Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Last Traveller

Post by Blaketon »

Reading the article on the last Cowley saloon made me wonder whether the last Traveller is still about and how many chassis numbers there are after mine (1293704) and how many are still about? My Traveller is a 1971 model, with a steering lock. I've been unable to get a heritage certificate, to see when mine was made, as Adderley Park records are no longer available.
LouiseM
MMOC Member: No

Re: Last Traveller

Post by LouiseM »

In Paul Skilleter's book the Adderley Park traveller chassis numbers are listed as from 1290813 (Nov '70) - 1294082 (April '71), which would make your traveller 378 away from the end of production. There was an article in Minor Matters a while back seeking the 'latest' Traveller. I can't find the issue at the moment but from memory I think one was found that was just a few cars away from the end.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Gilesv
Minor Friendly

Post by Gilesv »

POMMreg is working on the Adderley Park Travellers, he will almost certainly be interested in the chassis body , engine numbers etc and has been trying to establish change points- e.g. when the steering lock was intorduced and when the engine colour changed from green to black. I know someone who has number 50 from the end but there is a K reg Traveller which is about 6ish from the end. I think there's some previous discussion on the subject on here somewhere...
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

I haven't got Paul Skilleter's book, but Ray Newell lists the first Adderley Park Traveller as 1261201 (he agrees with 1294082 as the last). Mine is 1286055, so Louise (or Paul Skilleter) may have hit the wrong key with 1290813 as the starting ID!

Mark
Last edited by Mark Wilson on Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

I'll double check Paul Skilleter's figures when I get home later tonight.

Edit: Just checked and chassis numbers 1290813 - 1294082 apparently relate to just 1971 travellers. I know my traveller was built in March '71 (but not the exact date) as it came with a letter from Gaydon Archive (dated 1997) confirming this.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Mine was registered in July 71, but the chassis number suggests it was built around October 70. I didn't know that any information at all was available for Adderley Park Travellers, so I'll investigate. (The reason I want to know when mine was built is that I've painted it Maroon B, which I believe finished in June 70. So I think it's not a correct colour, but interested to know just how far out of time this was! Daft, I know....)

Mark
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

All of the Adderley Park factory records were destroyed in a fire so you won't be able to get the information you need regarding colours used. My traveller is ex-MOD (first registered in 1974) so I'm guessing that was the reason why Gaydon were asked to provide details of the build date. I think the provided build date of March was most probably a 'guesstimate' based on the known chassis numbers, hence there being no actual build date supplied.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Gilesv wrote: and when the engine colour changed from green to black.
According to Terry Horler's book on Midgets & Sprites, engines were painted black from August 1971. In the case of the 1275 engine, this was when the numbers went to starting with 12V. I don't know how BMC & Leyland went about building engines; were they built in batches of certain types and stored or were they built as required by the various factories, more or less to order. However it was done, I expect the change to black paint was applied to the whole range at much the same time.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Minor Traveller production ceased in April 1971, so the black engines must have pre-dated this, at least in 1098 form.

There are a number of Travellers which hung around unsold at dealerships hence the cars with a "K" registration suffix which is post August 1971. Also, it doesn't necessarily follow that build dates and registration dates are in order.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Made good progress with this, did find the body number change, just needed more examples to "fine tune" to arrive at the chassis number change.

From memory, (B)220001/(E)75001?

Estimated the last too, did the 10V/189E unit exceed 77000?

Details not forthcoming, therefore subject sidelined for now - gets a bit silly when 85% of my time is spent requesting info - ALL carry Z36054 bodyshell codes.

Don't believe enthusiasts are THAT interested anyway, faced with information contradicting long held and accepted facts, it rocks the boat!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

LouiseM wrote:In Paul Skilleter's book the Adderley Park traveller chassis numbers are listed as from 1290813 (Nov '70) - 1294082 (April '71), which would make your traveller 378 away from the end of production. There was an article in Minor Matters a while back seeking the 'latest' Traveller. I can't find the issue at the moment but from memory I think one was found that was just a few cars away from the end.
If 1290813 was November 1970, that's about 3000 off the end, so five months means about 600 a month. Assuming they missed out no numbers and an even rate of production, that would put mine pretty much at the end of play.

