Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dalebrignall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

a few spares can get you out of a hole

Post by dalebrignall »

i was driving round the m25 on sunday and everything suddenly went quiet . lucky for me there was a sliproad next to me i dived in there so i was safe .i banged the fuel pump that was fine , looked at the coil and one of the wires had come away from a spade connector . in my tool box i had a spare and some crimping pliers so i was on the road again in less than a minute .people laugh at what i have in the back of the car ,but i did not need the aa to get me home , i now have a roll of wire in the back now . ive made a more perminant repair so happy days .
[sig]5641[/sig]
NOEL
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: a few spares can get you out of a hole

Post by NOEL »

well done for thinking it through, I think many of use have a just in case set of items, I have the normal points ,condenser rotor arm (again) after using a spare last time, plugs , tape, hoses and so on. Mostly piece of mind is worth a lot and you hope you don1t have to use them but being on the M25 and breaking must have been a worry even when you know what you are doing. My wife says why do you have so many things in the toolbox taking up room , you have just answered the question.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

ive got hoses , fuel pum,p distributer, coil , head gasket , rotor arms plugs ignition lead set duck tape even some wheel nuts ,what do other people have
[sig]5641[/sig]
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

I always go by. If you've got it you don't need it. I do classic trials. Its surprising how creative you can be when something breaks. I haven't got anything in my moggie yet. But iv got a new fuel pump, hoses and things that il carry. Will also get some nos points to carry. Probably won't carry water or oil unless I'm going far. A 2 litre bottle crunched up can come in handy for water and fuel. Plumbers tape is also a life saver if a fuel union starts to leak. We have 2 coils mounted under the bonnet. Instant gasket some tap washers and screws can fix a punctured fuel leak. Even carry tyre levers and an old stenor bead breaker. Probably over things aswell. Heard the other day you can use the choke as a throttle cable to get you home. Of course I wont be carrying all these in the minor. Will just have some basic tools. A length of wire. Points and a condenser. Maybe an old spark plug and my RAC breakdown card.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Iv been tempted to get some of this. Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290841223160