Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: MMOC National Rally 2017

Post by les »

Have you considered a career in diplomacy Cam ?

faversham999
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by faversham999 »

Many next year we could have it in the north Newcastle would be good

amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

and only 80 miles from the Scottish border :lol:

badobsession
Minor Fan

Post by badobsession »

How about the club doing a
Northern region national
They can well afford to put on 2 national rally's
Some place in the borders !!!!!!
How About It !!!

All this talk of moving it around is a great idea but only works if you are prepared to
Move it equally and so far it has always been in the south of the U.K.
If you take haragate as center of the U.K.
Look back at the last 40 national and see the results
Then tell us it's a national!!!

SCOTTISH BRANCH CHAIRMAN .
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

To be fair, no location is ever going to satisfy everyone. There are some aspects of the club that I don't agree with, but I think they do try to move the national around to suit everyone - it's not only down to the geography - you also have to take into account where the majority of members live :wink:
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

[quote="badobsession" so far it has always been in the south of the U.K. [/quote]

I for one remember going to at least one National Rally in Yorkshire.

They've certainly not always been "in the South".
Another point is.........Who is prepared to organize these events? If the only people in the club prepared to organize such an event live in the West Midlands, then that is where the most events will be because that is the area best known to the organizers.

As has been said already, no location will suit everybody. You need a good location with plenty of space and facilities, close enough to a large group of members who will attend AND help set it all up as well as traders and hirers of equipment etc etc.
Adrian Pearse
Minor Friendly

Post by Adrian Pearse »

Cam. info already supplied to the National Rally Committee for South Wales.
badobsession
Minor Fan

Post by badobsession »

We'll see just how many go this year

Can I just tell you a wee story from my experience running a branch rally
We at the Scottish branch run a rally every year and we move it around Scotland
Some years ago we got asked to run it over on the east as we had a lot of members in the Edinburgh area
So we did and guess what we got no more members from the east attending the rally in the east than we did if it was in the west .
Moral of the story is just because the majority live in a place doses not mean they will always attend.
I hope they get a good turn out from the members in the far south
We will be watching
Can we put in a recommendation to bring it to the borders next year :wink:

badobsession
Minor Fan

Post by badobsession »

ManyMinors wrote:[quote="badobsession" so far it has always been in the south of the U.K.
I for one remember going to at least one National Rally in Yorkshire.[/quote]

How many nations have you attended ???
And I think Yorkshire is in the south !!!

woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Post by woodiesenfrance »

It ain't easy to find a venue for the size of event the MMOC needs at a reasonable price. Members also want it to move around the country to be easily acessible for everyone in turn over the years.
To my memory it's never been to the South-East before.
It's often been around the Midlands because ... geddit ??? MIDlands ie in the MIDDLE.
As a former National Rally organising cttee member, where I did everything from Concours judging to cleaning the loos (!) I say you should all say a big THANKS to everyone who helps run this brill annual event, and IF you want it held up your way then find a venue, find lots of willing helpers and put forward a proposition to the Ntional Committee.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Don't know about south east but it's been south once---- New Forest area, lovely surroundings. Nice to see a south national for the second time. :D

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

From what I recall it's been just South of Salisbury and over at Sparkford, both of which are relatively Southern. It's also been to Yorkshire quite a few times, and to the Midlands an awful lot. Some people will travel to it no matter how far away, some will never go, no matter how close it is. For the rest, they'll go if it's a reasonable distance AND somewhere interesting - not everyone wants to spend the entire day on the field. This discussion copmes up every year. If anyone has an idea for a venue then contact Andrew Stone with details. Consider the space available for 500 - 1,000 cars, traders, arena, marquee, toilets, camping, etc. Camping needs water points. The site should be well drained, preferably allow our own catering and bar, available when we want it and a reasonable cost. As i wrote, send suggestions to Andrew.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

badobsession wrote:
ManyMinors wrote:[quote="badobsession" so far it has always been in the south of the U.K.
I for one remember going to at least one National Rally in Yorkshire.
How many nations have you attended ???
And I think Yorkshire is in the south !!![/quote]

Since you ask, I've attended most National Rallies since the 1980 event at Donnington Park so I've been to relatively Northern venues such as Harewood House (a few times) and Normanby Hall Lincs, as far East as Sandringham. West to Weston Park and South to Breamore House and the Haynes Museum at Sparkford. I didn't go to Scampston Hall in 2015 because it was further than I now feel like driving a car almost 60years old for a day out - and I don't wish to camp. This year we didn't make it because of a diary clash.

The fact that North Yorkshire is a long drive "North" for me and a good way "South" for you simply highlights the difficulties the organisers face when choosing a venue! It is impossible to please everybody. As you have already mentioned however, at least there already IS a Scottish MMOC event each year :)
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

I can remember going to a Northern Regional Rally that was like a mini National (Somewhere up the A1 in the late 90s) which was a big well organised do and a great day out , not sure why the format didn't catch on.
The impression I've had of Nationals over the years is that the further to the extremes of the country they are the less the support, which is only to be expected I suppose. I expect Harewood is probably as far north as the club wish to go for the main event. Hope the southern one next year gets the support it deserves.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

les wrote:I suggest it's held in Scotland next year, be interesting to see how many turn up.
count me in for this one :D
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I appreciate it's a difficult thing to arrange and look forward to the long adventurous drive down from Fife. Good to get early notice to book a B&B as I don't see myself wanting to put up a tent after a 505 mile drive. :o
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

Well my first national was Breamor in 2005 and we haven't missed one since. So we'll be flying to Gatwick from Belfast :D

badobsession
Minor Fan

Post by badobsession »

see thats the thing i enjoy the drive so flying and going without my car
won't be the same >

the year it was at SPARKFORD that was a good rally and a long way down for us that year .

think a nothern rally should be organised ...........

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

think a nothern rally should be organised ...........
I'd happily attend a national in Scotland but I suspect that the reason why others won't go along with this has been revealed in that everyone on the south coast thinks the midlands are the far north!! :lol:

Back when these cars were current of course they would undertake such journeys and people didn't think twice about it but with the advent of the high spec / high comfort cars people expect to run today people have become soft and view those that drive a classic every day as some sort of masochist or just plain insane...............

Me, I've always been mad............. :wink:
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I'm sure my old cars are capable of taking us pretty much anywhere. Driver deterioration is the problem.