I had a feeling that they went from Abingdon, to Adderley Park, in 1964. I have a feeling the new Traveller book is going to be in my Christmas stocking.....so I expect I'll be sharing it with the cat over Christmas. At present I'm reading Graham Robson's The Cars of BMC and really enjoying it (On Riley at the moment).
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Abingdon (VIN prefix "MAW5/" stamped centrally, with "G" suffix)
Cowley (VIN prefix "M/AW5" stamped to the right - later with "M" suffix)
AddPk (VIN prefix "MAW5" - Cowley positioned numbers - early models with BMC "J"* suffix/later with BL "F" either BEFORE or AFTER the chassis number)

* Factory designation stamped at Cowley

Not seen any Abingdon built ones past '64.

LCVs a wee bit different, but easily detectable.
Last edited by POMMReg on Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Pomm - have you seen this one in the ex government section? Positive factory dating of November 70 for AP chassis number 1285884, no steering lock, green engine. The thread's a couple of years old but as it is in a relatively quiet backwater of the site you may not have picked it up.

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=56620
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Mine does have an F before the number.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Blaketon wrote:Mine does have an F before the number.
Had heard of this, but as not confirmed didn't add, Thanks Mr.B!!

I suppose whoever normally did the chassis stamping had a day off.?

Any chance of your Traveller's details please Mr.B - including key numbers?

Funny that BL knew the build month of the MoD Traveller in 1978, all told records destroyed in fire in 1972. I sense a conspiracy, and NO , it wasn't the Olympic that sank in 1912!!
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I'll have a good look on Wednesday (My day off).
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Updating the ID booklet.....

When was the "F" suffix first used on Traveller chassis plates? Was 270001/274001 & 290001 on LCVs....

1263023 recorded with a "J" suffix - allocated at Cowley as the letter is the same size as numbers, yet prefix is stamped with the larger "MAW5D" aka AddPk.

Confusing stuff indeed, not all clear cut is it?
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

POMMReg wrote:
Blaketon wrote:Mine does have an F before the number.
Had heard of this, but as not confirmed didn't add, Thanks Mr.B!!

I suppose whoever normally did the chassis stamping had a day off.?

Any chance of your Traveller's details please Mr.B - including key numbers?

Funny that BL knew the build month of the MoD Traveller in 1978, all told records destroyed in fire in 1972. I sense a conspiracy, and NO , it wasn't the Olympic that sank in 1912!!
In addition to the chassis no, I have the original engine no (Had a 1275 when I bought it, plus a gold seal 1098, which I sold) 10V189EH 76149. There is an old key with it but it's made in Germany, so not original. It bears a number 23531A. The door lock key is numbered FS892.

The teal blue car was sold new to a Mrs Fern, of Worsley in Manchester, on 23 August 1971 (Registered on 1 September) for a total of £947.26. My father bought a VW Type 3 Variant (Estate) at the same time for about £1100. Mrs Fern owned the car until August 1991, when a Mr Nutbrown's name appears on the invoices (It had some welding, paint, wood treatment, servo and new carpets). There aren't many invoice from him and then in 2001 they are for Mr Burrows, who sold it to me in 2003. He was a joiner and fitted new wood (Originally it was the plywood type of wood). It looks like I am the second longest owner and I aim to become the longest.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Thanks Mr.B.

Neiman numbers all over the shop; 35k on 400 lower than yours - very close to a postal van though - no Union locks on postal vans to compare.

Body number possibly early 2212xx?

Cheers
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I'll have a further look. Is the body number on the chassis number plate? If not, where do I look? I'd better post a picture or two of the car.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]