Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

The search for royale blue

Post by MoggyBlue »

Hey guys
So I wondered if anyone has a royale blue traveller. I'm still debating between trafalgar and royale for my traveller but don't think I've ever seen a royale before :( was the paint unpopular for a reason, I love it. There's got to be a reason
Also any pictures especially trafalgar and royale together

Thanks
Jordan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968 Morris Minor - 2 door - Smoke Grey - De luxe - called Norma
-1970 Morris traveller - trafalgar blue - De luxe - called Ona
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: The search for royale blue

Post by ManyMinors »

I am familiar with the colour - or Blue Royale I think to be completely correct. It was used on other BMC models but I don't believe it was ever an option on the Minor? It is quite similar to Trafalgar Blue.
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by palacebear »

Agree with ManyMinors. Blue Royale was offered circa 1967-1970 but only seemed to appear on Riley Kestrel 1300, very late Austin A60 Cambridge saloon (both to '68) and very early Maxi, the Mk.3 Mini/Clubman and Austin 3-litre big landcrab (all to '70). Not listed as a Minor colour at all.
1956 4-door called Max
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Ray Newell's book lists Blue Royale as one of the rare colour options offered on travellers during 1969/70 (along with Faun Brown & cumulus grey). The interior colour is listed as galleon blue and it had a gold coachline. I've never seen any travellers in any of those colours though so maybe they were offered as options but then never actually used during production?

Eric - 1971 Traveller
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

As LouiseM says. They were a special colour for 1969 to June 1970 travellers. From what I can make out in pictures and very few past posts it's trafalgar blue but with more depth to the paint and shine and from pictures it looks gorgious. I was thinking of keeping my current light blue interior and maybe a white pinstripe to go with wheels and grill. I know non of it matches factory but hay I like the idea :)
Also on the potteries website they show the paint colours with trims.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968 Morris Minor - 2 door - Smoke Grey - De luxe - called Norma
-1970 Morris traveller - trafalgar blue - De luxe - called Ona
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

LouiseM wrote:Ray Newell's book lists Blue Royale as one of the rare colour options offered on travellers during 1969/70 (along with Faun Brown & cumulus grey). The interior colour is listed as galleon blue and it had a gold coachline. I've never seen any travellers in any of those colours though so maybe they were offered as options but then never actually used during production?
I think that section is simply an error. The book (for those who don't have it) states that colours available for Travellers in 1969/70 were:

Blue Royale with Galleon Blue trim
Faun Brown with Autumn Leaf trim
Cumulus Grey with Galleon Blue trim
Connaught Green with Autumn Leaf trim
Glacier White with Black trim
Bermuda Blue with Black trim
White (unspecified) with various trim colour options

Like you Louise, I have never seen any travellers of that age in ANY of those colour schemes. It is possible that they were INTENDED to be offered once production moved to Adderley Park around that time but never were offered in reality? The following year DID see the introduction of new traveller colours including Glacier White and Bermuda Blue but not with black trim as this had been replaced by Navy Blue.

Blue Royale is an attractive colour and would look very smart but I think it unlikely that it would have been offered alongside Trafalgar Blue on the same model when the two colours are so similar. To keep production costs down British Leyland offered only relatively small colour ranges for each model.
busguy
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by busguy »

There was also teal blue on 1970 travellers.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

busguy wrote:There was also teal blue on 1970 travellers.
As I said above........ "The following year DID see the introduction of new traveller colours including Glacier White and Bermuda Blue". For the record, the full list of colours introduced in 1970 was:

Glacier White
Bermuda Blue
Aqua
Limeflower
Bedouin
Teal Blue

The list in my previous post is for the 1969 model year. To confuse us, a "model year" in car terms, doesn't start in January :wink: