Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lellyden
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Reg plate A reg

Post by lellyden »

I have just got a new Morris minor,it's got a reg plate but the number plate that came of was 3 letters 3 numbers ,would it be possible to an age related plate Ie,with 3letters & 3 numbers .its a 1963
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Reg plate A reg

Post by ianmack »

Numbers with an a reg suffix letter are what is now issued as age related for 1963 vehicles. That was the first year they used year letters.
Big Jim
Minor Fan

Post by Big Jim »

Did "A" reg come out in August 1963 ?

midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

ianmack wrote:Numbers with an a reg suffix letter are what is now issued as age related for 1963 vehicles. That was the first year they used year letters.
Correct, but only from a part of that year. As a consequence they had a surplus of "A" numbers that they used for transfers later. I have a 1960 4 door which came to me on an "A" plate, which I requested to have an age related plate supplied, which they did for no cost. Only restriction is that this number is then "non transferable".
John
faversham999
Minor Fan

Post by faversham999 »

A 1963 came out 1st January not all areas used it at first, Kent was still using 2 letters 4 numbers in 1964 . E was 1st January until 31 July 1967 then F from August 1st 1967

ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Yes, the use of the year letter was partial in 1963. However I believe DVLA now issue A suffix numbers for all allocations for 1963 vehicles, presumably to save the six digit numbers for earlier cars. I say this based on experiences of an aquaintance who registered an imported 1963 motorcycle and received an A suffix.

I guess there's nothing to lose if you ask DVLA for a six digit number, let us know how you get on.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

I mean there's nothing to lose except for the frustrations of any kind of dealing with DVLA :D