Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Milometer makes you smile

Post by woodiesenfrance »

We all love it, the time when the milometer has to roll over lots of digits and takes ages (and miles) to do so. Just a minor thing to make one smile.
Last week I was trundling up the autoroute towards Bordeaux when I spotted the milometer was at 48998, so shortly to do a mega roll to 49000. At a steady 70mph from my driving position the whole milometer was visible..... and it got stuck at 'nearly there'. For miles. And miles, to the end of the autoroute and round the jammed-up Bordeaux ring road. It actually didn't click over until the car had had an overnight rest and I turned the key again.
I measured the distance on the way home, the slow milometer rollover 'lost' the car 35 miles.
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Re: Milometer makes you smile

Post by moggiethouable »

49000, its just run in then, you can open it up now.
Where angels fear to tread
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Mileometers have made plenty of motor traders smile over the years :D
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Nickol »

Whilst it is never too much of a Problem that the speedometer measures mph as the main indicator, the fact that the odometer records only in miles done is a pain because it cannot easily be related to anything on the maps or road signs.

However :D :D - I have managed to get hold of a rare second Hand one which was made for the world market and once it is fitted, the snow has cleared, some blissful km measuring is on the Cards with no more guesswork. I do hope it works!! :o
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
Tea
Minor Fan

Post by Tea »

Excellent! :lol:
When ours turned to 50000 last year we noticed it hadn't quite managed to get all the way from 49999 to 50000 until about 10 miles later on the motorway. After a gentle tap on the glass it ticked to the 50000. It hasn't managed to get stuck on any of the next 6000 miles, so I'll wait for the 60000 mark and see how many extra miles we can do without it registering.
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

When mine clocked 200000 I parked up and took a picture! Wish I could find it.
Good home offered for custom splittie
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Nickol wrote:Whilst it is never too much of a Problem that the speedometer measures mph as the main indicator, the fact that the odometer records only in miles done is a pain because it cannot easily be related to anything on the maps or road signs.

However :D :D - I have managed to get hold of a rare second Hand one which was made for the world market and once it is fitted, the snow has cleared, some blissful km measuring is on the Cards with no more guesswork. I do hope it works!! :o
If not you might have more luck finding a kph Mini (classic kind) speedo
Johnny
Minor Friendly

Post by Johnny »

A number of years ago driving to Melton Mowbray she ticked over to 10,000 miles. Got the other half to take pics for prosperity. Quite a good trip, from London to Huddersfield, down to Bakewell in the Peak district and back to London via Melton Mowbray. Yes, I did have several Pork pies.
09999.JPG
09999.JPG (124.89 KiB) Viewed 2354 times
10000.JPG
10000.JPG (118.37 KiB) Viewed 2354 times
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

dp wrote:
Nickol wrote:Whilst it is never too much of a Problem that the speedometer measures mph as the main indicator, the fact that the odometer records only in miles done is a pain because it cannot easily be related to anything on the maps or road signs.

If not you might have more luck finding a kph Mini (classic kind) speedo
Am Feeling quite pleased with myself - which hopefully will last until my next '§$# up

The Speedometer I got hold of, showing the main scale in km/hr and the smaller inner circle in mph made for a Problem. The screw Fittings Holding it in place to the fascia were very different - it probably did come out of a mini. Not to worry, I simply took it apart and put all the workings into the old casing. On testing it however, the 100km/hr recorded reading I got while actually doing only about 60 was not so good.

According to the Anthony Rhodes article, you could recalibrate it by moving the pointer to 100km and while holding the spindle firmly, remove and then refix the pointer at the 60 mark. This seems however, a bit of a bodge.

So I elected to re-use and Substitute the original internal mechanism which worked fine before and would be more or less accurate. The Trouble is that the odometer would now be recording in miles not km. So it was necessary to remove the 32 teeth White plastic gear and replace it with the 20 teeth red one out of the "mini" unit. This is a bit fiddely but

.............it works!!!

My speedo now indicates km/hr and the odometer does as well, still showing the approx 35000 miles figure which will now advance by km..............happy days !!!
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

My speedo now indicates km/hr and the odometer does as well, still showing the approx 35000 miles figure which will now advance by km..............happy days !!!
Very clever. Well done!

Don
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

don58van wrote:
Very clever. Well done!

Don
Not me - Mr Anthony Rhodes' is the clever one through the article of his expereinces with MG Speedo.