Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Road tax renewal and MOT

Post by palacebear »

I bought my 1956 Moggie in mid-May last year from a classic car dealer, who had the car MOT tested prior to delivering it, despite it being MOT exempt. The date of first registration is quoted correctly on the V5 as 27/8/1956. I've recently had the V11 road tax reminder/renewal in the post and I notice it includes the the statement 'This vehicle requires an appropriate test certificate'. I'm not particularly worried as the car will be MOT tested again this year anyway... just a little confused!! Any ideas anyone??
1956 4-door called Max
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Road tax renewal and MOT

Post by mogbob »

Panic not. Double check your V5 if you like. If registration , pre 1/1/1960 is correct e.g. " 27/ 5/ 1956 " and the "D5 " section of the V5 shows " Historic " status , then all is well.
A search on the DVLA website will go through the MOT / taxation exemption stuff.
I admire your decision to voluntarily re test your car... you are a wise man. I do all my own maintenance and like most people I am apprehensive taking the car to the Test Station each year. I get a buzz / sense of pride when the Inspector says those magic words it's passed. It's re-assuring when a professional says good work and it means I haven't missed anything.
Bob
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Looks like you need to declare it for mot exemption. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-from-mot
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

It should not be necessary, at that age to make a declaration but DVLA being what they are ...... They had not, until recently at any rate fixed the glitch in the software that stops you taxing on line because it still demanded MOT. Therefore we had, last time at least, to do it at the Post Office as their systems can be overwritten to note that no MOT is required.

Worth querying though as per the last post.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Just posted a lengthy reply to mogbob which seems to have disappeared into cyberspace :(
Short version: V5 info shows first reg date in 1956 and tax class as historic. Fortunate to have a local garage/MOT station which still employs a couple of old-school mechanics (as opposed to 'fitters' - no offence intended). MOT tester is Moggie friendly too !
Thanks to greendefender for pointing me towards the V112 exemption declaration.
Thnaks also to firedrake. I phoned DVLA this morning and was assured I shouldn't need V112 so we'll see I suppose! As tax expires end of April and MOT in mid May I've already renewed the tax on-line under the validity of the current MOT.
1956 4-door called Max
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

It will be fine. I had the same on my renewal notice for a 1955 model. Just a mistake on the part of DVLA. Although I do have an MOT certificate, it wasn't needed for road tax renewal. 8)
Adrian Pearse
Minor Friendly

Post by Adrian Pearse »

As I've said many times before, to get the MoT exemption the car must be currently MoT'd and then you apply for the exemption. So many people think they can by Pre 60 car with no MoT and drive it. As well as people who have just finished a resto think they can go straight on the road. no you can't. No MoT is no MoT.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I didn't find that to be the case. I've never had to "apply for exemption". What makes you think that you do? I simply go to the Post Office each year and tax my 1958 Minor. It hasn't been MOT'd for years although obviously I keep on top of the maintainance and repairs properly.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Following my phone call to DVLA yesterday the full extent of the advice I was given (by an earnestly-helpful but slightly out-of-his-depth assistant) was firstly to renew the tax on-line. If 'the system' rejects my application due to absence of current MOT, then apply instead at a Post Office, taking with me V11 (renewal), V112 (exemption declaration), V5 (reg doc for proof of first reg date) and insurance certificate. Once the V112 has been processed he 'thought I should' be able to renew tax on-line in subsequent years but he couldn't rule out an annual trip to the Post Office with all the paperwork.

As stated earlier in this thread, I'm not using the car's age or low useage as an excuse to avoid the MOT. It's being tested next Tuesday. I don't think it hurts to have a fresh pair of eyes looking over the car once a year.
1956 4-door called Max