Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
New Bloke
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Key issues

Post by New Bloke »

I'm not being lazy, I have searched and searched but can't re-find the post about identifying key numbers... When I was on holiday I laid by the pool and found an article that said you have to remove the boot lock and there you will find your key number. Since being back I can't find that post. Anyway, I took off the boot lock and stamped on the square section metal bar was the number "936". I got onto a key website and searches 936 and the only match I could get was FS936 so I ordered a couple. Trouble is they don't fit!!!

Do I need to go in deeper? Can I find the number with a torch and mirror from the back of the ignition switch, or do I need to remove it and take out the barrel?

It works by taking my TR4 key, partially removing it and wiggling, but I would prefer a more viable long term option.

Thanks.

Tim
Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Key issues

Post by Gareth »

The number should be stamped on the barrel. If you take off the boot lock, and then punch out the barrel (answers on a postcard for how to do that, please, especially if you know how to remove the barrel of a High Security one as sold by ESM a while ago to swap back a standard barrel, 'cos I'd really like all Phyllis' locks to match again!) you'll find the key number on there.

Also works if you remove the doorhandle but, as I've found recently, dismantling the actual handle is a b*gger of a job requiring three pairs of very small hands.
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

New Bloke wrote:I'm not being lazy, I have searched and searched but can't re-find the post about identifying key numbers... When I was on holiday I laid by the pool and found an article that said you have to remove the boot lock and there you will find your key number. Since being back I can't find that post. Anyway, I took off the boot lock and stamped on the square section metal bar was the number "936". I got onto a key website and searches 936 and the only match I could get was FS936 so I ordered a couple. Trouble is they don't fit!!!

Do I need to go in deeper? Can I find the number with a torch and mirror from the back of the ignition switch, or do I need to remove it and take out the barrel?

It works by taking my TR4 key, partially removing it and wiggling, but I would prefer a more viable long term option.

Thanks.

Tim
What month(ish) and year is your Minor?

Key number quoted on HC, but mistakes sometimes.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ianmack »

The number denotes the cut of the key but you also need the right shape of key blank with the right longitudinal grooves. This is shown by the letters FS and so on. My late Minor has an FS key but my '54 has one FA and one FP. You need to remove a barrel to get the right letters and numbers.
New Bloke
Minor Friendly

Post by New Bloke »

Cheers Gareth,
"Punching out the barrel" seems a bit violent, I only want the key number :-)

Kidding, thanks, gonna you tube to see how to do that.

Tim
New Bloke
Minor Friendly

Post by New Bloke »

I believe it is Jan 1969. The logbook shows 01/01/1969 as the date of first registration.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I sounds as if FS936 should be the right key. If you have one of that number and it still doesn't work then it is probably easiest to simply purchase a new locking handle - or, if you want a bit more work, a set of barrels and refit the whole set. Before you do that it might be worth a few squirts of penetrating oil into the lock just in case it is all just stuck up with a bit of rust and dirt?
The rear locking handles do wear/go wrong and I have had to replace mine. It wasn't very expensive :wink:
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

New Bloke wrote:I believe it is Jan 1969. The logbook shows 01/01/1969 as the date of first registration.
Gulp!!

FS 9** series used from the change to key start, narrows it down to....no help whatsoever...did WB/Union keys commence at 001?

Two basic shapes; the "square" and "rectangle" headed ones....whether this made a difference(?)
Last edited by POMMReg on Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

Unlikely any of the barrels are the same after nearly 50 years. Ideal is to buy a new set of matching barrels (about £30 ish?) and fit them all - one key then does all! I have 4 different keys for Bertie and I'm always fiddling for the right one...

Bertie.
New Bloke
Minor Friendly

Post by New Bloke »

An Update:
I took the switch and boot lock to a local lock smith who found out the keys I bought online were the right number but had been made badly and the shoulder of the key was too prominent, he ground back the shoulder to allow the key to fit completely into the lock and it all works.

Once again thanks to total strangers for the help offered on this site.

Cheers

Tim