Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dr FH
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

1959 split screen??

Post by Dr FH »

Hi I wonder if anyone can help with this vehicle http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... _500wt_923
The listing has ended now but original listing can still be viewed.

Is all as it seems, the minor appears to be a series II but am I right in saying that the Vehicle Idenification plate number is series III. Can understand what seller is saying re possible late registration but chassis plate number should be series II in that case.
Thanks.
I have won the car on eBay but not yet paid or collected it.i have asked the seller to confirm if the chassis number stamped on vehicle matches vin plate number and as yet he has not replied.
TDV102
Minor Addict

Re: 1959 split screen??

Post by TDV102 »

I had a good look at this and it's a curious one. Lots of later stuff on it. I did wonder if it was a hybrid from two cars, which is why I didn't bid. However, at the price you paid, a bargain, especially if you are modding it.
Good home offered for custom splittie
XWL61
Minor Fan

Post by XWL61 »

There could be a number of reasons why the registration date is given as 1959 - import / export, log book error etc, however the chassis number will give a definite year. Nice Stewart and Ardern plate!
Andy
1955 Series 2 saloon XWL61
1957 Series 3 saloon
1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover
1953 Jowett Javelin PE Std.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Oh my word!!!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Personally, I would guess that it is a "ringer" created from combining an MOTable split screen car and a later ID in order to transfer/sell the original registration number of the 1959 car.

Possibly the original chassis number is still stamped into the bulkhead if you wish to search?

As others have said, it isn't expensive but it isn't what he says it is either - and although some disabled persons cars were built later with 803cc Series11 engines, I don't believe they were split screen cars.

Whether you complete the purchase is up to you but there is an element of risk involved.......
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

ManyMinors wrote:Personally, I would guess that it is a "ringer" created from combining an MOTable split screen car and a later ID in order to transfer/sell the original registration number of the 1959 car.

Possibly the original chassis number is still stamped into the bulkhead if you wish to search?

As others have said, it isn't expensive but it isn't what he says it is either - and although some disabled persons cars were built later with 803cc Series11 engines, I don't believe they were split screen cars.

Whether you complete the purchase is up to you but there is an element of risk involved.......
100% agree with the above.

Disabled cars were all 2drs?

If it has a 2 plate production body number it's a Duff, rules out re-shell - this is why it's such a bargain.

Remember, car won't be insured.
SGTBILKO
Minor Fan

Post by SGTBILKO »

Someone's telling fibs! Split screen up to 1961 indeed! He'll be saying it's a Minor Million that has been resprayed black next !
Dr FH
Minor Friendly

Post by Dr FH »

Hi , thanks all for your comments/advice,
I have asked the seller repeatedly to provide stamped chassis number but seller ingnoring the question??? I wonder why? Even if he decided to provide the number I know now from what you have all said there not a chance that it will match the VIN plate number shown on listing. Am I right that VIN plate number M/ AS3 679160 would be from a1959 series III. I am new to this and yes should have checked all this out before bidding but at least I have asked for help before handing over any cash.

Thanks again.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I think the chassis number you quote actually dates from late 1958 - and is indeed for a 948cc Minor 1000 with a single piece windscreen - but that ties in well enough with a registration date of January 1959 which the seller quotes.

I can see no other explanation except that the ID (Chassis plate, registration plates and V5) are from a different, later car. Probably a deed done long before the present ownership and probably in order to remove an original registration number as the current one is a replacement.
Dr FH
Minor Friendly

Post by Dr FH »

Many thanks for that, what you've said makes perfect sense and would explain everything.
I wonder though if it would ever be possible to obtain the correct documentation for the car and put things right based on the actual chassis number if one can be found?
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

Probably more difficult now that DVLA have closed all their local offices and you have to deal with Swansea. Worth trying though if you are a patient man.
Dr FH
Minor Friendly

Post by Dr FH »

Thanks for that if I can get a chassis number I might look into it, see how easy or difficult it would be to do!
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The fact that it doesn't have an MOT (I know a pre-1960 cars doesn't require one) and that it is equipped with the optional extra "concrete handbrake" as well as very old crossply tyres and who knows what condition underneath, It isn't a car I would agree to purchase without a decent look over it first.......

I have no idea how easy it would be to obtain the car's original identity but it might open up a can of worms....
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

ManyMinors wrote:The fact that it doesn't have an MOT (I know a pre-1960 cars doesn't require one) and that it is equipped with the optional extra "concrete handbrake" as well as very old crossply tyres and who knows what condition underneath, It isn't a car I would agree to purchase without a decent look over it first.......

I have no idea how easy it would be to obtain the car's original identity but it might open up a can of worms....
Getting original ID back fairly easy,probably a CRM victim - can be done though!
Dr FH
Minor Friendly

Post by Dr FH »

Went to look at the car and it's really not bad at all, underneath good, needs a nice paint job and chrome work, interior not too bad could not find anything untoward (ID aside) with actual car. Engine bay undersealed and VIN not visible.Rang DVLA who said shouldn't be a problem getting correct V5 when chassis number found. Wondering if it's worth taking a punt on this one?? I have had it confirmed from factory records the VIN plate on the car is for 1958 4door Morris 1000 green!
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Did you note the body ID numbers?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The only reason I can think of to 'underseal' the engine bay is to hide the chassis number. INSIST on it being scraped away so that you can check the stamped in number.It does sound like a 'ringer' car - someone's Pride and Joy stolen and hidden with the ID from a scrapper... Buyer beware.... :roll:
ImageImage
Dr FH
Minor Friendly

Post by Dr FH »

No, unfortunately numbers not visible was hoping to be able to see it but it was too well covered in underseal.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Which is why the underseal should be scraped away...... He obviously has something to hide if he won't allow the chassis number to be inspected. If the car is not 'as advertised' you are perfectly free to walk away from the ebay sale. I certainly would. It doesn't look great a buy anyway.....
ImageImage
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Dr FH wrote:Went to look at the car and it's really not bad at all, underneath good, needs a nice paint job and chrome work, interior not too bad could not find anything untoward (ID aside) with actual car. Engine bay undersealed and VIN not visible.Rang DVLA who said shouldn't be a problem getting correct V5 when chassis number found. Wondering if it's worth taking a punt on this one?? I have had it confirmed from factory records the VIN plate on the car is for 1958 4door Morris 1000 green!
I'm sorry, but a vehicle has to be fully investigated and its history traced before any decision can be made by DVLA - not a professional attitude by them - who knows, the chassis number MAY pop up as "stolen".

Likely a CRM, but as Roy points out, equally could be a "ringer".

Personally, I would report it to DVLA and leave it to them and the vendor to sort out - I have enough on my plate at the moment.