Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tootall
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Driver Seat Confusion

Post by Tootall »

Hi, I wonder if anyone can offer me some advice.
I have a 1962 2-door, which has been converted to rag-top. Originally, it had duo-tone upholstery but over the years this has largely come apart and the driver's seat has come un-welded, with the rear of the seat-frame coming away completely.
So I can continue to drive the old girl, I have just bought a set of seats from eBay.
Rear back and bench fit perfectly, as does the passenger seat. They're a later type but will suffice until I have the cash to recover my originals with duo-tone.
My problem is the driver's seat.
It simply doesn't fit.
The front of the seat frame is MUCH lower than the old one, which means the seat is tipping me forwards to such an extent that I am absolutely unable to drive it.
In addition, the seat is so wide that it fouls the handbrake cable.
Is it actually a Minor seat? It's a different pattern to the passenger seat, with a moulded underside, rather than Pirelli straps. However, the colour is a good match, now it's been cleaned.
Most importantly, how do I fit it, so I can drive my car? Or do I need to use my old passenger seat?[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Driver Seat Confusion

Post by ManyMinors »

The "drivers seat" you have bought is from an old Morris 1100 and fits to those cars in a different way. It is not suitable for a Minor without some modification. Purchasing a correct seat for your car would be the best option if you can find one.

Those seats from BMC 1100s can be fitted to Minis fairly easily and were a popular "upgrade" years ago when 1100s were in scrapyards in large numbers!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just fit the passenger seat on driver side - if you can't make the 1100 seat (much more comfortable) fit.
ImageImage
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

bmcecosse wrote:Just fit the passenger seat on driver side - if you can't make the 1100 seat (much more comfortable) fit.
That will only work if you don't mind not being able to adjust the seat backwards and forwards without unbolting it :wink:
Tootall
Minor Friendly

Post by Tootall »

Thanks for the answers, chaps...

I assumed it was some BMC product, because of the colour match... obviously meant to be fitted to a car with a cross-beam at the front, to raise the seat.

So, my seller misled me. However, as he's near Blackpool and I've already made one 300-mile trip, I'm not minded to return them.

Unfortunately, I can't move my seat mount brackets to the rearmost position, as the nearside set of rear holes disappeared when a new floor was welded into the car.

So now - as before - I need a driver's seat for my Minor.

Back to the hunt...
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
These need reupholstering but are cheap:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-Minor- ... SweWVXf-GT

Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Put a post in the Wanted section. Many people have spare seats they don't want lurking in lofts. :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512