Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
toulky
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Oil Pressure

Post by toulky »

Have recently fitted a oil pressure gauge to our 1965 Minor 1000. looking for advice on what pressure I should be looking for when running to gauge condition of engine. We took the car out today for a 30 mile run and observed I was getting 60 psi on the gauge at 50 mph it would drop down to about 40psi when stationary . :D

thanks

Mike
Monty-4
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Oil Pressure

Post by Monty-4 »

Perfect, nothing to worry about!
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

As above - good oil pressure especially when stationary with the engine idling.

amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Your lucky, mines at 60 PSI when cold then once warmed up the running pressure is 45 and drops to 15 at idle. I will have to investigate it in the summer :cry:

dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

perfect :D
[sig]5641[/sig]
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

Just the same as mine, also a 65 vintage.
Also, once I had fitted a new radiator and water pump I realised the temperature gauge I fitted at the same time became redundant.
Where angels fear to tread
toulky
Minor Friendly

Post by toulky »

moggiethouable wrote:Just the same as mine, also a 65 vintage.
Also, once I had fitted a new radiator and water pump I realised the temperature gauge I fitted at the same time became redundant.
I also fitted a temperature gauge however could also monitored any steam coming from the bonnet as an indication :lol:
:wink:
toulky
Minor Friendly

Post by toulky »

amgrave wrote:Your lucky, mines at 60 PSI when cold then once warmed up the running pressure is 45 and drops to 15 at idle. I will have to investigate it in the summer :cry:
At cold and start up I am getting 75psi but then do not know how accurate the gauge although the guy I bought from said he had tested it !
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Unless you compare it against a known gauge you will never know how accurate your gauge is.
Even if your gauge is not exactly accurate you have oil pressure and the comparisons/readings you have given indicate that there is not too much wrong with your gauge or engine.

toulky
Minor Friendly

Post by toulky »

philthehill wrote:Unless you compare it against a known gauge you will never know how accurate your gauge is.
Even if your gauge is not exactly accurate you have oil pressure and the comparisons/readings you have given indicate that there is not too much wrong with your gauge or engine.
Thanks everyone for the feedback sounds like we got a good engine. Had a oil leak which has been fixed so she is dry as a bone now :lol:
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

At cold and start up I am getting 75psi but then do not know how accurate the gauge although the guy I bought from said he had tested it ![/quote]
Your oil pressure relief valve, if working correctly, should limit your cold pressure to 60psi so maybe your gauge is way out.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Looking at the pressure readings given above the maximum that the oil pressure gauge can miss read is 15lb/in sq.
i.e. consider 60lb/in sq @ oil pressure relief valve and an indicated 75lb/in sq displayed (when cold) on the gauge gives a miss read of 15lb/on sq.
Everything is just a comparison and even subtracting 15lb/in sq from the displayed readings your idle oil pressure and running oil pressure readings are good and I consider that there is nothing to worry about.
Over time compare the readings and if the oil pressure drops well below what is shown now then is the time to worry.
Here is a good read and gives enlightenment as regards oil pressure and the 'A' Series.
http://www.calverst.com/technical-info/ ... oil-pumps/

Note the optimum oil pressures given.

smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

Good article, we used to assemble the bearings in the engine with ep140 wiped on the shells. High oil pressure can also cause erosion of the lead flashing when the oil is cold. Our Mirrlees K major engines were prone to this and some engineers used to run up the engines very slowly until the temperature had warmed up a bit. :)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Just a couple of bit of information regarding Mirrlees engines for those who may be interested.

http://www.enginemuseum.org/mrindex.html

https://medium.com/@Adsalesltd/mirrlees ... ff6a98f1dd

I would have the 13140hp model if only the Minor chassis legs would cope with the weight. :D :wink: