Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Brian in Saudi
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Footman James issues

Post by Brian in Saudi »

Apparently Footman James can't insure me as I'm working in Saudi at the moment. (UK car, used only in UK.)

I will be back in September, so I guess insurance will have to wait.

Have called a few other brokers, but no joy so far. ("A Morris what?").

I can't understand why the owner being abroad and the car in professional dehumidified storage is an unacceptable risk, but being at home and thrashing it around the country lanes every day would be okay :)

Any suggestions? I'm sure I'm not the only MMOC member to work abroad.
The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan

Re: Footman James issues

Post by The Issigonis Kid »

If the car is in the UK, being stored in the UK, you only drive it in the UK and you have a UK address when you are in the UK, why have you mentioned Saudi.? Unless you are not a UK resident - in which case insure the car in a friends name with you as a named driver but you may have to change the V5 into their name too. So make sure it's a friend or family member you trust. There's always a way around the insurance industry's / DVLA's stupid rules but sometimes you have to be careful what you say as to not be fraudulent but often total honesty just ends up giving them an excuse to rip you off or make your life difficult, as you are now finding. Good luck.
Brian in Saudi
Minor Friendly

Post by Brian in Saudi »

I mentioned Saudi because I think it is always a good idea to be up front with insurance companies. Bending the truth may get you a policy, but in the event of a financially major claim (e.g. multiple deaths, god forbid) they have entire teams to comb through the fine details and see if there is a way to avoid or reduce the liability because the policy holder lied or withheld information. Fair enough. They have a responsibility to their shareholders to do so.

I've got it sorted out with another company who could not have been more helpful, but I was just amazed that the "official" insurer for MMOC could not insure a car because I travel abroad a lot. Seems weird. But if they don't want my business that's up to them.
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

FJ seem to be getting very picky lately and don't always know what they are talking about. Sorry if this upsets the rules but it needs to be said.

Budgie
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Budgie »

One of the many reasons I left them and went else where three years ago .
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Over the years I have asked FJ for quotes several times but they have never offered terms better than the renewal from the old insurer. Since they are described as having an 'exclusive scheme' with MMOC this poses the question of how exactly the members or the MMOC benefit from this arrangement. Does anyone know?
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

They have the same arrangement with a lot of clubs and I have never found them to be competitive with the quotes
RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

Been with FJ for years saved £96 by switching to RH this year, £157 down to £61!!!
Russell Harvey
Minor LCV Register Historian
Freelance Motoring Journalist
http://www.Minorlcvreg.co.uk

ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Since I asked two days ago there has been no explanation of the 'exclusive' arrangement between FJ and the MMOC.

Does anyone know how this has come about? Is anyone in MMOC responsible for it?

Do the MMOC great and good actually look at their own website?
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

I know nothing about any exclusive deal and don't use FJ either. Whatever you do don't hold your breath waiting for a reply on this subject :wink: :lol: :lol:

ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

It is well that I didnt hold my breath. The nature of MMOCs relationship with FJ remains a mystery. Perhaps I should try again with a question in the members area.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Good luck! I also left FJ (had 4 vehicles insured with them) as their prices went up progressively year-on-year despite no claims or change in circumstances, and they just aren't at all competitive for me. the answer that you will likely get is that you have to pay more because the level of their service is so much better than the competitors! :roll: One of the main reasons I left the club a couple of years ago after 15 years' membership is because I always perceived one of the important benefits to be competitive insurance, and I wasn't getting it with the club, and they weren't terribly interested in discussing it.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Interesting that insurance can be identified as a factor in the club losing members. I have posted a question in the members section so lets see if that gets a response. As a club collecting subs from members MMOC should be accountable and silence is not an adequate response to a proper concern.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

I don't know whether anyone else has done the same, but for me it was a key thing - insurance benefits are surely one of the main benefits of club membership, and unlike with some other cars, spares availability is so good, I've never really needed to use club spares. I can live without the magazine - although good, having submitted a few articles when I was younger, and not having even received an acknowledgement of receipt (this was prior to the young members group getting off the ground) I became a bit jaded with that too. I did mention these issues to people on the committee but never really got anywhere, so that kind of made up my mind.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Just to update this for those without member area access I asked for an explanation of the exclusive scheme. I had a response from the moderator pointing out that FJ will cover members of youth and age beyond the limits of other insurers and that this question has been discussed already in Minor Matters. I asked for issue details but had no reply.

This might seem like a quibble when classic car insurance isnt dear anyway but I dont like being offered something which purports to be special but isn't. I find it strange that the club establishment seems so remote from their own website.

Can anyone advise which month and year of Minor Matters covers this discussion?
Big Jim
Minor Fan

Post by Big Jim »

FJ charged me £25 standard fee for notifying them of change of address , since then I do not use them.