Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Left wondering!

Post by les »

I wonder how much an excellent traveller is worth these days, there is a nice one for sale on this board. Unfortunately no price in the ad, btw I thought we were obliged to include this! It just asked to phone for the bottom line. I suppose that in itself speaks volumes. I dare not call in case I'm classed as a time waster. :D

Sparticus
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Left wondering!

Post by Sparticus »

If you are genuinely interested, with proper money to spend on such a car, then you wouldn't be a time waster?

However if you're just phoning because you are curious how much a lovely looking traveller is worth then you would be?
Surely this topic is pretty pointless? I only say this as someone that wants a traveller, in whatever state, will pay however much they think it's worth?

The one you mention probably is a 6/7k+ car, why should that be so shocking?
Grant, 23, Morris Minor traveller - Saloon. Merlin traveller 90% finished!
DSN Classics

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

I've seen this lovely car. I would think £7 is on the low side this this one. It's in fantastic condition.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Sparticus
Minor Fan

Post by Sparticus »

Hence my 6/7K+ 8)
DSN Classics

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I AM only curious, so I'm sure some would class me as a time waster, that's why I didn't bother the seller. However this 'pointless' topic wouldn't be here if a price was included. As for a value of 6/7k+ who said that was so shocking? What I do maintain though is by not printing a price it tends to make most people think it would be off putting. Why else would you not add a price?

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Wrong chassis plate, if unable to replicate 100%, don't replace it!

VERY difficult to find correct sized stamps, you need 2 sets for Adderley Park Traveller's!!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Sparticus
Minor Fan

Post by Sparticus »

In my opinion I think if someone wanted the car then they would enquire even without a listed price. If you want a traveller in that condition then you know you'll be paying good money.

The 6/7k + was subject to a 2 second ebay search... don't take that as a valuation aha :lol:
DSN Classics

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

POMMReg wrote:Wrong chassis plate, if unable to replicate 100%, don't replace it!

VERY difficult to find correct sized stamps, you need 2 sets for Adderley Park Traveller's!!
I intend to replace the plate on my AP Trav (Chris, you've got the details). I still have the original, which has no paint or printing, presumably a result of media blasting in the past. I'd recognised the need for 2 stamp sizes, and might even be able to replicate the random stamping style. On my small screen, though, I can't see what else is wrong with the chassis plate they've used. Anyone care to enlighten me before I commit a serious error?

Mark
Last edited by Mark Wilson on Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leafie

Post by leafie »

les wrote:I Unfortunately no price in the ad, btw I thought we were obliged to include this! It just asked to phone for the bottom line. I suppose that in itself speaks volumes. I dare not call in case I'm classed as a time waster. :D
There is no requirement to include a price, it is only advised, however it is the sellers decision.

Can everybody please remember not to make comments on individual advertisements. :D
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

If I'm not mistaken one of your colleagues (mod) had, in the past, asked for pricing in posts after numerous posts suggesting this be the case. It seems like the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing! What is your objection with pricing in posts, more specifically why isn't it mandatory? What are the objections to this? Hopefully you will provide specific answers to these clear questions. I am a club member and a long time forum user and provided I'm not abusive, feel free to comment on anything that I have a view on!

sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

if a seller dosen't bother to put a price in their ad.,i don't bother to ring up.plenty more out there!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well said Sid, straight to the point. :D No price, very suspicious!

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Seriously?!!! Is it worth worrying about? :lol:. As far as I'm aware, the only people who have ever (wrongly) insisted that people have to put a price are other members of the forum. Granted it seems a sensible thing to do, but does it really upset people so much if someone posts an ad without one?
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

It's not a case of upsetting people (ie me) its more a case of wishing people were more helpful, it's blindingly obvious why price is omitted but why should a potential buyer, or anyone else, for that matter, have to pick up the phone to ask? No, it's not worth worrying about, worth saying what you think though!

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

les wrote:It's not a case of upsetting people (ie me) its more a case of wishing people were more helpful, it's blindingly obvious why price is omitted but why should a potential buyer, or anyone else, for that matter, have to pick up the phone to ask? No, it's not worth worrying about, worth saying what you think though!
At least put a "Ball Park" figure!!

Can't see the point in advertising it without a price, might have 60 potential customers with 7k in their back pocket, if not selling below £8k....wasting people's time, Shirley?!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Been away and missed this interesting discussion. As a general observation I think it's not out of order to say 'I would like to sell this item,what would you give me for it?' As a potential buyer you then research and negotiate. If it's not kosher let the world know.
Ok, a price guide would be helpful but it's not hard to find the value of these cars.
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

Just to put my opinion forward. No matter what the item, no matter where it's being sold, i.e. shop internet, etc. If there's an item for sale that I'm interested in , if there's no price showing I won't ask the seller and just walk away. Surely it's easier to state a price , more people could be potentially interested ? :D
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Some don't find this subject interesting or necessary. Agreed it's not hard to find the value but that doesn't mean the seller wants that sum, in fact you can be pretty sure they want considerably more if no price appears. Regarding asking someone what they would give, is difficult not only because it is easy to offend with no starting point but the potential buyer is also being asked to be the seller as well!

Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

Couldn't have put it better myself :D
Andy W
Minor Fan

Post by Andy W »

Hmm, some very good points & quite an interesting debate actually. :)

I agree completely that a "larger value" item like a car should really have a price attached to the advert so that everyone knows where they stand & can decide whether to follow up. Everyone seems to have a different idea of what constitutes VGC/Restored/Daily Runner, etc. so a price would perhaps indicate where the seller places their car in the grand scheme of things.

Small stuff/parts, etc - here I must stand somewhat embarrassed! :oops: I have posted about a car I have dismantled but I did not post prices! The fact is that I didn't know what to do: A/research everything & then post or B/get the fact out there asap that I am breaking a car & carry on from there.
I chose option B!
Also, my lack of experience meant that I simply didn't know what to reasonably ask for the items straight away.
I wonder if, by not wanting to appear greedy or stupid &/or offend forum members, I have shot myself in the foot! :-?
Certainly some items have sold after communicating with interested parties but in the meantime I have been browsing around & come up with some prices to post up. It will be interesting to see if the rate of sales increases as a result......
"We're on the road to anywhere, with never a heartache & never a care!"

www.retronicsonline.com
Giving vintage a touch of the modern.