Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
carlosramalho
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

What tyres for SMM 1949

Post by carlosramalho »

Dear Friends,

I have received the following questions here in Portugal, because as I don't know what to say, I would like to have your help to get the best ansewrs to the questions .
Thanks in advance
Cheers
Carlos

-----
I have a Morris Minor (1949) and I refer you this email in order to obtain, if I can help the following information:

There are 500 tyres 20/05 R14 diagonal tubless, which can be applied to the factory wheels?
The tyre 500 R14 5:20 diagonal has radial tire for equivalence? What?
You can apply the radial tire origin wheels tubeless or it is safer to include the chamber of air (the radial tire does not damage the chamber air?)?

----- End retweeted message -----
MM Lowlight 1949 - Portuguese Registration
Traveller 1964 - formerly AKR 343 B
Convertible1969 - formerly XCH 455 G
Pickup 1971 - formerly BTT 213 K
MMOC 66138
MORRIS MINOR is Forever also in Portugal
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Re: What tyres for SMM 1949

Post by John Naylor »

<<There are 500 tyres 20/05 R14 diagonal tubless, which can be applied to the factory wheels>>
Don't understand designation here, 500 14 is cross ply with width in inches. (the R = radial and should be in mm)
Diagonal here I think refers to cross ply as opposed to radial. No idea what 20/05 refers to?
If the question is can 5.00 14 tubeless be fitted to standard factory rims then yes, assuming early rims were air tight.

<<The tyre 500 R14 5:20 diagonal has radial tire for equivalence? What?>>
5.00 14 and 5.20 14 cross ply nearest equivalent available is 145 R14 which is the theoretical max for standard 3" rims (though many exceed this!).

<<You can apply the radial tire origin wheels tubeless or it is safer to include the chamber of air (the radial tire does not damage the chamber air?)?>>
The pattern on the inside of tubeless tyres is made to assist in the curing of the tyre and varies between manufacturers. Some are aggressive and risk damaging tubes. Tubeless tyres are safer without tubes as with a puncture at speed the tube valve stem risks coming out of the hole in the rim and gives rapid deflation as opposed to a slower and more controlled deflation. Most of us use radial tubeless tyres on standard rims and they were fitted as an option from the factory.

Hope this helps.

Bertie.
carlosramalho
Minor Addict

Re: What tyres for SMM 1949

Post by carlosramalho »

Thanks! John.
MM Lowlight 1949 - Portuguese Registration
Traveller 1964 - formerly AKR 343 B
Convertible1969 - formerly XCH 455 G
Pickup 1971 - formerly BTT 213 K