hi Mike, Nice looking Series 2, Yes the colour is correct for your car. I'm one the Registrars for the Series 2 Saloon and Convertible Register it would be nice to get Olwyns details added to our register if possible. The register has a facebook page and a website if your interested www.series2.mmoc.org.uk
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Nice looking minor, welcome to the world of series 11s!! :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

]
jagnut66 wrote: The colour is listed as Almond Green on one of the bits of paper that came with the car and I'm inclined to think that is correct looking at her but I thought that colour came later than 1955?
Mike.[/b][/i]
Adrian Pearse wrote: Yes the colour is correct for your car. I'm one the Registrars for the Series 2 Saloon and Convertible Register
Surely Almond Green is specifically a Minor 1000 colour and not an original Series11 colour? I don't think it was introduced until about 1961?

I'm not being critical of your new car by the way - it looks GREAT!
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Superb looking car, very well done
]
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Olwyn looks great. Welcome (back?) to the S.II world! I know that East Sussex Minors stock front screen rubbers, centre pillar rubbers and central trim. Needless to say they make no mention of chrome insert. Product description comes with dire warnings about the need for 2 pairs of hands and infinite patience when fitting.. Interesting to see glove box lids. My '56 doesn't have them. Any idea if rhey're retro-fitted, or different spec for Australia?
1956 4-door called Max
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Thanks for the 'welcome back', I was indeed Minor-less for some months (indeed classic-less for a while - tried a modern but hated it - got a classic again as soon as finances allowed).
The glove box lids are unusual, they may be an Australian option but I couldn't say for sure.
I have to say I'm glad to have them over the open fronted option, they are far more practical.
Can any members from 'Down Under' advise??

The indicators are now completely rewired and working on a later Morris Minor indicator stalk (with horn attachment removed) / flasher can (sited directly behind).
I can't say where the indicator stalk that was fitted was from but it was completely U/S, so it is now in the bin.
[frame]Image[/frame]
However, and I don't know if this is because the car is still positive earth at present, although the indicators now work fine, the warning light on the stalk flashes just once when you first use it and then stays off, it does this each time the indicator is used.
Is this the positive earth arrangement (though I thought all Minors were positive earth originally) or just a dodgy flasher can?

As an aside the Trafficator switch does click (into position?) but then carries on round, so I assume it's knackered??.......
Many thanks,
Mike.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Looks like the original white trafficator switch is the '15 second delay' type. Switching it on winds it up rather like and old kitchen 'pinger' timer. It then unwinds itself for 15 secs after which it switches the trafficator off ... or that's the theory if I remember correctly.
1956 4-door called Max
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I saw some refurbished trafficators in the club spares, not cheap but then I want them to work, when funds allow I may go that route.
I didn't see any trafficator switches though, except an updated (transparent green illuminating handle) version for sale on Tom Roy's stand. The lady on there said I'd need to fit that (if I wanted to use my trafficators), as a replacement for my original for my car to pass an MOT........... I think not but decided not to offend her by correcting her.
I shall carry on looking....
Still looking for some 'hens teeth' too............... :lol:
Best wishes,
Mike.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

There is a way to convert the trafficator switch to act as only a switch rather than the time delay action it has, Stevey converted the one on his car during its restoration and Im fairly sure he put some photos on of how to do it.

Saw the car at the National, looking good - as did the dinner you were just about to tuck into when I was passing :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

ManyMinors wrote:]
jagnut66 wrote: The colour is listed as Almond Green on one of the bits of paper that came with the car and I'm inclined to think that is correct looking at her but I thought that colour came later than 1955?
Mike.[/b][/i]
Adrian Pearse wrote: Yes the colour is correct for your car. I'm one the Registrars for the Series 2 Saloon and Convertible Register
Surely Almond Green is specifically a Minor 1000 colour and not an original Series11 colour? I don't think it was introduced until about 1961?

I'm not being critical of your new car by the way - it looks GREAT!
You're quite right, it will be Empire Green rather than Almond Green, although it looks similar and many Series 2s have been resprayed the later Almond Green. Not a problem at all unless you're a complete originality fanatic. Incidentally, when Almond Green fades, it looks almost exactly like Empire so just a matter of time :)
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Saw the car at the National, looking good - as did the dinner you were just about to tuck into when I was passing
Olwyn says thanks for the compliment. :D
I do love my 'picnic' lunches at the national (plus I don't have to queue for them) along with a flask of tea (made in a pot from proper tea leaves, I might add!) to celebrate the discovery some bargain spares from the traders, most of whom will negotiate a reasonable price on the day for cash. :D
Those who stick to inflated prices simply don't get my custom.

You're quite right, it will be Empire Green rather than Almond Green, although it looks similar and many Series 2s have been resprayed the later Almond Green.

Noted. I've already bought a can of Almond Green though, so I will try it on a small area first to see if it is a reasonable match, if not I have some standard thinners I can wipe it off with and I shall get a can of Empire Green.

Best wishes,
Mike.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

As a post script, my car seems to have been resprayed in a non standard colour at some point, probably in Oz. It is neither the later Almond Green nor the original Empire Green, which is much darker, witnessed by some original paint under the peeling cream on my spare wheel.
I like Empire Green, so when finances permit I would like to put her back to this. Wheels and all.
Best wishes,
Mike.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Was Olwyn assembled in Oz? I believe they had their own range of colours down under. There is an Australian board user on here with a grey MM1000 (1958). His car is quoted as being Bramba Grey, which is an Austin (Oz) colour. The UK equivilant is Tweed Grey. Its a long shot but Olwyn might be Austin Spruce Green...?
1956 4-door called Max
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Possibly, when she was resprayed. But the original colour, still visible where the cream paint has chipped or peeled on the wheels is much darker. I have a friend at MADMOG, who has resprayed his car (really well), though he has sadly decided to sell it. But this is Empire Green and it is a match for my wheels original paint.
As to assembly, I'm not sure that she has the correct code for a car shipped as a knock down kit. Which is a puzzle as, as far as I can tell, she spent all her life down under, until she was shipped back here.
Best wishes,
Mike.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Paint identification can be a real brain-strain! Thought I'd have it easy with black... :D
1956 4-door called Max